Dish Drying Mats

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Sep 5, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking of buying one (microfiber) as sometimes I need the extra space and rather than pile everything on, so what is the difference between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones? I can't see the point of buying an expensive one, but is there something I don't know about? There's a huge difference in price in some of them so anyone with an explanation (other than brand and size) please reveal.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thank you for creating this thread because we also need drying mats for the dishes. Ours is the double sink where the half has a metal strainer for drying the dishes. But I think the drying mat would be more appropriate so the drying would be faster (our kitchen lacks ventilation). I had seen that microfiber in the supermarket but I have no clear idea what it is. And when I buy, I would get the expensive drying mats because that would be more economical in the long run... I guess.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never even seen these before. They sound like a great idea for some but I don't think I'd really make use of them. There's only two of us at home so there is never that much washing up to do. I use a drying rack and finish everything on it off with a clean tea towel before putting them away. I don't like to leave cutlery and glass to dry on it's own, I always find this causes streaks.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there will be a massive difference as far as sitting on the ground is concerned. The feel of the fibre might be a bit nicer if you go for something more expensive, though I doubt it'll make any difference to the dish drying process. That said, I'd be willing to bet that cheaper brands will come apart in the washer / dryer much more easily if you ever need to clean 'em. You probably will, too, given how cruddy stuff 'round the sink tends to become over time.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of heavy duty drying mats and they are really nice to have around. I do not like having a drying rack laying around and the mat can be easily stowed away. I dry the dishes on the mat and then wait for the mat to dry out. After that I tuck it away back in the cupboard until I need to dry dishes again.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aldi have one on offer at £1.49 and John Lewis and Lakeland have them priced £7-15.

I used them when I was in the US and they are more readily available and a few dollars, but are useful if you are cooking a big meal or when you use lot's of pots and pans. That's my main thing as I never have room if I use more than two pans.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have a fairly inexpensive dry mat that I use every day. It's absolutely fantastic and has held up well to the washer. I don't put it in the dry but I think it would handle it ok as well. I love using it and it can be tidied up quickly it a drawer to make more counter space. I don't think there is any need to spend too much on one. You can pick them quite cheaply at Target or Walmart.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree has them for, you guessed it, $1. They're microfiber with a bit of padding inside. I personally wouldn't spend any more than $1 for one of these, so there is no sense spending more on some fancy brand name version or some overpriced infomercial product.

I have a couple that I use from time to time, mainly for when I am washing a bunch of glasses and other delicate bowls or plateware, that I want to air dry for a bit before I put them away. I really only use them when I am washing by hand, otherwise I just throw everything in the dishwasher and let them dry in there instead.

Since they are only $1 I would possibly even considering lining some of my cupboards with them. I'm just a little concerned about them becoming dirty and possibly moldy.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the dish rack gets full we set the dishes on the side to dry. I usually use a dish towel to absorb the water from the dishes. I have not thought about purchase one of the new micro fiber towels to for the dish rack, if it gets too wet I just get another towel.