Do It Yourself To Save Money

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the feedback section there is a request for a Diy forum. I figured we could go ahead and start a thread about it here. If they decided to add the forum, they can always move this there. For now, let's share and discuss DIY projects and ideas.

I've always been a fan of do it yourself projects. I like learning new things and of course, I like saving money. One of my first projects was to build a small cabinet. Our bathroom at the time didn't have a medicine cabinet, so I made one. It's not fancy, but I was really proud of it. I made it from an old drawer and some scrap wood.

What was your first DIY project?

2. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like it was probably a nice cabinet. I was mulling over a way to fit an outdoor firepit into my tiny budget, and about a week ago, while I was at work, my son went out and built one. It's nice and rustic looking, just what I wanted!

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very cool, Brenda. I would love to build a fire pit. This is something my husband and I have talked about doing for a long time, yet we never seem to get around to it. There always seems to be something else that is more pressing. Though, when and if we do get around to it, it will definitely be a do it yourself project. Those things can be pricey. Besides, I love making stuff just the way I want it, and DIY is the best way to get what you want, if you ask me.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very handy when it comes to stuff like that I have to admit. If I tried to do it myself it would probably end up costing more as I'd have to get somebody in to fix the mess I'd have made!

I think if your that way inclined then you can save a lot of money but I'd also be wary of taking on jobs that you can't finnish...

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it is usually a good idea to start small and work your way up to bigger things. It's good to know your limits as well. I also do a lot of research before attempting a project. There is tons of information online, and some of the home improvement centers even offer classes, some of which are free. I have to admit that I also enjoy doing it, so I think that makes a difference too. It's easier to learn things that you are interested in, if you ask me.

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done a day project. I do want to do one, but the idea or opportunity hasn't presented itself to me. I am hoping that my artistic ability will help me out some. Your tip about doing research first is one I will take heed to. I also imagine I will need to invest in some tools.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, with artistic ability there is tons you can do. You already have a head start. You can create your own artwork for a fraction of the cost, and the best part is that you get exactly what you want. It's also a really cool feeling to hear someone say, "Ooooh, I love that! Where did you get it?" And you get to reply by proudly saying, "I made it." Art is the best part. So much fun. I love doing anything creative.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to look at the DIY shows that give you an idea of things that you can dofor your self and save money. It is not so much the money you save as the personal satisfaction you receive when you know you have completed the project, it looks good and you saved money. I will often go to the thrift store to find items I can purchase that need some repair and make a new addition to my home.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love doing that too. I've also had some pretty good luck with yard sales and even used furniture stores. I prefer a good piece of used, real wood furniture to the pressboard junk, even if the latter is new. The older stuff has much higher quality.

I like updating decorative items as well, and I've found several things at thrift shops.

Those shows can be really great for inspiration. I used to watch them a lot.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love D.I.Y craft, especially recycling my old clothes to a new bag. Yes, I made it that way. I like designing things I own it is much lesser the money I spent and I can choose my own decoration.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone tried DIY projects involving window treatments? I have made several of my own pairs of curtains over the years, and even drapes. I've tried making Roman Shades, but I hate to admit that mine didn't turn out very well. I have also made many valances and things, especially when decorating kids' rooms. Tell us about your do it yourself window treatments.

If you haven't done any, this is a great place to start if you are new to DIY. Window treatments come in a variety of simple to create patterns.

12. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    There are two or three frames of thought about DIY projects. 1. If you do not know how to do it, you must pay someone else to do what you could have done with some study and a little trial and error. Everything gets easier with experience. Even if you mess up, fixing up the mess up just gives you that much more experience. Trust me......I know only too well.
    2. When you finish doing whatever it is you set out to do, you get a huge sense of self accomplishment and a well fed ego as well.
    3. If a disaster should strike, by doing the DIY projects, you have a lot more going for you while trying to prepare for disasters, and what to do after a disaster.

13. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of DIY, but I have absolutely no tools to work with. My son and I built a firepit two years ago, using the brick that we had in the yard already. After we went looking for a fire pit, and found that they were just to expensive to get one, we just decided to use some elbow grease and made it ourselves. It is not the best looking, but it functions just fantastically.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Doesn't it feel great to have made it yourself, Icy? I love it. I find that it's easier to kind of build a collection of tools as you go. No one really starts out with all the tools (or all the best tools). Some tools can also be rented, if need be.

I just love making stuff. I get a sense of accomplishment, and it does indeed usually save us money.

My husband is better at DIY repairs, not so much the making stuff part like me, but it works for us.