Do Long Lines Decrease The Quality of a Store For You?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by writer811 • Jun 30, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have some patience. And I expect lines. But I really can't stand when there are employees standing around and doing what looks like nothing if I'm waiting in a line. That's just about respect.

I do expect the customer service line for returns or problems to be short or non-existent. I always dread returning anything to WalMart after the holidays because the lines are insane.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I can't stand it either the employees are just goofing around. Stunts like that will have their customers looking elsewhere for their shopping needs. I've turned to buying things from online stores. I can avoid the line and all that drama associated with the long store lines.

3. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    yes and no. If im in line for a product I really want or my son really wants I dont mind...but I generally hate lines. Its why I do all my holiday shopping online.

4. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    They don't decrease the quality of the store. But I do feel that in supermarkets when there are more than 3 people in line, another checker should be called to open a register. It is especially aggravating on the weekends when they should know to have more registers open because most people shop on the weekends.

5. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think long lines decrease the quality of the store. I think that long lines frustrate customers, and might keep people from coming back again, though.

6. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I dont patronize stores where I have to wait forever. My time is worth more than standing around waiting to pay.

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Waiting in long lines for over 15 minutes was one of the reasons why I decided to for most things online. Its a great way to avoid long lines. Even when grocery shopping I cannot stand being in line for more than ten minutes. I think its very frustrating and most times long lines are due to the company being understaffed.

8. hobbies360

hobbies360New Member

Threads:
    It depends on the day for me. If I have nothing to do and I don't have my kiddos with me; to ask for all the candy that is delicately positioned by register number four then I am fine. Often times I like to stand in line and read the gossip magazines until I reach the front. If I am in a people watching mood, I sometimes see what people in front of me buy, and use this as a way to determine their habits. Creepy but it is fun you should try it sometime. What does drive me nuts is when the customer in front of me has one full basket of groceries and wants the manger to be called when her soda that was on sale rings up for $2.99 instead of $2.89. So then the entire line must wait until the cashier can summons over the slow poke manager, who then must send Jeff the bagger to go and check the price. When Jeff finally returns he reveals that the soda was in fact $2.99. Who has time for this pettiness. In my current city cashiers wear gloves and I notice that this seems to slow them down, although I do understand the need for finger protection when you are dealing with cash from The City Of Sin. Otherwise I don't mind waiting in line, but it would be nice to receive a cold drink and snack while you wait.

9. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Long lineups in any store can ruin my whole shopping experience. That is why I choose to shop early in the morning on a weekday. I also avoid Costco cause I really hate the amount of time I need to wait in line no matter what time of day I go. So yes, it can ruin a store for me for sure.

10. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    When I go into a store and see long lines of people I see it as an indication that the store is successful and doing well. The only reason people are willing to stand in long lines would be that the prices are good and quality of products are good as well. Otherwise the customers would go to other stores where they would be helped in half the time and get better service. I don't think it takes away from the quality of the store at all.

11. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    It depends on a few factors for me.

1) I have a two year old- if he's with me, not a chance
    2) If the store has 35 lanes and only 2 are open, I don't think too highly of the store. Yes, personnel issues abound, but come on.
    3) It depends on how badly I need what I'm buying and sale prices don't usually factor in for me. Less hassle is worth more money to me.

12. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Long lines completely lower the quality of shopping for me. I avoid the high traffic times if I ever go to Wal-Mart or I wouldn't go at all. They seem to be the worst place in my area for horrible lines. I don't get angry at the store if it takes longer than expected, but time is too valuable to just wait in lines all the time. I have an 18 month old and he's almost always super patient. There have been a few times though when I had to entertain him in line so he wouldn't want to get out of the cart and run around. I really wouldn't want to do that for a long time just because the store doesn't have the proper amount of cashiers.

13. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It bothers me if they are talking and playing around and not tending to their job. If there is a really long line and I am with the kids, then yeah I won't wait, I will leave or find a shorter line. I usually try and go when it is not as busy. It all depends on the situation,, but if I don't have to wait, I won't. What really gets to me when you go to a store like wal mart and they have like 20 checkouts or more and it is a busy time of day and you only have like maybe 5 open, and then the cashiers are sometimes rude and too busy talking to get people checked out.

14. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I've really turned into an online shopper. While I understand the benefits of shopping in person, I really don't have as much patience as many people on this thread. If I know what I want, I can just easily get it and not have to deal with any other people, lines, other customers, or employees. I used to work in retail, so I understand when a store is really busy and you can tell when everyone is working. I hate when I can see employees goofing around or when they hide away so they don't have to do work or help customers. This happens in restaurants, too. I think customer service is a HUGE part of a store's appeal to me. If they don't take care of their customers, I only assume that they don't take care of other things in their store.

15. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    As much as I HATE long lines, I don't think it decreases the quality at all. It's annoying and frustrating but hey, if they're doing that much business then it's for a good reason. The good thing is that more and more places are starting to get self-checkout registers which eliminates that whole problem for the most part.

16. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the quality of the store is diminished by long waiting times, but rather, the management of the store is poor quality. I've waited in lines in discount stores, big box stores, grocery stores, and mall stores. I hate it, but unless the bad quality is across the board at all of its locations, to me it's just a bad manager. But I fume nonetheless, as I wait.

17. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Like you long lines don't bother me. If there are long lines in the stores, sometimes it means I'm shopping where there's a terrific bargain.

Everybody wants what everybody else wants is the mentality of most shoppers. Just look at the sales bins. People pass them all day long, as soon as you see one person digging in those bins, a bunch of other people will also start to dig. A good store manager will not let the lines be long if they are not moving quickly. If there are long lines because of slow or inefficient employees, then the long line is aggravating.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm quite a patient person, so I won't mind waiting for 15 to 20 minutes to be able to pay to the cashier. But I only wait that long when I'm buying stuff from the supermarket. Regarding other stuff, I tend to buy stuff from the department store during off peak times, so I don't normally wait too long in general when I buy stuff over there. But waiting for 45 minutes or more is unacceptable already, it will only be the norm if there's a sale or if it's the holiday season.

19. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't say it decreases the quality of a store for me. Sometimes, they simply have a product that is THAT good. Or a sale that is that great. I've been to stores where they have cashiers working every register and they still couldn't get lines moving but so fast because of the demand.

20. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I can't really stand around in a single place for more than 15 minutes, so it does irritate me quite a bit. This is usually the reason that I don't go out much on Black Friday. That being said, if it is due to sheer volume rather than inadequate staffing, then I can understand the situation. In addition, if the line is actually moving rather than staying at a standstill then it is also understandable as I then know that the store is doing all they can to keep people satisfied. However, if it seems like the line is going no where, then I will just leave, as the stuff I get can usually be found elsewhere, and possibly even at a cheaper price.