Do expensive products work better?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DealHunter1 • Oct 13, 2013.

1. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Well it could be true to some products but obviously not all. There are stuffs that I really trust just one brand but most of the products I use are not really expensive yet they can get the job done. It actually depends on how you use it. For example, I don't think that toothpaste are different. I think they are all the same regardless of the brand. Same as shampoo and conditioner. :D

2. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    In some cases, paying more can get you a better quality product. In other cases, you're just paying for the brand and there is no difference at all in quality. There is no blanket right or wrong for this, because it all depends on what you're buying.

3. makemoney22

makemoney22New Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with you on this one, mainly because it is just like a vehicle, when Mercedes Benz came out with the SUV, all it was, was basically a Kia with a Benz emblem on it. Branding is everything these days, and so is packaging, I would stick to what works best no matter the price or name of the product. I know people that make their own skincare products that scientifically, would beat out these huge name brands in a heart beat.

I am not saying that the big name brands are bad, I am just saying that, if you look at generic items opposed to big name brands, there is barely any difference if any, and sometimes the generic brands are better! This would be a case of testing and going with what works the best for you, not anyone else, but you, reviews only go so far, after all they are "reviews", from other people that may leave feedback because he or she simply does not even like the company/brand. Finally, I would get on YouTube and check out, "Product Reviews" of the product you are using, sometimes you can actually get those products for free, easily by doing a "YouTube Product Video Review." Just get in contact with the companies marketing manager, and state that you would like to sample some products of theirs in exchange for a Product Review, which consists of opening the box on camera, talking about it a little bit then, use it, very simple and easy, as well as obtaining information that your wanting right now.

4. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I think higher quality products cost more. But that doesnt necessarily mean more expensive products are higher quality or "better". One example is Monster Cable HDMI cables. I've seen them go for as high as 200 dollars. Test have shown that the difference between a monster hdmi cable and a standard hdmi cable is so minute that it wouldnt even be noticeable.

Also, when it comes to quality vs price, theres always a point of diminishing returns. That is, a 100 dollar product MAY be ten times better than a 10 dollar product, but a 300 dollar product wouldnt necessarily be three times better than the 100 dollar product, if that makes sense.

5. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    Expensive products tend to work much better than cheap things as a general rule, but i have found that you get to a point of diminishing returns where you can no longer see the effects or the change from using something very expensive and so i have my limits on what and how far i will go for a product. If you can go natural then i would recommend that too.

#25Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I don't believe its a fact that expensive equals better quality. I've used high end makeup products I wasn't too happy with or found a cheaper drug store brand item that was comparable and in some cases even better. For example, MAC foundation would break me out and make my face look like a shiny mess after a few hours. I now use Revlon's Colorstay liquid foundation and no breakouts and no greasy face throughout the day.

On the flip side there are some cheaper brands where you get what you paid for and that's not saying much. But check youtubers who do honest product reviews or items that they won't purchase again. I've seen several regret purchasing expensive products. But to each her own, whatever works. I'm glad I'm open minded with my product choices regardless of price. Buying cheaper is fun because you can experiment and find some gems.

7. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    Definitely not! In my experience you can get much cheaper products that work just as well, if not better, than the expensive ones. I prefer natural products anyway, because I don't like putting all those chemicals on my skin, and natural products are generally cheaper most of the time. Having said this, some cheaper products don't work very well at all, and so you do have to be very careful and make sure you've read reviews on how good the products work.

8. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    If anything, I've noticed that expensive products are much worse. I've recently transitioned to all-natural/organic products that are sold much, much more cheaper. Expensive products are only expensive because they contain chemicals that are worth a few bucks. But you can never go wrong with organic products. Never.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Expensive products do not ALWAYS work better. Some of them are just high priced because of a name brand. What I try to do is find their cheaper counterparts - products with similar ingredients for less. Also, I do my homework before buying a product in order to determine how other people rated it.

10. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Well, in my opinion the answer to this question is sometimes yes and sometimes no. It depends on the product and the brand we buy. In some cases the expensive products do wort out extremely well and there are cases in which the inexpensive one works in the same way. In such scenarios it is acceptable that they impose an unnecessary extra price on the product just in the name of the brand. I really feel natural products are the best ones to rely upon as far as all my experiences and the data of different feedback of different people with me are trusted. Though the results are seen slowly, they give you astonishing results in the long run.

11. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the brand. Some drug store brands are surprisingly high quality, especially lip products and concealers. However, some very high end products like Urban Decay are definitely worth the increased price. They are longer lasting, more pigmented, and have a better feel. Other name brands simply charge some much because they can get away with it despite not being better than drug store brands. It really just varies from company to company, so it is important to do research before you spend a lot of money on a product you end up hating.

12. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I would say that it is not essential to get name brand products for everything except for electronics. My brother always buys the cheap chargers and microphones for his Xbox and they always break within two months.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Not necessarily but it depends on how the company over the years has been producing goods. If they have been giving good quality products then am sure you will have no problem buying even cheaper products. Look like Apple products they are always overpriced but not that good.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a really generic question, but the overall answer is no, some cheaper products work as good as the most expensive ones. On the other hand some expensive products do have a superior quality and we notice it just by looking at them. So it depends on the product, some are just worth paying more for them.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi, I used to think similar until I started doing some research on what these expensive skin care products are actually supposed to do. I kept digging further and found out about the real causes for skin related problems and premature aging. So I started working with those principles in mind, toning my skin with exercise, drinking plenty of water, etc. And within a few month it really started showing. These days I am happy to just wash my skin with a gentle soap and then apply pure coconut oil. But I also like to spoil myself with a range of natural products from iherb. Their quality and standard, not to mention their prices, are something that I value very much!

16. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    It depends on what you're paying for. Some products are higher priced because they are worth that price; they may have higher quality ingredients, have greater benefits, were more labour intensive, etc. Basically, any extras that were spent while making the product, will be reflected in the price. Some products I do not care about the name, because you are paying for that companies name. I do however agree with buying better quality made skin care products. There are so many chemicals in your generic brands; that goes directly into your bloodstream through your skin.

17. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Like everyone else is saying, I believe it just depends on the product. There are some beauty products that are cheap and terrible, sure, but a lot of the inexpensive makeup and facial items do the exact same job as the higher-end products. I also buy generic vitamins and supplements and most medications since the ingredients are the same. With things like electronics, however, I may pay a bit more for an expensive product since it's such an investment purchase.

18. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Not always. But most of the time I will say yes. But you will also be surprised that the best products to work especially on your skin are oftentimes free or really affordable!