Do air fresheners provide long-term relief?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by andrew320 • Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Andrew I am not a fan of those air fresheners. I tend to like a scented candle as well and I sort of like the flicker of the flame too, and it is not too much money and they seem to last a long time. I know I worked with a woman who used to like to burn incense. I thought that was okay but I sort of like the candle a bit better myself. Spray aerosols not so much for me anyway.
    Not sure if you are a fan of incense. I think I prefer it to sprays.
    Ryder13

2. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Most spray bottle scents will never last more than a few hours because the scent tends to escape. Therefore a long term product I would recommend are candles. They are affordable and will last a lot longer if used a few hours a day.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I burn incense, or dip a kitchen towel in a small bowl of water into which I add a few drops of vanilla/rose essence which I squeeze out to remove excess water and swirl around the house.
    I also like lemon grass, patchouli or vetiver essential oils to freshen up our home.
    Neither the natural ones nor the aerosol can freshener last for more than a few hours.

#23Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like using air fresheners to cover up the smell of something. I would rather just clean the place from top to bottom and open the windows to let it all air out. I quit smoking for a few years, and really had to clean my place out as I started to notice the lingering smell of it more. But once I did that, I would warm up some wax melts to scent the place depending on whatever mood I was in. I preferred the wax melts a bit more since it seemed you could get more use out of them vs. burning scented candles. It's much cheaper to plug in an electric warmer or just burn tea candles beneath one.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, how does the moist towel work to freshen up your home? I don't like aerosol sprays; aside from the environmental concerns they seem to interfere with breathing comfortably. Some of them are so heavy too, the scent is almost overwhelming.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    This is what my mom used to do.. She said that the towel helps absorb the bad odors.. I don't really know if it does, but it does help spread the smell of essential oil or essence around the room. She would usually use a towel dipped in vinegar first and then use the essence.. but I don't like the smell of vinegar around the house.

7. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I recently tried Glade Expressions Oil Diffuser and it worked really well. I subscribe to BzzAgent and they sent me coupons for a free one. The fragrance is really strong and it last for a long time.