Do air fresheners provide long-term relief?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by andrew320 • Aug 20, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I have always found that air fresheners provide short-term relief (short-term meaning a few minutes). Is it just me? Is it the Glade products I buy? Does anyone experience good long-term relief with air fresheners? As a matter of fact, I have always found scented candles to make the apartment smell nicer than the aerosol cans.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I stopped using aerosol cans after purchasing just a few, they really only last a couple of minutes. Candles are better. I am a loyal customer to Yankee Candle. They smell great and last a very long time if you take good care of them. Also, unlike other candles, 1 does the trick - you don't have to put a candle in ever room.

3. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    All sprays do is mask the odor with a layer of perfume. Once that settles out of the air, it's useless. Much better to simply get rid of anything that's causing unpleasant odors.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We call them "butt sprays" because we only use them in the bathrooms to freshen the air after someone...well, you know. For the rest of the house, we will either open a window or use a candle.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, scented candles are much more powerful than air fresheners. They last longer and if you have a 3hr burn time on a candle, then who needs aerosoles or plug in fresheners. Some aerosoles are really bad for your lungs anyway so we don't buy them that often. Also, having a really good clean out and scrub down makes all the difference, instead of trying to mask stale odours, etc.

6. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I think that part of the problem is that, like stated above, the layer of "perfume" settles and goes away, leaving the odors behind. But the problem is because the odor making offender is still there...still generating bad odors. So, using air fresheners should be used like you would use a perfume or cologne, after your shower and application of deoderant...it should be used as a final touch after removing all of the offending odor creators.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I much prefer natural fragrances as air fresheners. I always keep a bunch of herbs such as lavender, mint and parsley in the house. They give off such a fresh, clean aroma. In the winter, I'll boil some orange skins in a saucepan along with some cloves. Again, it's a fresh, natural smell, and it costs next to nothing. It doesn't have to come out of a spray can to be an air freshener.

8. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    No, they don't provide long-term results. I have tried all the different types of air fresheners, and the sprays definitely do NOT have lasting effects. However, the febreeze air fresheners that plug into the wall have better results, but you have to replace the cartridges every month. Keep in mind air fresheners contain chemicals that are harmful to your health. Nobody mentions it, but everyone should know about it. I don't use them anymore.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Those household sprays just go up in the air, and they come right back down. I wouldn't call that eliminating the problem it just makes it smell worse. You need something that has some lasting power. I have yet to see a product that can take on tough odor. They have a timed air freshener, but the problem with that it won't last long if it's firing off every 5-10 minutes.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Agreed.

That's the reason that the candles seem to work better for you, too. They're continuing to burn and will continue to provide fragrance instead of simply falling out of the air. It's still better to try to find the source of any odors though instead of covering them.

11. Nethervor

NethervorNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried many air fresheners, from many different brands but I can't really say I've been satisfied with any of them.
    All they do is keep the room fresh for 5 minutes, or even less.

12. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Yes, the air fresheners in the cans never seem to last very long not to mention they are so strong that they just about knock you out! The candles definitely last longer since they're slow burning. The scents aren't near as strong and they last, well, as long as the candle does :) The oil scents aren't that bad either although they don't tend to last as long as the candles especially since you can control how much the candles burn.

13. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Those products are made to kill your scent receptors so you dont smell the scents you are trying to cover up. Thats why you often cant smell them minutes later. That and your brain weeds out these background scents so you can pick up on new or foreign scents.

14. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I love scented candles. The Glade kind are a bit overpowering for me, but I get these eucalyptus ones that smell divine. The air fresheners do not last long at all and I find that they irritate my sinuses.

15. jose

joseMember

Threads:
    Yes, it depends on the the FRAGRANCE of perfume.

16. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I have two cats and their litterbox is in my bedroom. Every night, I will burn incense to help with the smell. It works beautifully! As long as it's burning, it's all you smell. If you want it to constantly smell like that you'll have to burn it almost constantly, but incense is cheap. I can go to a local place and get 10 sticks for less than a dollar. I find it much stronger and cheaper than any candles I've ever burned!

17. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have the same problem i brought some candles and literally there was no smell at all i don't know if it's because my living room is too big or what but it just burned and there was no smell at all

18. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely use aerosol cans as air fresheners nowadays especially when it has to cover a larger space such as the living room. Like many have said before, scented candles are the way to go, which is what I prefer using in any room of the house, but I also like the plug-in scents from Glade. Those are long-lasting, too, and sets off a pretty powerful scent that can cover a wider area.

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I hate commercial air fresheners. Many of them have unpleasant odors and quite a lot of them make me sneeze. If I want to use something to put a scent into the air in my home I usually burn incense. It lingers for quite a while and I can smell it in more than one room.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the posters who said that you should first remove or clean the actual source of the bad smells, like trash in the trashcan.

Once that's done , I like to used reed diffusers. A reed diffuser is a bottle of essential oil with reeds in it.
    The little sticks soak up the scented oil and give off a nice scent. A reed diffuser slowly runs out of oil and lasts a long time, so the scent doesn't vanish in 5 minutes. When you run out of oil, buy another bottle, they're not expensive.

21HGXw9STBL._AA160_.