Diy Cosmetics

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Polgie • Jan 29, 2015.

1. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    Was just wondering if anybody has tried making your own cosmetics? Seems like not all that much trouble, cheaper and better for the environment. So wins all around! I haven't tried it, but wonder if anybody else had and what their experience was?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to do this myself, although I have heard of other people having made their own make up. I have also read articles about how to go about doing this. To be honest I never found the time to do so myself. I do wear more natural forms of make up when I do wear make up. Which isn't too often these days. I tend to prefer to keep it as natural as possible. I know from research that I have done in the past as an article writer the dangerous chemicals found in common cosmetics.

3. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I've made my own lotion by whipping up coconut oil and adding lavender essential oil. I LOVE it, and it also makes a great gift.

I also make diaper cream for my daughters by combining coconut oil, beeswax, and lavender EO.

But- deodorant? Eek. I don't think I'd want to do that.

4. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    That's great to hear, jcort! I was told once that oil (you can use coconut or olive oil if you want to feel less 'cheap', but otherwise, normal vegetable oil works too) is actually really good for dry skin. It'd definitely be cheaper than the really expensive lotions on offer for dry skin.

My boyfriend uses hand sanitiser when he's forgotten his deodorant, and he says it works fine. I heard deodorant in stores does have harmful metals, so it may be worth trying it out just to see whether it works?

5. saastil

saastilNew Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. In the last couple months I've begun making my own soap, lotion (whipped shea butter), lip balm, sugar scrubs and bath salts (the good kind!). It's so good!! I also make facial masks and deodorant, and I'm going to try out my own toothpaste too.

Soapqueen.com has a ton of great recipes, and you can just google "homemade XXX" and you're find tons of results. It feels so good to know exactly what's going into my products, and the quality is so much better than anything I can buy in the store in the same price range.

I don't really use cosmetics myself, but Soap Queen has recipes for homemade mascara. I make lip balm with extra color and this work as a lipstick for me. I do use a mix of bentonite clay and tapioca powder as a very light dusting powder to get rid of shine.