DIY garden art

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Jan 23, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am planning to make my garden ( balcony) look a little more attractive.. I was scouring the web for some ideas and did not find anything to suit my garden.. do you have any ides for garden crafts which can make my garden look pretty.. All workable ideas are highly appreciated.. even if they cannot fit my garden they could help someone here.. Thanks.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a couple of DIY garden art ideas on the web. You can paint some plant pots and hang them up.

[​IMG]

You can make a windchime out of various colorful odds and ends.

[​IMG]

You could make a beaded suncatcher.

[​IMG]

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    This is my favorite Pintererst site to get garden ideas and inspiration from. Some of the ideas are way beyond my talents but others are fairly simple to make. It constantly changes so I tend to check it out about once a month for new ideas. I tend to discover other websites that I never would have found using this Pinterest site as well. Hope this helps you find some ideas!

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Vertical gardening is always great for sprucing up small spaces. It just makes things appear greener. I like wind chimes and I also like using placards in remembrance of my old pets who have passed away.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie I have a whole Pinterest board of gardening ideas for all sorts of things from making your own chemical free pest deterrents to creative things to do in and with the garden. Are you looking for something to display on a wall? How big of an area is your balcony?

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that those solar outdoor lights are relatively common these days, but this is a lo-fi way of getting the same effect for much cheaper:

Plus the fun thing is this isn't really limited to just mason jars, you could do this with all sorts of objects, or even stack them or hang them and make some sort of night time glowing sculpture or table centerpiece. Would be fun if you were having guests over.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh thank you everyone.
    @ACSAPA I love all those ideas.. i may use some in combination with others... I thgink a windchime with odds and ends is very workable. Thank you.
    @ Dissn-it, thank you for taht awesome pinterst board.. I have a few ideas .. that could work with my tiny garden.
    @chanell, my garden is a 3x5 ft balcony space crowded with plants. I was thinking of having some hooks and suspending some garden art or adding some stuff to the railings.
    @ Ohiotom, That is a great idea... but I already have a housefull of grow lights.. I would have taken this up with out thinking twice if I didn't have them.. so simple and easy.. thank you :)

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Vertical gardening is one of my favorite concepts for gardening, period...I think it looks beautiful and 'artsy' and it certainly is a great use of space. Hanging gardens are brilliant, as well. Perhaps make a sort of 'theme' of it- if you have colours that are predominant, for example, or plants specific to a certain culture, you could base it off of that.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like looking at the ideas on Pinterest. I hope to use some of the ideas in my garden this summer. We did recycle a straw couch in the garden by putting flowers all over it, like some people do with old chairs.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, I think this cute owl made from recycled materials could be a great addition to your garden!

focus+owl3.

Here's a link to the blog it came from with more images:

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, and here's another great idea! I think this little "wreath" of mini flower pots filled with succulents is really cute! It's art that is also a garden :)
    p6050015_00.

This is also from a blog that has other garden decor ideas:

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks Chanell. I had made the lid owl a few years earlier for our apartment garden.. but I love this other site you have provided the link to. Wow.. I wish I had the space for the container wreath.. but I think I can pick up some good ideas from this blog..

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to go with a couple of decorative mobiles. I'm not necessarily talking wind chimes though (although wind chimes are delightful) just mobiles that don't make any noise. Also how about hanging a decorative birdcage? Two or three small decorative cages? I don't know if one has been featured in one of the pinterest links because I didn't click on to any of them (too distracting! once I click on to something on pinterest, I seem to have a hard time getting out of there!)

I think anything that is hanging, that's pretty, and is something that you like, will work well. I say something hanging because I read here that you have a lot of plants in the space already. Perhaps you'd like some decorative tiny chairs, they really are plant holders but look like chairs that a small child would sit in. Maybe you can get a few of those and line them up against the short sides of the balcony and put plants on top of them. Or perhaps a tricycle (actually a plant holder) made out of bamboo, something to get some of the plants up off of the balcony floor.

#13Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Winnie, I would like some hanging stuff that is decorative as well.. I really have no space as my little garden 3x5 feet is cramped with more than a hundred plants.. LOL .. i just need something breezy to brighten up the space between the ceiling and the plant holder.
    Maybe some funky wind chime that I can make from odds and ends would be great.. thanks for taking the time to give those ideas.. i love the idea of nice chair or a bicycle as a plant holder. :)

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Here is something I found today.. I think it is brilliant..
    4013102746_b71c4f4e7a_o.
    The link to how to DIY

16. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    All these things are awesome! Unfortunately in my apartment complex we cant have anything in the balconies other than small patio furniture and a few plants - nothing on the walls, no grills - can't even hang up your clothes! If I lived somewhere else I would definitely try some of these ideas. The painted flower pots on the fence - SO CUTE!

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Mrs. Pirz, how about furniture like this ...
    garden-craft-ideas.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Mrs. Pirz, you should look into things you can put in your plants like decorative markers and painted stones. You can't hang anything, but can you use a folding screen? How about pots with mosaic finishes?

19. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    A beaded curtain with glass beads that will shine with light would be a beautiful accessory if space permits. I am thinking of making a short wall hanging that will be in different shades of gold and green to provide some shade and enliven my garden space.. this is currently only in my head..
    I could have some butterflies in .. hand punched tin foil to add interest to the space. I may work on this until I come up with something better.

20. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    A beaded curtain could be interesting, Maddie. What would be nice would be if you could erect a simple frame around the balcony with wood studs that would allow you to hang stuff overhead without needing to put holes anywhere in the balcony roof or walls. It would be similar to building the frame for a room.