Do energy drinks really work?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Adryan • Mar 17, 2014.

1. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    There are so many energy drinks out there even the drinks used buy professionals and I don't know if they really work. Do they give you some kind of additional energy? What about you?:confused:

#1Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Energy Drinks that have high electrolyte content can help you hydrate more and prevents dehydration. Hydration is really important if you want
    to be at your optimum best especially to athletes who happens to sweat a lot. So I guess it does help for replenishing the lost water but I don't think it does
    what the advertisements claim. You know, they tend to exaggerate.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I can speak from experience they worked on me . But I can say when you come down off the energy, In my cause I be so tired. I sleep all night or day. I used one on my way to Florida which was 12 hours and I can tell you it worked.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say no. Simply because energy drinks only give you a short jolt of energy, but you crash in about an hour. When that happens you will not be able to focus, or do anything. Energy drinks are not worth it in my opinion.

5. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Energy drinks work short term, but then you crash. In order to truly gain more energy you need to incorporate more nutrient-rich foods into your diet and drink plenty of water. Your body can only run off what you consume, so it's important to eat lots of high nutrient food.

6. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the views i would really like more!!!!:)

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Energy drinks mainly rely on caffeine and sugar. Caffeine gives you the jolt, but is not an energy source. Sugar is an energy source, bit it is not a good one as it can make you sleepy as your body breaks it down. I say NO energy drinks really are more hype than reality. The electrolytes they provide are needed, but only if you are engaged in an endurance sport. Stick to getting your energy from healthy foods and drinking water and your body will thank you for it.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The consumption of energy drinks has experienced a marked expansion in recent years. This growth is due to the need of some people to regain lost energy, the illusion that our bodies perform beyond our actual capabilities. I think that except for caffeine and vitamins, the other substances contained in energy drinks aren't "energizing" or revitalizing and, in general, there isn't evidence that they are responsible for many of the properties that are assured to have. I'm not a regular consumer of such drinks, but I didn't notice dramatic changes in the functioning of my body when I drink these energy drinks. :confused:

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that energy drinks do work. You have powerade like, that just restore the energy your body lost and than you have Red Bull and similar loaded with caffeine to make you really go forward.

Neither of these replace we being in good shape though. ;)

10. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    If by "work" you mean do they give you energy then yes, they work. They contain caffeine plus a bunch of other stimulants that will provide you with a lot of energy. However, with most of them you will get a crash.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Energy drinks won't give you any significant long-lasting increase in energy. To get that, you need the right diet and countless hours at the gym to build up your endurance/energy levels naturally. Energy drinks should only be used after any rigorous exercise, or hours of none-stop work to replace any sugars and salt, etc.

Saying that, you're not exactly putting any good stuff into your body if you care to read through the ingredients that most of them contain. I'd rather eat some fruit, and a slab of lean protein, than have an energy drink.

#11Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    That's such a broad question. Yes, most of them do work, but that's not what's important. What's important is whether they last and what you feel like when you come down from the high that it provides. If you're sensitive to caffeine, you want to be careful about how much is in the energy drink. I know of some good energy shots from Celestial Seasonings, the tea company, that are all natural and worked great for me. I got them for 15 cents each at an outlet, and haven't found them since. I don't really recommend Red Bull anymore, the crash from it is too intense for me. If you can find something without a lot of garbage in it, do some research on what's actually in it, and you'll find out how well it will work and if it will be bad for you or not.

13. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    If you believe that they will work, then they will, and vice versa. I think the whole thing is just all in the mind. I do not feel any jolt of energy pulsating within me when I drink one. It still feels normal.