Do brands really matter?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AliDee • Apr 22, 2012.

1. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    In a lot of cases for me depending on what it is , I would have to agree brand matters. Quality is very important to me!

2. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You're right AliDee, it really doesn't matter whether it's cheap or a brand. Tell me, are those people going to pull down your clothes and look at what's has been sewed on the inside. You can tell them whomever's name you want and they will not know any better and they will try to go find one just like what you are wearing and make a fool out of them.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in the workplace and needed clothing which could stand the test of time, look good and was easier to care for, I would chiose a brand name that I was familiar with and which had served me well in the past. I never liked no name brands, they were usually cheaper, not as well constructed and did not wear well. Once you find a brand that you trust, one usually sticks with the brand because you know it well. There is a difference in brands of clothing.

4. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I have a similar opinion on Brands. I think what counts, is to know what looks good on us.
    Even if I wear very top rated branded clothes, if I am not able to carry it well , it's of no use.Therefore, I must know how to mix and match accessories and clothing so that I look cool & presentable always.

5. hawker

hawkerNew Member

Threads:
    It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it. Some people do need the security of brands such as Zara or Marks & Spencer to know that they're buying quality.

Ultimately, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter - so long as it's got a good cut, comes in decent fabric (100% cotton is a failsafe for me), and it suits AND fits you well. Fashions come and go but style is timeless.

6. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    It if it looks good, why not?

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a shirt from an unknown store if it looks an feels great. Unfortunately, not many other people share this sentiment. Brands are becoming the "in" thing nowadays. In fact, sometimes I know friends who will just buy clothes for the fact that it is expensive and from their favourite stores. In all honestly, sometimes the clothes look like absolute crap.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you're buying. I think it's best to buy whatever you like, whatever feels comfortable, whether it's a brand name or not. Shoes and purses are two examples of items that can be better to buy a name brand. I've bought cheaper shoes before because they were cute. But I found out they were not very comfortable if you were on your feet for more than 5 minutes or so. I also find purses that are brand name tend to hold up longer than the cheaper versions. This makes them last longer and in the end they are worth the purchase to me. When I do buy brand names, I always buy them on sale too.

I will buy cheap clothing as long as it feels good for everything else. I think everyone does. Magazines occasionally show celebrities wearing a mixture of clothes. They have articles on they have high end purses and jeans but then the shirt will be from Target or somewhere like that. They just show way more of the expensive items.

As for society today, I do think they put too much emphasis on looks and having brand names. They have found it's good for business though. The media has become great at creating an image. Those images resonate with people and they want the image portrayed, not necessarily the clothes.

8. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and No! I think it depends on your size, where you are going, and the quality of the manufacturer.

The bigger you are, the harder it is to look smashing in cheap-quality clothing. Bigger people usually need thicker materials and lining to camouflage their trouble areas. Have you ever seen a chunky girl with a ton of cellulite in thin white pants??? Not the best look.

Most brands offer better quality, better designs, and better fitting. If you're going somewhere special, need to make an "entrance", and so on, it is better to go with brand names or at the very least mix brand items with non-brand items. Let's face it, Target clothing doesn't fit every scene. It is what it is.

Some exceptions are: some high-cost clothing actually have low-quality fabric and design. You can see that a lot with basic items like T-shits. You can usually find a similar t-shirt for a lower cost somewhere else. I've never understood paying $100 for a plain white t-shirt. Also, some new and up-coming labels offer high-quality products at an inexpensive price. These are usually really good deals.

#68Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. Yuvastyleindia

YuvastyleindiaMember

Threads:
    I don't think that only branded goods are durable. I have seen lots of people who are purchasing goods seeing the quality of the product not the brand. Whenever I found something better at online store, no matter for whether it is branded or not. I am reading the guarantee or warranty of the products carefully.

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The brand does matter to me. The brand can be an indication of quality. I prefer to buy high-end obscure brands which are not 'mainstream'. The construction quality is higher, the materials are superior and it is not made in China.

11. Nickdiamano

NickdiamanoNew Member

Threads:
    Good idea I think what counts, is to know what looks good on us.

#71Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that brand matters in only certain cases. For example for plain clothing I would never pay that a brand would charge. I would only buy brand cosmetics or handbags because these are certain things that every woman or man would want to have quality and brand is the only way to go.