Do Endorsers Affect You?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by gracer • Jan 31, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I just want to share something I've noticed in my local TV channels lately. It seems like majority of the product endorsements in commercials that I've been seeing nowadays are being endorsed by a single person. I'm actually beginning to get irritated because all I see is her and I'm not really fond of this person at all. It just turns me off when it comes to patronizing the products she endorses because I think it has gone way too far already. Sometimes too much endorsement by a single person isn't really good for the products anymore because people could get tired of constantly seeing a just a single person endorsing almost all the products shown on TV.

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, exactly. Fans should really pay attention to whether celebs have really tried a product before telling you to try it. I mean the ripped NFL player obviously does not drink unlimited numbers of Budweisers, otherwise he wouldn't be ripped. The super rich movie star doesn't use the Loreal product because she has a ton of make up artists, docs and what not to fix things.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean the only endorsements I tend to listen to are those who have really used the product. It is one of the things that influence me. The ones that say they are not an actor or something. I think those are the only endorsements you should really listen to. I mean an actor is just someone playing a part, the may not even like the product!

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with fans is that they are a fan of the celebrity, which by its definition often means that they are a follower of the person that they are a fan of. And we all know how dangerous following people can be, because at the point where you are following someone, your logic is low and you are more trusting. So you become more impressionable, and will miss a lot of the fine print. Lol, those are great examples. It is just simple logic. Obviously the ripped NFL player doesn't drink a lot of Budweiser. But these are the massive tells that fans miss.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    It does affect me to an extent. Still it all comes down to how much i need the product and if my budget allows it. I do splurge occasionally and that's when i usually spend for things for my own selfish superficial reasons so anything goes, especially the endorsements of my favorite personality.

6. Escad

EscadNew Member

Threads:
    For me, Endorser (especially in social media) will not affect me. I don't know why but when I read or the endorsements, my brain will automatically say "no" to whatever the product it is.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember some years ago when there was a lot of hype around the ProActiv skincare range, and at the time I had terrible skin. I tried all sorts of products under the sun, both cheap and expensive, in vain. Then these ProActiv products started catching my attention as the adverts were everywhere, and all these celebrities were coming out in their droves to endorse them. I remember Cameron Diaz and Jessica Simpson were two of them, and I found it somewhat plausible because I've always understood Cameron Diaz had terrible acne. I tried them and well, they didn't help one jot!! --and they were not exactly cheap. From that point, I hated all celebrity endorsed products all the more and swore NEVER to go there hehe.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's weird because endorsers are mostly celebrities and you know for a fact what they do and how they achieve their "smooth skin" or "glossy complexion." You know for a fact that the nature of their work entails an extent of duplicity and a huge paycheck, so if you really think things through, it takes more that celebrities to convince you to buy an expensive overhyped product.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly get irritated when a celebrity hawks a product because I find it highly unlikely that the person actually uses the product. If it's a lower level celebrity that might be the case, but the top tier more than likely don't style their own hair, let alone color it at home. They no doubt have facial treatments and often, plastic surgery, so I don't believe a particular face cream keeps them youthful looking, nor that they use many other products they advertise.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Though there is a psychological tendency for people to attach more credibility to a product with endorsers, I find it a bit repulsive. One reason could be that they have been paid to do it and so are not speaking from the bottom of their heart. They could even endorse a rival product given enough incentive. Secondly, you may not like the celebrity due to own proclivities. Samples are the best so that the customer gives a first hand endorsement and spreads the information by word of mouth.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I can perfectly relate with you because when I gave birth a few years ago, zits started popping out of my face and I was really really frustrated at that time. I also tried almost anything I could take a hold on just to remove my acne and prevent them from coming back but nothing has worked. Then I saw commercials of ProActiv with popular celebrities endorsing them so I tried looking for the product in stores drug stores. Good thing the thrifty part of me took off when I learned how unaffordable the price was so I backed out. I almost fell in the trap though. :)

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    But I think that the fact that these people are famous should make the masses question the endorsements even more. People need to start looking at things in a more objective manner, I think. They'd sure hold onto a lot more of their money if they did. But then there are those who will buy their favorite celebrity's endorsed products anyway, just because they respect the endeavor and want to support the cause.

13. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to hair products, and beauty products, it really turns me off when I see a celebrity endorsing it. I'm always wondering in the back of my mind....do you really use this product?

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. I actually think that of all celebrity endorsement, the hair and beauty product celebrity endorsements do come across the most disingenuous. Especially those late night infomercials, where it's a celebrity that nobody has heard from in years endorsing the product, and it is so obvious that these celebrities are just doing it because it was the only work going at the time.

15. JoshSmith

JoshSmithNew Member

Threads:
    I could literally care less who endorses a product for a number of reasons. The first reason is that they likely dont even use the product anyways and are just getting paid to say good things about it. The second reason is that they are completely different from me. A product that works good for them, might not work for me and vice versa. I like to do research on the product instead of hearing celebrity testimonials for I can make a smart buying decision and not an impulse one.

16. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcanoNew Member

Threads:
    No, endorses have never and will never affect my decision when buying something. It doesn't really matter the endorsement if the product is of bad quality. What I like to do is do my research beforehand to make an informed decision when buying these products that way I don't have regrets afterwards. A good product doesn't need endorsements because it's good and can stand by its own.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not actually affected by endorsers as long as the products that they advertise are in good quality and has a reasonable price. I admit there are celebrities that I don't like to see but it does't mean that I wouldn't buy any products that they endorse because I think it's just absurd.

18. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Endorsements sometime affect me. If the product is promoted by someone trusted by many people then I may end up buying the product. However, if the product does not suit me or is not of good quality, I will not buy it again. If I buy a product endorsed by a popular figure and I find our the product is not good, I will never buy another product endorsed by the same person.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know they pay a big amount to celebs and add it in the cost of product. But I also know that only standard companies can afford to pay the fee the celebrity charge for their endorsement so it is kind of 50-50 in my case. i will only buy if I really find that product worth buying besides the cost is comparatively at par with other similar products.