Do Different Brands Stick To Same Size Parameters?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by luckycharm • Feb 8, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    While I was shopping in a textile showroom here I found that different brands of the same size varies in their actual size. For example two branded shirts of 42 inch will be different in their actual size. I wonder how it happens as size should be the same anywhere in the world as it is a universal parameter. So I always use their trial room before finally buying clothes. I also avoid online purchase because of this fear. There is no consistency in sizing among different brands .

Have you ever experienced this when you buy clothes online / offline?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is so common and not only in textiles but shoes too. Most companies and countries have their own size parameters according to the average sizes of their representative demographics.

You can't rely on one size while shopping widely. Luckily, most online stores gives a specific suze chart and calculators attached for each company that is represented. Even then sometimes it is trial and error.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Well if they are labelled by inches then that should be the exact size of the shirt from armpit to armpit, anything else is an error. That's a pretty unambiguous way to label sizes.

When is comes to things like small, medium, or large, it doesn't have any set meaning anymore. I can generally get the right size for familiar brands but across brands I range from small to extra large. It depends on what population they cater to and whether they are doing vanity sizing (labeling larger clothes as smaller sizes) or are a juniors range.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one of the most frustrating things about shopping, in my opinion, and I am not sure why but it never seems to ever get better or change, which you would think it would. I have lost quite a bit and wasted some good time and money on this little error.

5. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, different brands have different size parameters. That is why it is recommended to buy clothes after checking the sizes and not go by Small, medium, large sizes. I usually see the size details given there before buying the clothes. For shoes I prefer to buy offline rather than online, because sizes differ.

6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    For each and every brand, sizes vary. This is where I find it difficult to choose clothing online. There were couple of occasions where I even had to exchange as could not guess the size beforehand.
    Companies from various locations keep the measurement according to the features of the locals. Thus a slim fit for somewhere could be excel to others.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may not be about brands but more of places. My shirt size is medium hence when we go abroad, I never bother to try it for size since you don’t normally try out t-shirts. In Vietnam last year, I bought several t-shirts with cute designs. And when we arrived home, that’s the time I tried the t-shirts for size. It’s okay, fit but very fit, in fact, and I had difficulty wearing it because the big hole is not that loose. It’s good that I can still wear it although I am not comfortable. In our next trips abroad, I never fail to try the t-shirt for size.