Do children NEED vitamins and supplements?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by kerri • May 14, 2013.

1. Ridhithomas

RidhithomasBanned

Threads:
    That's great.

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    The fact that so many kids are picky eaters it would probably be a good idea to give a vitamin to make sure they're getting the correct amount of nutrients. Especially before the age of five, the nutrients kids get during this time can effect their development for the rest of their lives so it's so important to make sure they are getting all the vitamins/nutrients they need.

3. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I think in some cases (like you mentioned) If children aren't getting their full amount of daily vitamins from the food they eat, then yes. Or if they are naturally deficient in a vitamin or mineral then it's important to spot that and use supplements to boost their levels. It's the responsibility of the parents to provide them with an adequate amount of nutritional content in their daily meals by getting inventive in how to get them to eat the yucky (healthy) stuff, and not just feed them on junk.

4. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    The experts are right, children don't really need vitamins, all you need to give them first and foremost is breast milk for as long as possible and when you wean them you should put them on a healthy balanced diet. That's all.

5. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    Multivitamins aren't necessary for most healthy children who are growing normally. Foods are the best source of nutrients. Regular meals and snacks can provide all the nutrients most children need. While many young children are picky eaters, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have nutritional deficiencies. Many common foods — including breakfast cereal, milk and orange juice — are fortified with important nutrients, such as B vitamins, vitamin D, calcium and iron.

6. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    It is always wise to give your kids vitamins and supplements because you never know if they are getting enough of what their body need. When a kid is growing their body requires more substance in order for them to be able to grow healthy because the steps of the growth of a kid is quite sensitive. Kids grow very quickly that is why they need enough sleep and vitamins and supplements.

7. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I believe children need vitamin supplements but not all children. For the kids who are well-nourished I don’t see any point for them taking lots of vitamin supplements. However for children who are not well fed on the recommended vitamin and minerals there is the need for them to take such supplements. I think the fact that many families nowadays are financially unstable providing nutritious meals or purchasing vitamin supplements for their children is a bit difficult that’s the reason why is say that those particular kids are the only ones who may need such supplements.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most vitamins for kids are high in sugars and full of artificial colours and flavours. Not to mention they aren't from whole foods and only contain parts of each vitamin, thus making them pretty much useless. They need to be whole to do their jobs. Not just the kids vitamins either. Your best best is eating right.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course children need vitamins and minerals, every human being needs vitamins and minerals to function. The question is how do you obtain the essential minerals and vitamins your body needs to function optimally? Ideally you will obtain the majority via whole natural food and you can then fill in any gaps with supplements.

10. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    Even if we and our children try to eat healthy, a lot of the food nowadays does not have the nutritional value that it used to have because the soil is depleted in many parts of the world. I give my son a multivitamin every day, because at 2 years old, I know he doesn't get all that he needs from his food. Plus he was breastfed and never really made the transition to liking cow's milk. He does like cheese and yogurt, though so I know he gets some calcium, but I want to make sure he gets enough for proper bone development.

11. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    Multivitamins aren't necessary for most healthy children who are growing normally. Foods are the best source of nutrients. Regular meals and snacks can provide all the nutrients most preschoolers need.

While many young children are picky eaters, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have nutritional deficiencies. Many common foods - including breakfast cereal, milk and orange juice - are fortified with important nutrients, such as B vitamins, vitamin D, calcium and iron. So your child may be getting more vitamins and minerals than you think.
    Also, multivitamins aren't without some risks. Big doses of vitamins and minerals can be toxic. In addition, some vitamins and minerals can interact with medications your child may take.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

Look into the source of those "nutrients" in cereals though. Tree bark? Metal shavings etc? okie doke..

13. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I think it depends, somewhat, on the kid. I have two kids that are very picky eaters and I know they are not getting all the nutrients they need via food. I give my children a multivitamin, calcium(they do not drink milk), fish oil(which helps with eczema) and my son takes a probiotic(he has tummy issues).

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think especially since most kids are picky with food it's important to give a supplement to make sure they are getting the proper nutrition especially since they're still growing.

15. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Kids or anyone for that matter don't need ANY supplements. That's why they are called supplements. The majority of vitamins and minerals should come from a healthy diet. If supplements are needed, it's because there isn't enough of that vitamin, ingredient or whatever in their diets already or it's recommended by their doctors. I would not take vitamins just because I was told I need to by media or TV. And not all vitamins are created equal. Some of them make your urine yellow. While that isn't dangerous, it just means that you are peeing out the vitamins you've consumed, or at least most of it. When I take natural vitamins I don't have that problem at all. So don't go for vitamins that are not extracted from foods.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In most cases, all you're doing is feeding them extra sugars. Vitamins from a bottle aren't whole..

17. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Children are the first that need to take vitamins. That's why they make all sorts of vitamin supplements, specifically for them. Do they NEED them? Why not? Everyone should take a multi vitamin every single day.