Do Endorsers Affect You?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by gracer • Jan 31, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Some commercials have well known celebrities in them that makes the product even more appealing to people especially to their fans. Although the endorser should also have a good reputation to be able to promote a product well and attract potential customers to the brand they endorse.

I just remember watching TV one time with my kid and this new cookie commercial was shown on TV. He really disliked the endorser to the point of switching channels whenever he Sees her so when he saw that she was the one endorsing a cookie brand that he used to love eating, he told me to never buy the product ever again. I actually laughed because his attitude towards that celebrity just turned out that way because he has an innocent crush on the other celebrity who was being compared to the latest cookie endorser.

Does your patronage of a product also gets affected by who is endorsing it? What are your experiences on this? :)

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter to me which celebrities endorse products, I buy what I like. Although, it's fun to see Japanese celebrities like Perfume, Koda Kumi and L Arc En Ciel advertising Pepsi Next, that wouldn't influence me to buy Pepsi products if I didn't like them. Likewise, seeing a celebrity I dislike promoting a product won't make me stop buying it. My mind is my own.

3. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. I don't care about endorsers either. It doesn't matter to me. I research big-ticket items and don't really bother about the every day stuff, so as to go into that much detail. I don't care if a dictator were endorsing a product, I'd still buy it because I like the product.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In a way, yes, product endorsers influence my buying somehow. But it's not the ordinary influence. Let's say we are going to buy a new appliance, we make a research on the brands. And with that popular tv commercial by a celebrity, that would surely be included in the shortlist. But it doesn't mean that we would buy that particular product of the endorse. And sometimes the endorser is even negative like in some fastfood commercial that we do not patronize.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I would like to say that it doesn't affect me, it actually sort of does. I'm not looking in particular for specific celebrities as long as they posses the qualities I'm looking for in a brand.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It does affect me but not by much. I'd say it affects me more when the effect is negative like if I didn't like the person endorsing it or if I knew or felt they were the wrong people to endorse the product but that rarely happens as I usually just base my decision on how good the product is. I'm more swayed by non paid endorsements like if I see a celebrity I like using a certain product then my opinion of that product might sway a little but that's about it.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that endorsers effect me. But then the other day I was watching a Conor Mcgregor interview, where he mentioned an Irish television show that he was enjoying. I went ahead and downloaded all of the seasons of the show, and really enjoyed it. Had the endorsement come from a public persona that I gave no fucks about, I would not have downloaded the show or given it a chance. So this suggests that I am affected to some degree. But it is harder to get me because I don't care about mainstream celebrities.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ads, endorsers, etc., they don't in any way influence me. Even though I might like a celebrity I wouldn't buy a product they endorse simply because I like them. Like most frugal people I'll only buy something I need and even then I'll look for the products that provide the best value [for my money].

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Makes no difference to me whatsoever - as no matter who a product may be endorsed by - it wouldn't ever influence my decision as to whether or not I liked a product.

For the simple reason - that commercials/advertisements of any kind are totally wasted on me - as regardless of what they may be touting - they very definitely don't influence my spending habits - as not only do I always only ever buy things that are actually needed - but as quality and value for money are always top priorities for me - I've always much preferred to do my own cost calculations and research on anything that I'm planning to buy - rather than buy on face value.

In fact if anything - celebrity endorsed products would be the least likely to sway me into parting with my money - as to be perfectly honest - if a product actually needs a celebrity to endorse it - in order to get it to sell - then its generally not worth buying.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    When it comes to adverts on websites, I think that they are some of the least effective ploys ever. They just do not work with me. When I go to a website, I am usually there to carry out one specific goal, and I usually treat it like my shopping outings - if I go shopping, I am usually going for very specific items, and I am not going to be looking at anything else or loitering. Same with ads on websites. I ignore them, and often do not even notice them.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Celebrities endorsing a product is the first sign it's not my kind of product lol..

12. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    But, yeah. If someone I knew recommended something, it would definitely influence my decision making. But, not some celebrity or even a blogger. Because I know any paid endorsements are just not true.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does influence me. BUT only in the sense that it puts me right off. Anything a celebrity endorses makes me look the other way. It's no secret, most of them are just in it for self promotion and to earn a few bob. It's not that they believe in these products and want to share what works for them,. I think it's the biggest con LOL

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately no. Unless we're talking about ad campaigns for a cause. I have to see who the endorser is and if he or she can be trusted. If we're talking about regular commercials you see in any channel, I hardly pay attention to the endorser. I buy what I want to buy regardless of how it's promoted on air.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmmfao!!! It is always so false, because of course they are going to tell you how amazing the products are. They are being PAID to do so. Like, hello masses lol. Most of the time they don't give a flying fuck about the products that they are pushing, and do not even use them. It is all about the money. I was taken with conor mcgregor's recommendation because it was a topic that came up by chance. They were not paying him to put it out there. It randomly came up in an interview, and I am always looking for new things to watch. Watched the show and was NOT disappointed.

16. hg088

hg088New Member

Threads:
    Mostly I don't really care about endorsers but If I see some hero of mine advertising a product Id probably check it out. For example if I say Linus Torvalds in a cookie ad Id probably end up buying the god damn cookies hehe. This would be a very unlikely scenario though.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly.. plus, if you have the kind of money that will get a royal supah stah holding your toilet paper for the camera, you have too much money.. you're going for world domination lol. I'd rather support the ones selling it straight off the tree.... lol ouch.
    Who is Conor McGregor and what am I missing?? I'm down to no shows again (until Game of Thrones is back on).. just finished Making a Murderer and we have some on hold we're not in the mood to start... What does good ol' Conor suggest?? lol

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    If only the whole world thought that way. But it seems as if the more dollars you have behind your name, the more support you are likely to get behind you, and the ones who are selling it straight off the tree go ignored :( Oh, Conor McGregor is the only man I would have sex with lol. He is an Irish Mixed Martial Artist, and has made history in the UFC numerous times, and will likely continue to. He also practices the law of attraction, and is able to do amazing things with it on a very public stage. Nobody has been able to do the things that he has. He even predicts what round he will finish opponents and how, and it comes true lol. I watched Making a Murderer. That was so depressing, but I don't think anyone who has watched it is shocked by the level of corruption. The show that Conor suggested was an Irish TV show called Love/Hate. I watched it, and now I cannot wait for season 6.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You mean like this?

Conor does sound like your kinda guy lol, that's so cool. I'll look it up.. since Conor says so ;)

eta: Just looked Conor up quickly... I could take him lol.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes!!! I mean, exactly like that!!! I have no idea why people would believe that. Have we ever seen any obvious evidence to the contrary of the OPPOSITE of the trickle down effect? Lol. I could take him too. Plus he is one of the funniest guys I have ever heard speak ever. Charisma for years. Wit for years. I wish all men were as charismatic as him.