Disposable Razors

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • May 30, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't shave that often so I tend to buy only cheap razors but I find that they get dull extremely quickly and I'm thinking if I should just buy a reusable one instead. I'm wondering if I would possibly be better off and get to save a lot more by buying something more long lasting or if I should just stick to using disposable ones since I don't really shave that frequently anyway. Do you guys favor disposable razors over reusable ones and if so, do you have any particular favorite brands you would recommend?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually just grab the cheap throw-away ones too. Having four daughters will do that to you. One sneaks your razor (and puts in a new blade of course), and then the next one does the same thing. You never have a blade haha. So, I just grabbed whichever brand had the biggest pack for cheap, as long as it was double or triple blade. Those single blade things are horrible. Now that most of my kids are grown, I get to have a real razor again. I don't have a particular favorite. I get something on sale.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never actually tried a reusable one. I’ve always just used the double-bladed disposable ones, though I do get the Gillette Daisy ones with the Simply Venus triple-bladed sample. And weirdly enough I feel like the good ol’ double-bladed ones work better. I don’t know why. I try to make them last with

Which does work, but I don’t know if I’d say I get a whole extra 20 months out of it. Especially since I forget to do it sometimes, haha. It’s maybe more like a month or two for me, but I still think it’s worth the effort.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a reusable one. I hardly ever shave either, but the one that was purchased for me has lasted a really long time. It came with three in a pack, and they were not even brand name reusable razors, I don't think. But they have lasted me a really long time, and the blades are still very sharp and they get the job done whenever I decide that I'd like to be smooth again lol.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard of the forearm trick. I just went to have a look. I noticed the jeans idea too. Since I have some scrap denim, I think I'm going to give that a try. That's just pretty cool. I like how they explained it. It makes sense. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

Double blade is generally good enough for me too. I just can't stand those single blade ones.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy high quality razors for men, as they last a lot longer than the usual fancy ones for ladies. My razor has 5 blades and I always keep it clean after every shave. That way it often lasts up to three months before I have to buy a new one. Admittedly, I don't have a strong hair growth, and only ever use the razor on my legs.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Buy the high-quality ones. I used to buy the disposable Schick razors with two blades, but they make my skin bumpy. There are five-bladed razors for women that you can buy at the mall. Right now, I am using a Philips wet/dry electric razor.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Used the expensive reusable ones for awhile but switched to the disposable cheap ones to save money. Don't really mind it doesn't get dull too quick I can use it for a few weeks maybe a month shaving every other day. The cost saving is significant. Does have to be a half decent one. I don't want to spend more than $10 on shaving a month.
    Actually I need to stock up soon, anyone know where there are some good deals?

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you are living in the U.S., I heard there are a few companies that actually send you new shaving supplies each month and if I remember correctly the monthly fee isn't too steep. I think it's mostly only useful to those who shave a lot daily, though. I personally don't shave that much so I don't need anything that regular or strong, luckily, but I've heard some good comments about this type of service and from what I hear the quality of the products are also very good so they definitely sound like they are worth checking out.

10. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yea that dollar shave club. I looked into that, great deal in the USA. Here in Canada its not that much cheaper.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Never heard of the forearm trick but now that I've read about it, it seems dangerous, haha! I also saw one article that uses jeans to get more out of your razor so that might be more suitable for me.
    I've been a user of disposable razors ever since. I don't always use razors so the disposable ones are fine by me. I suggest to just stick to those since you're not always shaving as well. But there are a lot of high end ones which people swear buy. If you're up for it, give it a try!

12. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I use Gillette mach-3. It combines 3 perfectly positioned blades and gives me a pretty close and smooth shave. I sport a clean face, so I shave off my mustache too. I shave regularly and never felt the need for a disposable one. If you don't shave often, you grow a big beard and need to trim it off first, before going for a clean shave.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For someone who doesn't shave often disposable razors are great. I shave only once in two months and when I buy a disposable razor I can use it three times before I get rid of it. However for someone who shaves daily, you'll be spending more money if you used disposable razors. You'd save some cash if you bought "regular" razors.