Diy Desk Organizers

Discussion in Office Supplies started by cocolgooh • Apr 26, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever made your own Diy desk organizer? I've been thinking about making some of these recently. I was thinking of using cereal boxes to make paper organizers and some wrapping paper rolls to make pen holders. I thought about also making a tissue box cover to go on the box of tissues I have in my office so that I can make it a bit more personalised, and save money on keeping my desk tidy. Do you have any ideas to add to what I'm planning to do? Or any additional ideas for me?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love doing stuff like this.

I would glue on an extra layer of cardboard (maybe from another cereal box) to make the organizers more sturdy before decorating them. Decorating with some of that left over wallpaper would also help make it a bit sturdier instead of using regular paper.

I also like the idea of using painted or covered cans (from soup, veggies, etc.) as pencil holders and whatnot. You could then use a tuna can or other shorter can for holding things like paper clips, and decorate it to match the pencil holder.

I use poster board instead of a desk blotter too. I got some on sale 3 for $1.00, so it's not a big deal if I need a replacement.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I do this all the time, but I use chocolate boxes! You can't imagine how much you can do with a chocolate box with a bit of paint (or even wrapping paper). I usually use the bottom of the box as the base and if I need to add in little sections, I glue in pieces of the lid. It works out pretty well. A lot of chocolate boxes where I am are sturdier than the cereal boxes, hence why this suggestion.

I've also seen many individuals using cans and covering it with wrapping paper as a pencil holder, I usually use an old mug with a bit of a paint job haha.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always concerned with using cans that the sharp edges might catch my hands if I use those, but I'm sure I could find some way to soften that. Maybe an old sock rolled over the top could be a good solution! I seem to have an abundance of those lately!

I was thinking I might try using the boxes that pouches of cat food come in as well. Those are pretty sturdy, but an awkward size. I might be able to cut them down, though, and use the cardboard to strengthen other areas!

Thanks for the ideas guys!

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have made my own DIY desk organisers as well. Here's a few ideas that I can give you:
    • Use old jars as pen organisers. I love using old peanut butter jars and even mason jars for organising my pens, highlighters and even rulers. You can even decorate them with paint or washi tape to make them more interesting.
    • Stacked cardboards. You can just stack several cardboards together and cut out a hole in some of them. Voila! You have your very own caddy for your phone, pens and even papers.
    • Wood Pencil Holder. Any varnished piece of wood might work for this. Just dig up some holes in the wood and you have an instant pen holder.
    • Shoe box and tissue holders. You can just stick the tissue holders in the shoe box and you have pen holders. Design them as you want with decorative paper or washi tape.
    I hope this helps!

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Great ideas you guys! I have always been scared of using cans for pens too. I'm scared tht I'll cut my hand on the sharp edges. I like using glass jars or cute coffee mugs to store my pens.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would second the idea of using an old can covered with contact paper or some kind of wrap as a pen or pencil holder. I have seen a lot of these at craft shows and online. They make very cute pens and pencil holders. It is one of the things that you can get forward to. It is just one of the options you might want to use and enjoy.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jars work great too. I especially like any of the "odd" pr interestingly shaped ones.

As for cans, when you cover them, you can make sure the wallpaper or fabric or whatever goes over the top. Secure it on the inside where it covers the rough area of the opening. There are other ways to deal with it too, such as one I saw where they glued thin cardboard inside and lined the whole inside.

I'm thinking I should make a cuter desk blotter now. My current one does need to be replaced. I could add some fabric or wallpaper on top of the poster board, leaving an inch or two for a boarder.

9. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    It's amazing how many things you can use around your house to decorate your desk and office. I actually took masking tape that was the color of my office accents and decorated the front of my filing cabinet to give it an abstract appearance. I took a cardboard tube that is used for shipping blueprints and what not, spray painted it, and turned it into a floor vase. I love DIY things :)

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sometimes use the rolls of paper towels to put my pens in or to hold in cords but they are mostly only used temporarily because I still prefer professionally made items to decorate and organize my workspace. The only time I'd be willing to put in permanent compromises is if the item was hidden so I wouldn't see it so in this way I use paper clamps to organize the wires behind my computer but that's about it. Unless I am able to make a DIY organizer that can seem really good looking I just choose to buy because I'm honestly not very good with my hands in that way and my DIY projects always turn out looking messy.

11. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I made a few of these some time ago based off of diy tutorials I found on Youtube. I emptied out a box from a perfume I had just purchased (but you can use a shoe box or any other box you have lying around) and spray painted it white. I've also heard of people decorating the outside of the box with wash tape or cute scrapbooking paper. Then I used tin cans (like the ones canned soup come in) and wrapped those is colorful cardstock. Then I try to find little boxes to make compartments in my box and I arrange all the little boxes and hot glue them down. It's really easy to personalize and looks super cute in my room. I definitely suggest making one to anyone who could use some extra organization on their desk/dresser.