Do It Yourself - Porches And Deck Maintenance Tips

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Nanatracyann • Apr 10, 2012.

1. Nanatracyann

NanatracyannNew Member

Threads:
    Porches and Decks

Most porch problems are caused by moisture from the ground below. To control moisture, cover the ground with overlapped strips of polyethylene sheeting or roofing felt. Then top this vapor barrier with 2 inches of sand.

If paint on your porch or deck is always peeling, moisture is probably entering the boards from below and causing the pain to lift off. Either install a vapor barrier or paint the underside with the same deck enamel you use on top.

Any other Do-It-Yourself tips for porches and decks, please share.
    :)

2. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for these tips! Having just moved into an older house in the last year, we are looking for ways to protect some of the integrity of the farmhouse itself and things like the porch. We are doing some updates, but have been looking for as many tips as possible to keep it all safe! I really appreciate these kinds of tips - and yes - if there are any more, please share!

3. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for these tips! Having just moved into an older house in the last year, we are looking for ways to protect some of the integrity of the farmhouse itself and things like the porch. We are doing some updates, but have been looking for as many tips as possible to keep it all safe! I really appreciate these kinds of tips - and yes - if there are any more, please share!

4. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    These are great and actually work. I have a huge humidity problem, guess like any other beach house. The best thing for me is definitely roofing felt. You can use other ways to keep humidity away, but they don't work for long and you need to re-apply very often. Hope this works longer

5. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    Interesting! I didn't know that about the paint peeling on the deck. I have been having some trouble with that the past few years and was wondering what was causing it. I'll be going this weekend to get some paint for the underside of my deck now :cool:

A really good tip. I always have problems with Earwigs getting in the cracks in my patio every summer. I recently found that a mixture of dish soap and water sprayed directly in the cracks kills them. It works really well and after a week or so of spraying all the cracks around my house, I barely see one where I used to have nests all around.