Disposable toilet seat covers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Gelsemium • Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are disposable, meaning, some are automatic, once you leave the toilet the disposable seat automatically is removed and a new one is placed, in others is a manual process, I guess that when you leave you put that "seat" to the garbage and who enters again put new ones.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my God. Really? That is so cool. I had originally thought that there would have to be a cleaning lady in the toilets at all time, just waiting for people to get done using the toilet, so that she could go and change the disposable covers. But the fact that these seats swap themselves out automatically is brilliant. I don't even know if these covers exist in the UK, but I feel like they should. Great idea.

3. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of people who already seem to do this with toilet paper anyways, so the first person to make a product like this is in the market to make quite a bit of money, and is probably a pretty smart guy haha. Anyways, I hope to see this soon in my country, as I'm sure they'll sell pretty well, as long as they're reasonably priced that is.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I lived in California, every single public toilette had disposable seat covers available. And that was great!! Sadly, where I currently live, there's no such thing. In fact, it's the rarest thing to find disposable seat covers. I think they are necessary specially for girls and female toilettes and would love them to be mandatory. But I don't see them becoming mandatory anytime soon.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    When I do have to use a public restroom - as much as I hate and try to avoid having to do so - I always use my own paper. I know how people work. People always think life is a laugh when they are doing things to other people. I used to know this girl who would wipe her wee on the toilet paper when she would use public toilets -_- Just because she thought it was funny that another person would use that piece of tissue. Awful huh?

I haven't used public toilet paper since. I always have a couple packets of tissue with me at all times.

6. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Everybody seems to like the derned paper things. Nearly everytime I use a public restroom and somebody has used either toilet paper or the disposable jobs I wind up having the displeasure of taking them off of the seat so I can use it.
    Folks just do not realize that they are asking other folks to mess around with what they left behind. Let's see, how does the scenario go.
    Person sees toilet. Person covers toilet because they want to be cleaner. They use toilet. They leave the cover behind because they do not want to touch what their own rears touched, but they will leave it for you to do. Yup....sounds right!!

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well that is why I was previously asking how the whole thing worked - whether or not the toilets had a cleaning lady or man on hand to change the disposable covers once someone leaves the toilet stall after having done their business. I had initially thought that disposable seat covers were a good idea, but I am certainly not changing one, knowing that a complete stranger has used it previously. Yuk!!! Where there is a problem, there is a way to make money. Maybe someone should make it so that there is a job opportunity involved here.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that would be funny, having the cleaning staff there all the time... :D That would be impossible! Either cases, even being automated I guess it's just too expensive for restaurant owners to support because in fact it's very rare for me to see them.

9. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    haha I totally agree.I definitely do not prefer using public restrooms at all unless it is a SERIOUS emergency.There have been times at work where I had no choice but to use the public restroom if I was working overtime or longer hours to the point where I could no longer hold it.I even try to limit the fluids I drink while I am out to keep from having to go.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I have no problems using them considering that they are clean, but having this disposable toilet seat is indeed a major plus. On the other hand if I was a restaurant owner I would consider the costs, so it's something that will not be widely used I am afraid.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I've never seen one. I think quite a few people just lace the toilet seat itself in a few sheets of toilet paper. I would love to see disposable covers though. What establishment have you seen use them?

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We had them at work, but I always found them too cumbersome to use. We had these kinds:

toilet_seat_cover_1.

The big problem with these was that the "flap" in the center would drop into the toilet water then the whole sheet would start soaking up the water and it would pull the whole cover into the toilet before you could turn around and sit down on it. They were also very thin, so if there was urine and other stuff splattered on the seat cover, it would soak right through the toilet seat cover and still get on you.

Plus they were perforated where the opening was in the center so you had to fumble around trying to tear these super thin sheets apart. I was also mortified if they would clog the toilet up since we didn't have plungers in the bathroom.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've never seen that model Tom, the ones I've seen are plastic and are automatically "inserted" over the toilet seat as soon as we stand up. That paper ones don't seem to comfortable indeed, but it's better than nothing in my opinion.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can never get these things to stay put. We had them at my prior workplace, and every time I tried to use them, the middle flap part would touch the water then the weight of the water tension would pull the whole thing into the toilet before I could sit down.

Worse yet, if I did manage to sit down on it, if you're going"#2" it will hit and get stuck to that paper flap instead of going directly into the toilet water - which can get rather messy. I'll spare everyone the gory details though.

A McDonalds near us has some sort of automated toilet seat covers which are sort of interesting, but I still don't trust them to be clean enough. It's basically a plastic wrap that covers the toilet seat all the way around, and there are two motorized apparatuses on both sides of the seat. When someone gets up, they are activated, and one side pulls in the dirty plastic, while the other side dispenses fresh plastic covers.

It would probably be easier if I showed you an image of what they look like:

l.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I see them in most restrooms in my area.

I pretty much never use them, though. I don't find any comfort in them personally and they're mostly just a waste.

16. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Although they may offer limited protection against germs, i think these covers are worthwhile. They do make using public lavatories a slightly more pleasant experience. Here in the UK you can buy a pack of these for just £1 so very affordable.

I definitely think that hospitals could benefit from using these even if the protection is limited. Anything is better than nothing in the fight against germs.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I never used to pay them much attention, but have since started using them. A friend of mine totally convinced me that there are a number of weird and just plain nasty (mentally) people in the world who will do things just because they can. Also that it pays in the long run to recognize that there are some serious diseases in the world and anyone can get them. Anywhere. So be careful in public restrooms if you have to use one.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Apart from all the costs that it carries to the owners of the establishments that could have them, that is most likely the second most strong reason why they are not so common, eventually they are not practical and convenient to the users and they might end up making a bigger mess.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a country where even toilet paper is a luxury. It's true that in many schools there is no toilet paper or soap available for the students. They have to bring it themselves. Also, you will hardly ever find toilet paper in public toilets or in any of the cheaper restaurants. Many people here are not aware of disposable toilet seat covers. They may have heard of it from relatives who live overseas, or seen it on TV, but the reality is that you won't find them in any shop here.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never seen these for sale anywhere in the UK. Going by the price, I assume they can be obtained from pound shops?

I do squats five times a week and I'm always grateful I keep this up whenever I visit a public loo! There is no way I'm sitting on the seat. The worst, though, are those metal toilets which have no seat at all!