Do Long Lines Decrease The Quality of a Store For You?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by writer811 • Jun 30, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Long lines absolutely decrease the quality of my shopping experience. At that point I am disgruntled and the cashier has dealt with so much attitude that they are usually angry and aren't happy either. I think that the faster I get in and out the better the shopping trip for me.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I do hate lines...especially if there are members of staff available to help out who are just goofing around instead. It's really frustrating and if it happens a lot I may not give the store too much business but it does not necessarily decrease the quality of the store all around. It depends.

3. JLetterman

JLettermanNew Member

Threads:
    I personally cannot stand waiting in a long line. I understand it happens sometimes, and if the situation is being handled responsibly, that makes it easier. However, if its obviously due to poor customer service and continued bad management or labor percentage goals, then I don't want any part of that store. I am a patient person, but mistakes need to be corrected.

4. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work at a Walmart that actually did this! If cashiers had more than three people in line it was considered a bad line and they called sales associates to the front to check until lines got down.

..sadly, I've never encountered a store that's done this since.

5. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    It is relative. It depends on the nature of the store and the transaction I need to make. If I'm in a convenience store or in a fastfood, I would definitely get out of the store and start looking for the nearest alternative. For department stores, it would also depend on how long is the line and how long I think I would have to wait.

6. Smackz

SmackzNew Member

Threads:
    Yes. If their lines are huge, it's their complete responsibility that they didn't hire enough cashiers or put enough effort into solving it.
    I don't come to a shop to wait. I come to a shop to buy. If I can't buy without waiting, then i'll buy from somewhere else.

7. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    For me I like stores that are convenient so I won't lie I don't like lines very much. Although I don't think a stores lines will make or break whether or not I shop there. To be honest I never notice a store having long lines till I am actually in those lines.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I know a store is usually short staffed like that (or unorganized, or whatever the reason may be for the line up) then I won't even bother going. I don't eat enough foods from a grocery store to justify the wait and anything else can be found elsewhere. If I'm desperate for some reason, then for sure.. otherwise, I don't have the time.

9. JoeyJ

JoeyJBanned

Threads:
    Off topic but this reminds me of Walmart pharmacy. They are the only place I can go to where 4 employees are working but you still have to stand for 15 minutes to get assistance. Last time I got so angry I brought it up with the lady blatantly ignoring me.

10. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I would not wait in line for 45 minutes. That is ridiculous and way too long to be waiting in line. I would wait in line for maybe 20 minutes, but that is the max. Anything over that is unreasonable.

There is more than one place to shop at. I would just leave and go somewhere else. Depending what I'm shopping for, it usually doesn't take me longer than half an hour. And the half an hour is when I'm doing my weekly grocery shopping, so that's a lot of shopping. I wouldn't wait in line for a longer period of time than what it takes me to do my grocery shopping. No way.

11. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I don't stand in long lines waiting to checkout. From my side of the aisle (my opinion), I am the customer and I have every right to walk out the door satisfied. That satisfaction also means prompt and friendly customer service at the check out. If that isn't being done in a store, I place the blame on either the manager, owner or corporation for under staffing. Some stores may have momentary problems where things get back up every once in awhile, which isn't a big deal, but when it becomes a regular occurrence it's turned into a problem for me. If lines are too long, I will leave my selected items in the store and leave the store empty handed.

12. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I have shopped at Publix for a very long time. They always open extra registers when there is more than 3 persons in line.

If I am shopping during a Holiday, I am patient and wait, but for the weekly shopping, I prefer not to. So for convenience, I shop at Publix.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate waiting in line. Specially because I always seem to choose the longest waiting line, even when it originally didn't seem like the longest. Someone always forgets somethings, needs to cancel something in their purchase.... there is always something unexpected going on!
    It might sound elitist to say, but whereas I don't expect Forever 21, H&M and stores like those to have short and fast line, it bothers me if I'm buying at Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's for example and there is a huge line. To me, when you are paying more it's expected that you at least will have better customer service and a more efficient checkout... same thing with supermarkets....

14. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely think that long lines make a difference. Now, I think it can be expected for lines to be busy at certain times, like near the holidays or maybe on a busy weekend. But I get irritated when stores seem to ALWAYS have long lines. It definitely affects me going there or not -- like, if I have somewhere to be, I'll be less likely to even step into those stores.

15. secondhandsaint

secondhandsaintNew Member

Threads:
    I don't mind a little bit of a line. If you go to Walmart on the weekend, you're going to have to stand in line for at least a few minutes. But I feel like there's a limit to how much time is worth a good deal. 45 minutes is far too long to stand in line, unless you're getting some Black Friday-esque super deal.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The longer I stand in line at the checkout, the more I begin to pay attention to all the employees and management, and if I see them being flippant about it all and slow poking around, I become more and more infuriated. The shoppers are just as bad, some people are so freaking selfish and stubborn, that it will literally kill them to even be the slightest bit considerate that there is a long line behind them. I've lost count how many times I've seen customers do the exact opposite, and purposefully slow down and take their good old time checking out when the lines are exceptionally long, as if to say "nobody is going to make ME hurry up! I'll take as long as I want!".

I've done it at grocery stores, and I've done it at drive thru's - I will leave all my items in the buggy and walk out, or I will pull out of the drive thru and screw up their whole chain of orders (especially if other cars behind me, follow along too, lol). If they've got time to putz around, then they can go put all the items back on the shelves, screw them for wasting my time in the first place. And to the person in front of me slow poking around, good, I hope you get even more dirty looks from all the other people behind you as well - who may be considering the same thing in another moment or two.

17. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I won't blame the store for the long lines...I mean they should have long lines if there doing good. I feel like lines/traffic/ restaurant it sucks because there's other people in this world so you just have to wait your turn. :/

18. Shiditios

ShiditiosNew Member

Threads:
    It only really angers me if there aren't any cashiers at the registers. Then you realize that they are just understaffed and need more workers. It's understandable if there is a lot of people and an average amount of cashiers, but if it's a problem with the number of cashier, it definitely effects my opinion of the store in question.