Do brands really matter?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AliDee • Apr 22, 2012.

1. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if you look good and you feel good than seriously, who cares what brand you're wearing!!! People are way too into labels!

2. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    If it's just a plain colored T-Shirt, it doesn't matter where it's from to me. In middle school, I wanted to have all the brand name clothes. In high school, I didn't care as much. Now that I'm in college, I'm starting to care a little more. I think I care more about shoes than clothes though. I could never buy a knock off pair of converse, nikes, etc. I think it looks really cheap.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy almost all of my clothing in the street markets here in Spain. I have a lovely long dress that is smart enough for going out in the evenings, and it always pulls in the compliments. It cost me 3 Euro (about $5, or £2.70) and it's really well made. Okay, it may not last as long as a designer dress, but who cares? Ladies don't like to be seen out in the same dress too often, and when I'm fed up with it, I'll pass it to my friend to make a dress for her young granddaughter.

4. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the clothes I wear are things I like and make me feel good. I have seen though that some brands offer very high quality clothes, that I can't afford. However, I can find good clothes in cheap stores without having to pay a fortune. So, I guess the truth is somewhere between the two. however, if you feel good and are a happy person, people will like you no matter what.

5. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    When we lived in Rota we would find gorgeous clothes in Puerto for so super cheap!

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a young man, I used to work in a big city. That was when I had to buy branded clothes. Mainly because the city folks judge a person by the brand he wears. You won't get to second base with them if you are dressed in some no-name brand.

7. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I was such a slave to branded apparels but I made sure they look good on me, before I bought them. The circle of friends I hung out wit back then, played a huge part on the brands of clothes that I bought. I was 14 years old at that time and my obsession with branded clothes lasted several years.

These days, I do not buy branded clothes, not as much as I used to. Branded items are expensive here in Cape Town. Where I originally come from, it's a lot cheaper and we have more options (in terms of brands). I think the price tag does not make a person look better. There are wealthy people that buy ridiculously expensive clothes, and yet, they don't look good with the clothes on them. I have learned that if you could make a $20 shirt look like it costs $100+, then you're better of not buying any branded clothes again.

8. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    I never cared about T-shirt brands because I felt they were the same as what I bought at the no-frills shop. Some say they last longer but it's often subjective because it depends on what we do during our daily activities that causes all the wear and tear. So far, I have not come across a shirt that has wowed me though the designs of branded shirts are often more flashy. So I would say it depends on your style and personal preferences.

Shoes on the other hand are best to be bought branded. I'm talking about sports shoes here - New Balance and Adidas have churned out relatively decent shoes, but sometimes the prices of their shoes rocket off the chart like nobody's business. Same goes for Nike, so what I usually do is to buy a not-so-pricey shoe which will usually last me for a while. What's not to go for are Nike's expensive so-called technology-advanced shoes which I find to be disgusting overpriced. Would say they are only for athletes.

9. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting question because I was having this discussion with my girlfriend.I think that in certain situations the brand does matter, at least to some extent.On a regular daily basis I wear ripped up jeans and t-shirts,but there's that one special section of my closet that houses brand clothes.Finally I think the brand is not essential, but unfortunately we live in a society that lives on appearances.

10. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    In high school, I had to have everything name brand. Now that I'm older, I can see that brands don't matter. I buy my clothes from anywhere. If a shirt is cute and a decent price, I will buy it. The only thing people are paying for is the brand itself...not the actually clothes.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Brands mean nothing to me. I buy clothes as long as they're comfortable, well-made and durable, regardless of brand. I usually find what I need in street bazaars or in some festivals here.

And besides, there are so many "fakes" from where I'm from. Sometimes you wouldn't even be sure if what the person in front of you is wearing is fake or not.

12. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    One think I've learned over the years is that it's better to buy quality. I don't buy any particular brand simply for the name, but I will buy for quality, so there are definitely brands I'm loyal to. Cheap stuff doesn't save you any money because you have to replace it quicker.

13. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    Depends, If its big ticket items like TVs players etc. I usually go for brands . For clothes definitely not. As long as the clothes are quality textile and comfortable i would buy it regardless of the brand.

14. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Haha - same here, I was obsessed brand names when I was in high school. I think it had to do with the set of friends that I had. Moreover, I was using my parents' money to buy them :D. As I grew older and started earning my own paycheck, it dawned on me that some of the clothes were not worth buying! I agree that it's actually the brand that we are paying for (although some would include the quality). Then again, you can find plenty of affordable/cheap clothes made from good quality materials.

15. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I could care less about it being a brand. I care about quality and what it looks like. It's just that brand names tend to have a style that I feel looks better, and almost always seem to be better quality. Only logic really- you pay more for better quality.

16. Marco

MarcoNew Member

Threads:
    I dont really care about brands. If I find something good and comfortable or suits the need of the item, then I am happy with it. Branding is just not for me.
    Although with branding you get a guarantee for good products. I sometimes do prefer branding, but most of the times, no thanks.

17. mecallatress

mecallatressNew Member

Threads:
    I have never really cared about name brands! If it was cute then it was cute, if not then it is not! A name on a piece of clothing means nothing to me. I never had to have name brand clothes.

18. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    Nothing wrong with brands names in terms of quality, but wearing a designer just to say that you can "afford" it isn't my style. I've seen some pretty tacky looking people wearing designer clothes with a name all over the place. I would buy Nike sneakers because they were a higher quality than a Kmart type sneaker, but not to brag or impress anyone.

19. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I only buy brands if they are on sale. I almost always buy off brands and have not had any issues with the quality or taste with food. I usually buy clothes at a second hand shop so I get a mix of brands and off brands. If my kids are wearing name brand anything its because it was donated at a shop. lol

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Only with certain items do brands matter to me. For example, I only wear jeans from Levi's because cheap jeans are always cut wrong and don't fit me properly. On any given day, you'll catch me wearing a five dollar shirt with ten dollar shoes and sevent dollar jeans.