Do Holiday Sales Tempt You To Buy Things You Don't Need?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by cocolgooh • Aug 26, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I find that when there are sales around holidays I always seem to buy things that I don't really need. For example, I end up buying an extra scarf in a winter sale even though I have loads, or I end up buying an extra pair of shorts at the end of summer when I'm not likely to need them any time soon. Does anyone else find that holiday sales make them buy things they don't really need just because it's cheap?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be tempted to buy extra things, but I quit doing this last year. Now I shop for presents all through the year and by the time Christmas rolls around I am done with my shopping. I hardly even notice what is on sale other than wrapping supplies when it rolls around.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time impulse buying was something that made me spend too much money. I was one of those people who just couldn't resist a great deal even if I didn't need what I was buying.

And when I didn't have as much money to spend I had to find ways to spend less money and curbing impulse buying had to be one of the ways I could save some money. So, no, holiday sales no longer tempt me to buy things I don't need.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be easily tempted when it comes to holidays sales but now that I rarely go out, I get to save a lot from not being exposed to impulse buying. Just like what you said, I would usually end up realizing in the end that I didn't really need the things I bought after a holiday sale.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course that's the idea of retail, to get you to buy things that you don't need right away. I have been tempted to stock up and as long as you have space to do it then its' fine. Otherwise you end up hoarding things for years that were good bargains at the time.

I look back and find things from years ago that were a good buy, and I never used them and still haven't!

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I don't consider myself weak when it comes to the issue of impulse buying. However, it can be tempting when one comes across a sale or original brands of items on sale at a bargain which cannot be found elsewhere. I tend to have a weakness however when it comes to clothing items during such times and find myself discarding them later for lack of proper fit or personal style.

7. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    No not really I, I just don't go shopping that much during the holidays to have that temptation. Now where I live we have midnight madness that includes shop and the thrift store which yes I always go to that and probably buy things I don't need. Most of the time though we go to get cheap dress clothes for my husband for his job. I mean when you can get a bag of button up dress shirts and dress pants for 5 dollars or less its a deal.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh all the time. I would like to think that I have gotten pretty good over the years of limiting this a little bit, but I still fall victim from time to time, and by that I mean very often. I think I still do it with the same regularity, just maybe not get as much at one time...that sounds about right. Anyways, it is hard to pass up deals when I see them, and these ones are just there, screaming at you to take advantage, so I do. Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - even though “ holiday sales “ are not something that we have where I live - sales of any description never tempt me to buy things I don't need.

As apart from having never been an impulse buyer by any stretch of the imagination but someone who only buys items that are actually needed - as well as only replaces items when its absolutely necessary - meaning whether it be clothes, cars, electrical appliances or whatever - they are only ever replaced when they are no longer doing the job they were originally designed to do or in the case of appliances or cars - are beginning to cost a lot in repairs - I find the majority of sales are best left well alone - simply because - although they do give the illusion of being a great time to pick up a bargain - they are in reality - generally nothing more than a money making tool used by retailers to entice people into spending money - on insignificant items that probably aren't needed or wanted in the first place.

Especially as its actually real easy - if you really do need or want something - to pick up a real bargain at any time of the year - particularly as its quite normal these days to find " deals " going on almost everywhere - throughout the year.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do that more than I like to admit. If it was a deal, it was mine. Now, I try to be super careful not to overbuy, even during big sales. I find myself putting stuff back before I get to the cashier these days. Say it's scarves. I just pick the one I like the most and put the rest back.

One thing that might prove helpful is to look through all that stuff. Some of it may be useful for gifting. I used to have a spot for "extra" stuff like that, which came in handy for last minute gifts. I have given away a lot of the things I bought and didn't need, either as gifts or as donations. Someone else would probably be able to use and enjoy the items, and you won't have to see them in the closet.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    These sales are definitely one of the most efficient way for stores to sell their items fast. Every time there is a sale, whether it's a bazaar or a mall, shoppers go crazy. I can see lots of people buy stuffs from store to store and I believe most the things that they bought aren't really listed on their shopping list. Good thing I wasn't one of them. I never go crazy with stores going an sale in light of the fact that I don't usually tend to buy things that I don't need.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are at the top of holidays season and people are out on marketing spree making all kind of shopping. I know some of them are buying unnecessary items since the market forces know how to allure them. All big online shopping sites are spending tons of monies on advertising telling the public that they should not miss the golden opportunity. However, I have yet to buy a single item which is of no use for me.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This holiday sale is a trap and my wife is a willing victim. Last year when we were in the mall, she had wanted to buy a new synthetic Christmas tree and I only disagreed. But then she bought some new trimmings and decors for that old Christmas tree at home. And while decorating the tree, she admitted that our old plastic Christmas tree is still good-looking and does not need a replacement. However, the decors she bought was expensive, huh.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am tempted to buy more during this period because many items around this time are put on offers. I have actually bought items that I initially did not budget for. Sometimes ago I got an extra time piece and belts which weren't items I needed anymore.

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Not really I only buy things that I need or long wanted. I usually buy things for family rather than myself. If there are great discounts I will buy my daughter a lot of clothing since she grows out of them too quick.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    NO, unless I really need them. I have never bought anything because it was available at a cheaper rate. I don't believe in unnecessary shopping but I tell others too that these are nothing but marketing gimmicks. If you check the deals carefully you will see that either they wish to clear their old stock or selling those items on false reduced rates.

17. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, I think most of us buy things at times that aren't really necessary simply because they are sold at better price. I have come over tgis kind of tempation in general however, I sometimes do get carried away on an item or two that is too tempting to be left. Although, I debate a lot and sometimes my mind wins over my desires!

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a marketing professional so I know the reality of these "Reduced rates sales". This is part of the strategy to clear the stocks when a particular item/brand stops selling or doesn't bring expected results. The company wants to get rid of that product so that it could recover its investment.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it did happen to me because of the promo sales which the mall is offering to their customers. But later I realize that it was not indeed a promo sales. The price, I have noted, after you have deducted the discount cost of the product would yield to the original or factory price. There is no discount at all. Or sometimes I may be tempted to buy an item which says buy one take one.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It is the case with electronic items in particular. The rates are going down constantly due to stiff competition and change in technology that has reduced the number of components and size of motherboard and power-supply besides the availability of cheaper labor. They have already earned so much that they want to allure new customers by offering so called "Discount"