Do Endorsers Affect You?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by gracer • Jan 31, 2016.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    oOOoOoh, Dreekster's got a crush! lol.. I think you'd like my husband too then. Not like that haha, but even if you did, I'd be too proud of him for catching your attention to mind lmao.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you married your husband, so you would say that he is witty and charismatic lol. You have to think that. Many of my friends think that their boyfriends are funny, or witty, or charismatic, and they are not lmao :p But just because it is you, and I hold you in high regard, I will take your word for it regarding your husband ;) I totally have a crush. Plus, he designed his girlfriend a custom Porsche for Christmas, which I thought was sweet, because he could have just thoughtlessly bought one.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, those thoughtless porsche buying boyfriends, don't know the first thing about love LOL. I know designing a porsche is supposed to be sweet in this instance, but I'm just slightly turned off by your boyfriend now haha, but you know I'm a hard ass about spendy people by now. And you're right.. I have to say that about Mr.Josie, but if it weren't true, he wouldn't have caught my attention.. most men bore me, so I'm also proud of him for catching MY attention lmao.

4. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    It actually depends, but the answer is not really. I don't care which football player is endorsing whichever pizza place, I'm going to get from the one I like the most. Same goes for things like weight products. I do take endorsements from musicians more seriously. If my favorite guitar player uses a certain kind of guitar string and publicly endorses it, I might get them over some other brand. With musician endorsements, you at least know they actually use and like the product.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    At first I was going to respond and say nope. But there was this guy who's video went viral because he tried patty labelle's sweet potato pie. Thanks to him, her pies have been selling like crazy. So eventually we went and bought the pie and really like it. The guy wasn't a famous celebrity, just an ordinary guy.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I thought the exact same thing as I was typing that lmao. He is a millionaire, and has worked very very hard to come from nothing to get the money and the spot that he has now. If he wants to buy Porsches and live that life, he has earned it. Just two years ago he was on social welfare, having to push start his vehicle, and to come from that and surpass everyone in such a short space of time. Amazing :) He is spendy because he comes from nothing, and I celebrate that with everything in me. It is a story that many people can relate to in the sense that many people who come from little wish they all could have had the rise that he has. I would not say I am a materialistic person, but if I had millions of dollars I would be extremely spendy :) Why not? At the same time I would put my money into the things that are important, but for sure I'd be spendy.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I totally get you.. I celebrate with anyone who can plow through the bullplop of society and what's forced onto them and "join the ranks" so to speak. I don't judge (I'm saying that a lot today lol).. I just wouldn't become what I hate the minute I came into money.. it wouldn't change a thing in regards to how I feel about money and the entire machine. That's just ME though.. and my preference in men is coloured by all of that. I dated men who came from nothing and ended up with money and they ended up being the opposite of what I needed or wanted.. I couldn't relate to them. It changed them. Only one wasn't changed, personality wise.. but I still couldn't relate to the lifestyle. That's their journey though, not mine.. I stand by "whatever makes you happy", because in the end, it's the only thing that matters in this short existance we're given. If being spendy makes someone happy, then by all means, they should spend hard ;)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, whoever is endorsing the product does not really matter to me, what matters is that the product that I will buy is of nice quality and also if it's within my price range. There are lots of reviews online too to make my decision.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    They tried to force him to be a carpenter, because that is what every boy in Ireland was supposed to do, and he was just like nope. I can't do this shit. It is not for me, and I am going to follow my passion and fight. Now he has paid off his mother's mortgage, and his father - who he used to fight with over him doing 'nothing' with his life - gets stopped in the street for being Conor Mcgregor's father. It just goes to show that you can't listen to other people and give into peer pressure, otherwise nothing changes. Nothing spectacular happens. I agree. I would not become what I hated the moment I came into money either. I don't have a problem with money in the slightest. I hate the way that it is used.

I bet it would be quite difficult not to be affected by coming into money. So many people have low self-worth and try to fill that void with money, and then they become THAT guy or THAT girl who thinks their shit doesn't stink because they have money, which I could not think of anything more unattractive. I don't blame you for leaving those guys.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tis why we homeschool.. following the herd has never been the answer for anyone, good for him :)

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    The problem wasn't even the peer pressure from everyone else to follow the herd. The pressure was coming from his parents themselves, so your kind - even if they were not homeschooled - would be ahead of the herd in any event because they would have parents who think outside of the herd mentality :)

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not more likely to be tempted into buying something due to who is doing the endorsing. On the other hand, I'm less likely to buy something if I can't stand the person doing the advertising. I guess that seems weird, but when it comes to making a purchase, I'm rarely manipulated into doing so, for any reason.

As for people I can't stand trying to sell me something, even if I wanted it I wouldn't buy it if someone disgusting is offering it.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    That is a good point to make. If there are celebrities that I am not too fond of endorsing a product, then I am a lot less likely to pay attention to the product, regardless of whether or not it would be a product that I would otherwise be interested in. I will hear the name and switch off.

14. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I think it does affect most of the viewers including me. The main reason for this is that they strategically choose the endorser specific to that ad. They make the ad very intimidating and that is the reason they are paid so much RDJ was paid around US$ 100000 for campaigning for HTC. When you see someone you appreciate and adore endorsing a product, you force yourself to try it out for the sake of the endorser. One thing that I can tell that is affected is the Models or Actors that endorse these products. People start gauging them by the product they endorse.

15. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I have noticed with products which suddenly become endorsed by famous people is that they tend to increase in price. I guess the manufacturers are making up for the high price they pay for their endorsers and their advertisements by passing on the load to customers. It's one of the disadvantages I have noticed when it comes to products and endorsements.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes they do, unfortunately. That is how you know that you are paying for the celebrity endorsement itself rather than the actual product that is on sale. If there is one thing that I cannot stand is paying for a name or for a logo, especially if there are other products on the market that do exactly the same job for the same quality, for a much better price.

17. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I actually think that endorsements should just work if the celeb has actually used the product or service. I had no problem with endorsements. They don't affect me, but its fun to watch celebs jump the hoops for extra cash.

18. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That's true! There are a lot of products out there that have the same quality as the more expensive endorsed ones, and I usually go for them. Price and quality are important for me so if there's a product that offers a cheaper price for the same quality as the popular ones, I'd patronize it.

You're right, just like with beauty product commercials especially the ones claiming that they could whiten and make the skin look younger. The endorsers they hire are already naturally fair and young so it's hard to prove if the product really works or if the endorsers even use them.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good point. Endorsers should have to give full disclosure. I mean, if you review a product on your blog, and you get paid or get the item free in exchange for a review, you have to disclose it. Celebrity endorsements should be held to the same standard. Are they verified buyers, or just being paid to make a commercial? I'd like to know, wouldn't you?

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmfao. This is hilarious. When I was reading your post, the last thing that I expected the last sentence to lead to was that comment. LOL! A lot of the time it is so transparent that they could not give a flying crap about the product that they are trying to get everyone to buy. It is clear they have not tried the product either. They seem bored as hell, and it is clear that all the endorsement is about is getting paid for the celebrity, but many fans of these celebrities will completely miss this, and buy into the endorsement anyway.