Do brands really matter?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AliDee • Apr 22, 2012.

1. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I mean, if you look great in a cheap shirt or a plain shirt does it really matter if you're wearing branded clothing? Society these days has become a lot about looks and status, thus this topic. Personally, I would much rather no name clothing that I look great in than some branded stuff that makes me look average.

Discuss.

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I mean, I don't care about brands. If it looks good, wear it!
    Usually brandnames are just more expensive for a little bit better quality, or an extra little design...
    I only buy brandnames clothes when they are on sale.

3. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Heck, no. Not to me! I remember when brands were a big status symbol in high school, but I never bought into that then, either. Pardon the pun!

I'm a thrift store junkie. I absolutely love going thrift store crawling with 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I come back with so many clothes! I once paid 50 cents for a 47 dollar shirt for my husband. It still had the tags on it.

4. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Yes and no. Jeans is a definite yes. I can tell a cheap brand from a "good" brand. The quality, the stitching, the fit..everything. I could care less with tanks and tees though. I love thrift stores and I can tell which jeans are name brand just by the legs.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm buying. If it's food or something I'm going to use on my body (toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc.), then it definitely matters. I just wouldn't feel 'safe' buying some product nobody has heard of.

Now if it's clothing, I don't give a crap about the brand as long as it has good quality and looks good to me. Most of my friends seem to only like buying original branded clothing thinking knockoffs or unbranded clothes are crap... they've already been brainwashed :p

6. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    It's relative to what you are buying. Most of the time, the answer is no for me. A $10 shirt at ROSS is just the same as the $45 dollar shirt at Express because that's where that clothes came from anyway. Given, there are certain articles of clothing, home supplies, food products etc where quality is clearly visible just due to the "brand name" but for the majority of things I think it's not that big a difference.

7. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care about what brand my clothes are. If they look good and fit right, that is what is important to me. I really do not like as many big names anyway, their styles are not always that great for the price. If I buy a big name brand, it is because it was on sale for real cheap.

8. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I don't really care what brand I'm wearing because I believe it's how you carry those items. Some would wear branded stuff yet would still look ordinary. But I supposed those signature items and other designer materials have reasons why they are so expensive. From the design, the materials used and the labor given to each of those items; I think that they are reasonable why some of their prices are ridiculously high. But it doesn't really matter what and who you wear, it's how you wear them.

9. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I don't care to buy non-name brands in clothing for myself. However, I tend to stick for name brand for my children. Part of the reason is because I know that kids can be mean at times. The other part is because they are made better. I can buy my boys a pair of Old Navy jeans and they will outlast the Wal-Mart jeans. Children tend to be rough on their clothes and need them made better. As adults we can wear the same pair of jeans for a long time without wearing them out too much because we know how to take care of our clothing better.

10. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I feel that brand names do offer brand quality but I do not pay a crap load more for clothes just because of that. I always buy name brand when they are on sale. Otherwise I find these clothes to be too expensive and cannot see myself buying them. Even if a shirt is really cute, great brand and good quality, I will not buy it if it is too expensive. I know that even though I love the shirt, in 6 months I will probably not so I need the clothes to be more affordable.

11. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I think people choose brand name clothes for assorted reasons. I personally agree with your ideas for myself. I am also a frugal person so spending a lot on brand name clothes I pay a higher price than I am willing to spend.

12. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    There are some brands where I just like their logo enough to want to wear it. I wear a lot of FOX brand shirts just because I like the design and look of the shirts. They make me feel a lot better about how I look. Many products see a huge increase in price because of the brand though. You can get the same quality headphones as Beats for half the price but just because Dr. Dre's name is on them they are worth 2x the price. Brands only matter if you personally like the way it looks and you have to see it all the time, like T-shirts. I don't think you see headphones on top of your head so there is no reason to waste money on headphones like Beats.

13. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    I believe that branded clothes have better quality compared to the cheap ones. While some people think that it is acceptable for them to buy branded clothes when it comes to quality, some also believe that there are still cheap clothes of great quality. I understand both sides. But my advice is that people should be practical especially if they don't earn a fortune. If they want to purchase branded clothing, raid those stores which are on sale.

It 's how you carry it that matters, anyway. It does not matter how much your clothes are, what matters is that you are confident enough to make the clothing look perfect on you.

14. Stitches

StitchesNew Member

Threads:
    Maybe its a placebo effect, but I think branded clothes feel better and are more durable. I feel like the cheap shirts will become invalid after one wash were they will shrink up and not fit anymore, whereas branded clothes have more effort put into them. Plus, branded clothes usually look better with the logo, design or art they come with, and sometimes a bland shirt just is... well bland. Mix and match. Not everything has to be a brand.

15. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When I shop for branded clothes, I look for them in the secondhand clothes shops.

If I were to buy new branded clothes, I am not confident that I won't be getting a counterfeit product. At the secondhand shops, the chances of getting a counterfeit product is very low. And there are many great bargains to be found, if you are patient. I remember buying a pair of original Levi for just 1.50usd. It was a worn-out pair but then again that's how a pair of Levi's should look like. Right?

16. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I hate most brands as many are connected to child slave labor. When you look closer as to where and how these 'brand' clothes are made, it is revolting. So, I do not support the industry. I simply buy what looks good is made locally and I have clothing made for me by a tailor or buy it at a local fashion store in order to support local designers.

But brands are a big no-no for me.

17. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    It does matter sometimes. You want to look like nice and somewhat in style so a certain brand or name can make the difference. Some brands are made a little better (jeans & shirts, outerwear , shoes, sneakers).
    Then again it's stupid to wear to nothing but brand names. You can mix and match an outfit and still look good and not worry about spending outrageous prices for similar stuff.

18. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Name brands mean nothing to me now. When I was in high school, it was a big deal if you wore clothes that did not have a name brand attached to it. Immediately you were made fun by all the other kids. Now we buy most of our clothing at Walmart and Kmart. Clearance racks are the best place, especially for me. We have six children to clothe.

If we have name brand clothing for the children or ourselves, it is because we found them at the goodwill or thrift stores.

The most important thing in my opinion is that the clothes fit correctly and look nice.

19. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Not at all. I really can't think of anything that I buy on a day to day basis that does not have a generic version of it.
    Its the exact same product in a different wrapping. Sometimes with different foods there are some taste issues.
    Vanilla waffers, for example, taste more like ginger snaps in the generic brand than they do in the known brands. Also the same thing goes for
    certain other foods.

20. Kim.Caron

Kim.CaronNew Member

Threads:
    That makes me think of the saying: "You get what you paid for". Sometimes when making a purchase a cheap knock-off or generic brand doesn't hold up as well. You may wear it once and it falls apart; therefore, it was a waste of money. It may be worth your time and money to buy the brand name. Just saying...