Diy Deodorant

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Mar 2, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The other day I was reading about how harmful commercial deodorants are. They contain all kinds of nasty things such as parabens, aluminium and many other ingredients that have been linked to cancer, as they get absorbed through the skin into the body.
    I came across some Diy deodorant recipes that mention the use of coconut oil, baking soda, corn starch and other harmless organic ingredients that apparently work really well.
    Have you ever tried making your own deodorant?

2. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I have not tried to make my own deodorant but lately I have been using a product called Diatomaceous for many different reasons. Long story short I have stopped using deodorant and have sprinkled this on as if it is a baby powder and there is no odor. I have not tried this while working out but so far it absorbs sweat and odor and there are no flakes. I also use coconut oil for my skin and apply it everywhere including my armpits before applying diatomaceous.

I hope this helps.

3. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I have not made my own deodorant, but I've done the next best thing - purchased homemade deodorant from reputable sellers on Etsy that have baking soda, coconut oil, essential oils, etc. in them. My one warning is if you make or buy homemade deodorant, be wary of the concentration of baking soda in it. Baking soda can severely irritate your underarms when it reacts with perspiration if the concentration is too high. That said, I can never go back to commercial antiperspirants. In my opinion, sweat is natural and I don't want a bunch of junk in my body stopping it. Deodorant works fine for me, and ever since stopping antiperspirants, I actually sweat less. I guess my body just adjusted.

4. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I am interested in learning about making my own deodorant. I'm curious about where people buy the tubes that you use to put the deodorant in. Ebay? Etsy? Amazon? Somewhere else I am not thinking about? That is really what is stopping me right now. I'm not sure where to find the containers.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand concerns about commercial deodorants, but I've not considered making my own home made version. I'm not sure I'd even want to try. If anything, I'd probably look for more organic, natural ones in a health store. I can imagine making your own being messy and a hassle, to be honest.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I have never considered making my own deodorant even though I realize the commercial brands have some harmful ingredients. I would give it a try but would have to look for a recipe without coconut oil because I am allergic to coconut.

I do like Lushlala's suggestion of looking for an organic or all natural deodorant in the health store.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't actually tried making a DIY deodorant, but I do use baking soda as my deodorant, because other commercial deodorants somehow make my underarms a bit itchy which is kind of irritating (maybe because of the harmful substances mixed into them). And I can definitely attest to baking soda's effectiveness, not to mention, it's way cheaper too. It works pretty good to me.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love DIY household and beauty products, but so far haven't tried deodorant. That sounds like something I might take a look at, though, since it's been brought up. If it isn't too big of a mess or a hassle I might try it. If not much else besides coconut oil and baking soda with some essential oils thrown in is needed then I might already have everything with which to do it.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder if it is diatomaceous earth that you are referring to. You say you sprinkle it on, so it must be the fossil powder. I've been using diatomaceous earth internally for treating a nasty tropical parasite that I just couldn't get rid of. I have also used it on my cat in the past to get rid of fleas, and around the house. Though, I didn't know that you can use it as deodorant as well. Thanks a lot for the tip!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have reduced the amount of deodorant because of the chemicals in the product. I do use baking soda to absorb odor, I sweat a lot, nothing stops the sweating. It does help to switch back and forth or at least it makes me feel better that I have reduced the amount of chemicals I have exposed my body to.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never made my own deodorant before. The closest I have come is spraying on a witch hazel, rose water mixture. I do use aluminum-free and paraben free deodorant and I have even tried out a crystal stone. It worked for me, but in the heat of the summer, I use deodorant.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I am not the leat bit surprised that corn starch and baking soda can be used an an alternative to deorderant. Both items especially corn starch absorb moisture and can help prevent moisture on the body. I did find it interesting that coconut oil is also used in the ingredients listed above. I guess this is to add some fragrance to the over all mixture. As someone else mentioned there are those crystal stones which are natural on the market. But these aren't cheap, the good thing is they will last a whole lot longer then average deorderant, which of course have chemicals in it. However, in the state of Arizona the crystal stones aren't too effective in the summer months, a person needs better protection and even fragrance take my word on that. So, I will admit that I still use the chemical deorderant that is on the market.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    You can make it yourself, but I prefer to simply buy paraban free deodorant. Potassium Alum is a compound containing aluminium that is too large to penetrate skin pores. However it still has the anti bacterial effect.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried the mixture? Sounds sticky :p

I love DIY but never really thought about doing something with chemical alternatives. I guess I would just buy an "organic" deodorant in health shops, instead of creating one to use. :)

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I couldn't be bothered with the fuss of making my own. I don't have sensitive skin under my arms and good, effective deodorants can easily be bought for around £1.

16. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I never was too worried about the components of deodorants -- I know they have been linked to harmful effects, but "linked" is a vast word, and rarely proves a cause. For me to be worried, they would need to demonstrate that, in the base quantity present in the deodorant and then in the quantity you apply to yourself, to the quantity that does penetrate you -- this is the part that matters, after all -- that the quantity is enough that any link of causation can be apparent.

That being said, I rarely ever use deodorant, so I would not be worried anyway. I do like LUSH products, though -- homemade and smelling so strongly amazing.

17. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't make my own deodorant, but I do buy from a reputable Etsy seller, DJDeodorants. She is incredibly knowledgeable about the essential oils she uses, and I appreciate that.

I'm happy to have stopped using commercial deodorants with all the harmful ingredients, and I feel like this is one way I can take the best care of myself possible. :)

18. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    No deodorant is a must. I will not even attempt anything else or I will smell like the largest pile of 30 year old unwashed clothing ever.