DIY De-worming methods please!

Discussion in Pets started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 26, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My puppy had worms and so we got him a shot about 3 weeks ago. Two days ago he began throwing up and still had worms. I don't I think the first shot was strong enough, so he got two more in his legs. Now he is limping because the shots were strong and I would have thought he should have pooped or thrown up more worms but yesterday - nothing. Now I am worried the 2nd shots aren't working either. Does anyone have any home remedies that might help. I have read garlic might help but then other sites say it is highly toxic for dogs so I'm worried to use it on a puppy. Another site said cloves, which I have here in abundance, but I am wondering if there are any side effects of giving him that. One site said you have to be careful with spices with dogs. Any advise?

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    First I have to wonder what kind of shots are being given for worms. I've never heard of giving shots for worms. DO NOT give the puppy garlic. You can go to the store and buy a big tube of strongid, it is horse wormer, but contains the same medicine as used for dogs and cats. Obviously you have to dose it down according to his weight, so you need to weigh him, then look up the correct dosage for his weight. Obviously do not give him a whole horse sized tube. That will kill hooks and rounds. Tapes require different medication and it is more expensive. What kind of worms does he have? A natural remedy a lot of people use is food grade diatomaceous earth. Since it is food grade they can eat it and it will not hurt them, but I have not tried it.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much! I thought the same thing but because he kept giving shots, I assumed that was the right thing to do; I always thought it was a pill. We do have a shop in town that caters to farm animals, so possibly they will have this horse pill you are speaking of. I haven't thought to weight him, so I'm going to do that today. Thanks for the tip on not giving him garlic, I was thinking that would decrease his blood pressure too much. I am careful to make sure he is out of the house anytime I am cooking with it for fear he might swallow some. I'm not sure what type of worm it was though, they are long and white like strings. I will try to find some photos on the internet so I can better determine which kind they are. Thanks again!

4. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Hi there, it is not a pill, it is a paste in a tube. And it is strongid not strongoid. Ack my typing. Anyway, you can get (per 'Amazon prices) a liquid 32 ounce for $32 or you can get a 2.4 oz paste for 12.98. The 2.4 ounces is probably more than you will use before it goes bad unless you have an enormous dog. You will need a syringe (no needle) to dispense. Most vets will give you one for free. My cats are 10 lbs and the dose for a 10 lb cat is 1 cc so you can see how long a 2.4 ounce tube would last. You can get pills beut I find the paste easier as it is harder to spit out. Good luck.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have dogs but my cats were dewormed and it wasn't shots, it was like an oral paste medicine. It was just $10 at the Humane Society. I would strongly recommend going to a vet and not trying home methods. Would you risk your pet's life to save a a few dollars? Did you got the shot from a licensed vet? If you took it to a vet and you disagree with the treatment look for a second opinion. We had a guy here that pretended to be a vet and thankfully he was arrested, but he "treated" a lot of dogs that ended up getting worse because he really didn't know what he was doing. If the person who sold you the shots isn't authorized to sell them you might want to report it to the authorities. WHo knows what he injected in your dog, if it caused any harm or if he's harmed other animals. A legit vet should be able to explain what the shots are and why he administered that treatment.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    He must really be infested. What are you feeding him? Does he go out? Having your pet dewormed by a vet can be really expensive especially if it's the injectable type. So, what I do is to buy nematocide from the pet store. There's a measurement guide in the packaging of this medication. When there is no nematocide, I just buy the dewormer for children. This works for my dogs and cats. Just make sure that you will weigh your dog properly. Also, don't deworm your puppy every week or so because that is very harmful.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Black walnut green hulls herbal extract is my go to natural remedy. You give 1 drop for every 10 pounds for 10 days and it cures the worms. I have used this for my dog and other animals numerous times. I have heard about the cloves as well, but you only give one third of the clove crushed. If I remember correctly, I think it is for 2 weeks, but I have not tried this one because the black walnut green hulls always works for me.

8. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Well strongid is home deworming in that you are doing it at home, but it is the same stuff many vets offices use. Old rescuers' trick...same as buying the large dog Advantage for fleas from Australia and dosing it out for the cats. Although food grade diatomaceous earth is home treatment, but it is totally harmless - it is food grade - they can eat it and it won't harm them at all.