Do Credit Cards Help You Save On Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by ExpertAdvice • Jul 16, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    "A credit card helping me save"...

A few days ago, when I entertained that thought in my head, it sounded like the most extraterrestrial concept that had ever graced my mind. I have been grown and taught to think that if you've got a credit card, the best possible move you can make in relation to that card...is to get the scissors and cut it to pieces!

I've only heard the side of credit cards that speaks about high interest rates on payments, giving you a false sense of monetary acquisition, and running yourself into endless piles of debt!

But, as I gain more and more knowledge in this area, I've come to realize that there really are saving benefits when it comes to owning and using a credit card wisely.

It all started with a friend of mine who, after having "racked up" travel points on his credit card that offered these, paid absolutely nothing to go to his destination abroad!

Then, of course, I had to do some research of my own! I couldn't believe my eyes/ears!

According to business.time.com, the signup bonuses on airline/travel credit cards can cause you to accumulate several thousands of travel miles each year without even spending/having to travel more than you normally would.

I'm more/less convinced now, but I'd still love your feedback!

Do you think that airline/travel credit cards are a great way to save on travel?

7113235069_1da77afa9b_b.

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like a scam to me, to be honest. I've never been given such offers by airline companies before, so I can't truly recall having "saved" anything. I'm sure that if this exists, most people usually end up not gaining anything because there would be so many applicable conditions ... and bureaucracy as a result.

Though thanks for sharing!

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks also for your response! I definitely appreciate your perspective. I think that there seems to be more of a mixed reaction to these "so-called deals" that are offered by the major and other credit card companies, but as I said earlier, I have, in the past, leaned on my instinct that says that the conditions, expenses and overall interest rate charges for non-payment or late payment, might run me up more than I had planned to spend in the first place, so it really does cause me to ask myself the question, "Is it worth it?" at the end of the day.
    But, have you ever heard of anyone making use of the travel points though? I can see where that could really help someone save, especially someone who tends to travel a lot; and there's also the fact that most credit card companies only charge you interest if it is that you fail to pay on time, so I'm guessing that if you were able to manage your spending in a way that you always pay on time, you'd be "getting out of" paying that unwanted and unnecessary interest.
    I think that whereas there are risks, it can really help us save if we use it wisely/in the intended/right way.

Thanks again for your input!

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always use my credit card when I travel. Where before I was bringing lots of US dollars, now I only bring a small amount to cover emergency expense for the trip and I just withdraw money from my credit card in local currency. At least the exchange rate is good. And with spending, I also use credit card to pay big amounts like expensive souvenir items or even jewelries.