Disk Recovery Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by GLOGIK • Aug 1, 2014.

1. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hello everyone, It shouldn't be new to those of us who are tech savvy that not all failed hard disks should be discarded. Disk recovery programs come to our aid in this regard. I've personally had to try a few disk recovery programs, but I'll like to know the ones you've used, your experience with them, and possibly your recommendations.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Recuva. Both the old and new versions. The old version which you won't find anywhere on the net was great at recovering files. The newer versions though can recover files, mark them as being in great condition but when you try opening them you find out that the files are corrupt. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as recovery software [unless you find the oldest versions].

3. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi Denis Hard, thanks for stopping by. I had never heard about Recuva before now. I also used a Recovery Software called RecoverMyFiles. The software looks like it suffers from the same problem as the the newer version of Recuva, as you stated above. It sure recovers some files, but most often than not, the files it recovers, opened, appear to be corrupted.

A question I want to ask though is: What's the old version of the said Recuva? I mean, what's the version number? Just so I can know it's not the newer version, if I happen to stumble on it.

Once again, thanks for your contribution, I really appreciate.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the version number. All I know is I used two or three years back. 2012 or 2011. Like I said, you won't find those old versions of recuva so you'd have no option but to download the newer version. But since it's not the only data recovery software, you could try others.

5. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Sure thing Denis Hard, I'm currently playing around with a few Disk Recovery Programs. Hopefully, I'll soon be posting my findings here on the forum.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond; I really appreciate.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use EASEUS Data Recovery Software. You can preview the files first before retrieving them to see if they're corrupt or not, but only the pictures. It's free to download too, and so far I'm satisfied with it's performance, so just look for it online.

7. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi sidney, thanks a lot for sharing. I really appreciate. Before now, I had never heard about EASEUS. I'm surely going to download and try it out. I'll add it to my list if it passes my test.

However, I'll like to know if you've used RecoverMyFiles. It's also a disk recovery program, and heard a lot about it. If you've used it, please let me know what your experience has been like.

Thanks again for sharing. I really appreciate.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Recuva for all my drives and it did a great job for me so I would recommend it and it's all free. Also I've heard somewhere that if you out your hard drive in the freezer for some time you can make it work and possibly recover the files, but I think it only applies on dead drives rather than those you accidentally erased.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's quite an odd way to recover data from a "retiring" hard drive, but I googled the info, and people seem to say that it worked for them. I guess I will take note of this and try it in the future when the need arises.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like I've tried every software out there. It's so complicated to try and get your files back. If you even find them they're usually corrupt so I opted for a recovery service instead. It's super expensive but if the files are that important I say money is no object.
    I think a recovery software is only okay if you've accidentally deleted. If your hard drive crashed then most likely the files have been overwritten.