Do Bonus Points Offers On Loyalty Cards Tempt You To Buy?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Jul 28, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I do get the emails saying double or triple points it does tempt me to stock up or spend because it can be worth it. Recently I bough a washing machine with triple points (Tesco) and that was a good buy. Superdrug currently have triple points for the next few days, so that is a good time to buy some specials and stock up too.

It can be worth it if you can use it with other promotions and discounts.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. I have a Walmart mastercard and I get 3% off everything at Walmart.com when I check out with that card. Then I go there through the MyPoints portal, I get another 5.4% off my order. That's some substantial savings. It keeps me ordering from Walmart, every time I have a $50 order, so that I get free shipping. I have a similar setup for Amazon. Most of my shopping is online, except for groceries and stuff like that.

3. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I tend to look for the triple points when going shopping, but generally I go to stores where I can get cash back on my purchases. My medical aid has a rewards program where I get up to 25% when buying healthy food from various stores, gym at certain gyms or buy medicine at certain pharmacies. I need to buy the items anyway and if they are 10% more expensive, but I get 25% cash back I always go to the store where I get the cash back

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't go overboard when shopping because of earning loyalty points. I do, however, like the idea of obtaining loyalty points when I go shopping. I was in a supermarket and I wanted to purchase an item after I had finished selecting what I had originally planned to purchase and the money I had couldn't cover the added item. I asked the cashier to check the points on my loyalty card and was surprised at the amount I had on the card. I was able to add a few more extra items.

5. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    This is one of the big reasons I like the loyalty cards as well. We have had a tough month this month and we were struggling to get money together for groceries. We then took out all our loyalty cards and checked their balances. We were able to purchase everything we needed by just using our points. We even have some points left :)

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to make sure I get the most out of whatever deals are available on loyalty cards. If I'm able to get additional points or money off for using a loyalty card then I'll definitely do that. I won't buy something just because there's a deal on it though unless I actually need it. I don't like to take something someone else could use, just because it's on a good deal.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is really one of those things where you know what the company is doing, but you just have to take the stance that you need the product in the first place. If that is not the case, then you should probably second guess signing up for anything just because of rewards or bonuses. I would also make sure that you benefit from them too, because I have often intended to get a lot of rewards and then just seem to forget. Thanks for sharing.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I normally am not looking for discounts on stuff. I just don't view it as that important. However, though, I might make an exception with hosting, gym memberships, or domain renewals, as those things eat me up every month. However, though, getting discount food would also do the same thing; I guess the point being is that a discount something is a gigantic help in getting by.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I also bought a washing machine at Tesco and got nearly £20 off through using the points I had made on my card by regular shopping. I didn't even realise I had built so much up until I ordered it online and it came up with this nice surprise. The Nectar card for Sainsburys is also a good one to have as you can earn points from buying on Ebay as well as shopping in store.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this at the drug store I use and they had a sale on Dove products. They had them on sale plus you earned extra points on their loyalty card. I also had coupons on the Saving Star app. After buying them once, I had enough points to buy them again and use the coupons which made the items free. It was the best deal I had ever gotten and it was on things that I would normally buy anyway so it was a huge win for me.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am not really tempted to buy because of the bonus points, but sometimes I forget that those sites exist when I am buying, and I don't save or earn them when I could. Sometimes it's significant values, especially when we are booking holidays for example.

12. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I get tempted sometimes. If you combine with store discounts, it offers some great savings. I once bought an entire set of toiletries for a great price and I still earned double bonus points on my loyalty card. It is a strategy used to keep customers coming back for more. You just have to be very careful about how you spend it.

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not tempted to buy more than what we need on a regular basis. I only have two loyalty cards and these are from stores where I regularly make the bulk of our monthly grocery expenditures. My purchases are usually distributed among four stores and the two other stores offer some savings for specific items that would have cost a lot more when bought at the stores with loyalty cards. Loyalty points are good but it is so much better if you can save instantly based on the price tag.

14. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yup. The offer surely tempts me to buy and stock more. Plus I don't want to waste it. I always look out for offers like these and buy some useful products during that time. It saves us money. :)

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not unless I really need the thing. If I buy something which is not required for a specific purpose is a waste of money if I get it for half its price. I can use that money for something more useful and save ultimately.

16. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't get tempted to buy things in order to earn reward points. My points grow slowly, but I don't buy just for earning rewards. I don't even buy on sale items, if I don't need them. There is no use to stock items which you may not use, just to get it at cheap rates or earn reward points.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    For me, depends on my motivations. for example: if the points will allow me to buy something very good, I strive to achieve them because I know it will be worth it (but it has to be something really good :rolleyes:).

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Over here the points that you are able to accumulate are very small, especially for supermarket items, and unless you often make very big purchases and you buy appliances, the points that you will get are very measly, and it's not worth much. So in my case, no, I don't get tempted to shop to increase my points.