Do brands really matter?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AliDee • Apr 22, 2012.

1. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. I usually have branded jeans. I don't know. It just makes me feel good to wear Levi's jeans but to other cloths like shirts. I do not prefer branded ones. I would pick whatever that looks good on me. I just usually like plain tees that fits on me perfectly.

2. imokaye

imokayeMember

Threads:
    For me, it doesn't. What matters is the fitting and quality of the clothing. If it looks good on me, then I'd go for it. I'm not the kind of person who is after the status. I don't really care.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    With some items it can make a big difference. Example. I have a pair of Doc Martin boots I bought in 1991. These babies have seen pits at Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica a few times, Primus and god know now many other shows. They are still in great shape and I still wear them.

I have bought two pairs of Birkenstock's over that time period. Two. My current pair although a little hard looking I still wear them.

How many pair of cheap shoes/boots do you think the average person has been through that time period? Some things are worth investing in.

4. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    Indeed that's very true.I have bought some clothes that weren't brands at all. And they fit me better than any brand clothes !:)

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I completely agree. Brands don't matter to me, but it's pertinent to note that if a brand name shirt, such as Ralph Lauren, costs $2 more than a no-name shirt then I'll buy that brand shirt because chances are the quality is better and will last longer. Overall, though, I'll choose the cheaper item than something that costs $100, which will most likely rip, fade or get yellow around the collar.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Well it all depends, if you buy a regular shirt for example, make sure your material is really good and you will come out on top of the game. I never look for a name brand and can't say that I have but maybe a few pieces I guess. I love to leave the name brands behind because we are paying for there name only and then we are advertising for them and they are not giving us no royalty check for the ad. We are giving them money to advertise and make there wallets fat, so to speak. Other words we are paying them for us to advertise for them and I think this thing should be the other way around don't you? I look for really good clothes and I am not going to wear them more than maybe two to four times if that. Why should I waste my money for that?

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Brands don't necessarily matter to me, but most brands are made and cut better. For me, cheap clothes just don't fit as well as more expensive brands. As a compromise, I do shop outlet malls whenever possible and the fashion district downtown.

8. theaaa

theaaaNew Member

Threads:
    I think some brands do have better quality clothing. When I buy jeans, I usually go for the brands I've tried and liked because their jeans really last. But for trendy tops and dresses, I think even those that aren't branded will do. What matters is you look great. Besides, you probably wouldn't wear tops anymore once the fad has passed.
    As for plain shirts, some brands do have better fitting cuts, but it all depends on your body type. If you're not very particular with the cuts or fabric, I guess it's better to just buy the cheaper ones.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think branding matters at all, unless you want to keep up with the latest technology and copy all of your friends because they wear or buy whatever. All you're paying for these days is the packaging, well, 90% of the price is the package. All products end up in the bin anyway so why waste money on ridiculous prices when you can buy something similar, much cheaper and lasts just as long, even longer with some items. Expensive jeans always get ruined or ripped when I get them, I've got an old pair lof jeans that's outlasted them all and cost next to nothing.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Brands don't matter to me and I don't want to pay for there name. I would rather buy a good item of clothing and have it last longer than to say I bought a brand name. Some brand names are no better than the regular clothing without the brand, so why not just go buy the best fabric at the cheaper price. Forget about who made it, or so you think.

11. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    Branded clothes are made with better quality, that is why a lot of people love them. However if I'd find something that's good quality and affordable at the same time, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. But generally, one item I'd splurge on anytime is a lovely pair of shoes.

12. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    Nah. Some brand names are really about quality and it would be good to invest in some genuine quality stuff. Like for a woman, a couple of great handbags. But as for other times, not at all. Clothes are just something you put on to keep yourself decent and safe.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The handbag doesn't matter to me because you are advertising someone else name and paying to advertise it. So if you want to advertise someones name, why don't you advertise your own name and not pay that high price to advertise someone else. I am sure you can get your own name tag and advertise your own name for less. How about that? Do that sound like a winner?

14. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    Brand names don't really matter to me. As long as I'm comfortable with what I wear, the fit flatters my body type I'm okay with it. I rarely buy branded clothes because I know I can get my money's worth with less expensive items. I'd rather use my money on more useful stuff like things that we need at home or food.

15. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    Branded clothing mean nothing to me.. One can look so fabulous and elegant with just a simple dress.. It depends on how you carry it.

16. PauloSwentas

PauloSwentasNew Member

Threads:
    I think not. Brand in my eyes is the easiest way to rip off a few dollars, Sure they offer good quality but you can get the same or slightly less quality for alot cheaper. Not to mention it's not like I'm constantly allowing people to look at my shirt tag to verify my brand, I've seen some knock-offs so good it's hard to believe it's a knock off.

17. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Brands do matter to me. The only reason they really matter, though, is because I know that most name brands are quality made. They are most often better than the things that are not brand name.

18. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Brands does not matter to me because I am cheap. Yes, I admit it. As long as it fits well, I will wear it. Recently, I have been shopping more online than in stores. The cost is cheaper for me especially when I Google coupons for whichever website I am shopping from. Some websites I frequent are Forever 21, Macys, Sears, 10dollarmall.com, Drjays.com, 599fashions.com and etc. For cosmetic jewelry I frequent fashionbella.com and forever21.com

19. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I think you can look just as good or better on Walmart brand clothing as you can on upscale brand names. It is only a brand. You can also buy the same quality without paying the high brand label prices. I also think you can get brand name labels at great discounts like at Marshall's or TJ Max. Well they use to have over stock brand labels. Have not been in there lately but I am sure they still have it.

20. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    There are a few brands i "trust", I usually like the stuff at zara, but i usually avoid brands and logos and go for what looks good. I don't buy clothes that have a large logo on them, it's a personal pet peeve of mine. Logos usually look intensely tacky, and the way I see it you're advertising for a company without any incentive for yourself.

The only exceptions for me are a small logo on a very nice polo shirt, or something subtle and inconspicuous on a quality product (e.g. the watchmaker's name on a watch, or something like the "H" patterns on solid color Hermès ties).