Do Holiday Sales Tempt You To Buy Things You Don't Need?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by cocolgooh • Aug 26, 2016.

1. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Yes Holidays makes me to buy some of the things i don't need.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think so...but only to a degree. I mean I don't "need" too many things, but at the same time, there are defintely things I could use..so if it is a good deal, I don't feel too bad about buying things if they are a good price. I mean the holiday deals can be a way to save money...so buying these items are not always a disaster..

3. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Deals can be a colossal enticement. The draw of low costs and extraordinary arrangements can be a siren's call, tricking in individuals to get enormous deals.

Indeed, even in the best of conditions, post-deal lament can be a genuine article. All things considered, despite everything you're burning through cash that could have been utilized for different things. You may likewise come to perceive that the things you purchased aren't that extraordinary in the first place.

Still the enticement of offers can be enormous on occasion. The likelihood of finding that enormous deal on that thing you're truly searching for can maneuver you directly into the store. What's more, before you know it, you've swiped that Visa by and by.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll admit that sometimes I go window shopping at sales just because the things are on sale. I try not to buy things I don't need, to save money, but it's so tempting! I applaud those who have restraint at no impulse buying. I like to get things on sale too. We have weekly sales like the ones Longs now CVS gives us, but I budget these days, so I keep my temptation very low, unless of course it's almost free and I need it then I'll buy.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This has been the case for me, especially in the past, when I had more discretionary funds. I would often buy one for me, one for a friend or family member, especially if we had the same taste in such things, and even more so if I received a discount for purchasing multiple items. I'd often overbuy and store things away for future birthdays, random gifts when the mood struck, or for myself, if it was an item that would be used up, such as a scented candle.

Nowadays, I'm still tempted sometimes, but I'm not as interested in shopping and acquiring things as I used to be. My family has cut back significantly on our gift giving, so I'm not as tempted, and don't spend a lot of time looking around and wondering what so and so would like, the way I did in the past. These days, I tend to keep my eyes open throughout the year for just the right item, rather than purchasing multiple gifts for the same person. I still buy some smaller items, but give one primary gift, and the others tend to be much smaller and less expensive.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of candy canes. They are usually cheap around here and I tend to purchase several boxes of different flavors like the lemon ones, mint, and Jolly Rancher ones. I love candy canes. I don't need them but heck I do feel like I do. It's better if you get them after Christmas, though because their price greatly decreases.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, at times I do.
    Some deals look so lucrative that I cannot resist. It might not be needed at that moment, but I do buy for future use. Moreover, I purchase some gift stuffs as well which could be used as and when required. You could save money which might have to buy in MRP. otherwise.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am tempted to buy things during the holiday season. However, I try not to buy things that I actually do not need. For example, when I was shopping couple of days ago, Christmas and New Year sales offered a Parker Pen for half of actual price. Since I don't need a pen, I did not buy it. I bought a T shirt, which I don't need at this moment as it is still winter, however, I will be using it in the summer.

9. Bllexy

BllexyNew Member

Threads:
    What you said can only mean that the people from sales and marketing are doing their job. Of course that holiday sales tempt you into buying things that you don't actually need, and it all basically comes down to profit.

Profit needs to be made on a percentage basis, so the persons in charge need to always come up with new ways of adding clever ways to gather buyers and to induce profit for the company. Flashy colors, big letters and cleverly made commercials will make even the strongest fall.

It is a constantly competing market, where only the big fish survive. You think you might be getting a discount, but it's actually the item being sold for it's retail price and maybe just slightly over that, so the companies are still making profit off of you.

There is no avoiding this, you just need to be aware of what you are purchasing and for what cause. Think about whether you really need this scarf, or can you live without this lamp for now. Sometimes it's good to treat yourself with something you like and that is discounted, but it should be vigorously monitored so it is kept under control without overspending.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I have noticed during holiday sales prices of many items are reduced significantly. They become cheaper and this has always made me buy more things than I actually needed at the moment. I remember there was this fine pair of shoes I bought during the last holiday sales, it was around 100 dollars prior to the time but at the holiday sales season that price was slashed to around 50 dollars. I was moved by the fall in price to buy it even though it wasn't a pressing need to me at that time.

11. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Cheap stuff, especially the ones we don't actually need that much but we want it because we all have our own desires, is hard to resist. I know that I catch myself a lot thinking about buying something, I don't actually need that much but I would like to possess. But I try to resist it and later on, if I don't come back to buy it, then I know that I can live without it.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah -sometimes you get caught up into the spirit of the holidays,but be very careful if you shop in stores because they play relaxing music when you go in there-and they say people will spend more time in the store because of this, so if you are in a buying mood, you might end up with some extra items in your basket. The retailers play those nostalgic and generosity types of Christmas songs over the stereo and use scents and fragrances. They sell a lot of two-for-one deals and gift box sets that can be overpriced as well,so look out for Mr retail man(haha)!

13. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Though I don't think I really buy things that I don't need, as a homeschooling mom, I am always tempted to purchase some homeschooling resources (curriculum, books, guides, stationery) during the sales, especially back to school sales. I might not need all of them now, but I think I will need them in future when my children are at older grades. Other than the homeschooling resources, I seldom buy other unnecessary stuffs nowadays.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, holidays (or any other "commemorative" date) have that power over me. :p

I've always known how to control my spending in a way where I do not stay in the red alert and I've always been proud of it because I know how hard this can be.

15. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Not really, they only tempt me if there is an item or something i wanted to buy and is now at a lower price, other than that i don't tempt easily.