Do Ethics Guide Your Shopping Decisions?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Aug 26, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are people who'll not buy products made by companies whose ethics/business practices are questionable. Some have been in the news for shady dealings or their relationship with employees have attracted negative attention and for others, exploitation of poor people in third world countries has got them a bad rep.

If these "unethical companies" have products in the market which are cheaper would you let their ethics [or lack of them ethics] stand in the way of you getting a good deal?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will not take it personally and will still buy in those unethical companies if their products are good as long as they don't harm any animals. However if I was job huntung then I certainly won't work for an unethical company.

#2Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I do try to be ethical, but if you look at the bigger picture you not buying the product will not make a difference as other people will. The only way is to campaign via social media that if these practices have been outed then it can put pressure on them to improve conditions.

Realistically sweat shops have been in existence for centuries, but if the law regulates them then it protects them. You also have to think of your budget, if you have $10 to buy a throw, there is a cheap one which is fine for $5 and made in Asia or one that costs $9 and is as good but is made in a domestic factory which do you buy? The domestic factory workers may be ill treated and poorly paid, but they are illegal immigrants and won't speak up. That's another dilemma.

4. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not going to do something Iike boycott Oreos because they support gay pride. I remember the anger rising from very conservative Christians who refused to eat Oreos because of their open support for the LGBT community. That's ridiculous. I'm not going to stop eating Chik Fil A because their hold Christian values. Frankly, I don't care what the company owners believe in; as long as they make good products, I'll buy them.

However if I KNOW that a certain product has been created under harsh conditions, I'll buy another more friendly product if possible. If not possible, I'll buy the product.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People are completely desensitized because they're disconnected from the people/animals etc that are effected the most. Your purchases contribute to the suffering of others, plain and simple. If they were standing face to face with the truth, they'd feel very differently.. but it's much easier to shrug it off for a penny and roll their eyes at the rest of us who care very much where our money goes.

When I know about it, I have an obligation to not contribute to it. Saving money is very important, but there are plenty of ethical ways of doing that. *just my opinion!*

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm buying clothes, I try to buy local brands if I can. I know that local brands have good working conditions for their workers and I am also helping our community if I buy from them. For cosmetics, I also look for cruelty free, organic and local brands. Before, it's hard to find such products but now, they are popping up from every where. Which is a good thing as they are ethical companies and support the livelihood of poorer citizens.