Do reviews affect you much?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing reviews affect is my willingness to watch a particular show, movie, or purchase a video game. Whenever I plan to watch a movie I look at the ratings it got and decide whether I will watch it or not with that information. I will generally watch any movie that has a rating of six or more, if they have less I give them a shot only if the summary sounds interesting enough. The ratings in no way affect my opinion once I'm watching the movie though.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's an example of when game reviews helped me out. There was a game for original Xbox that was called Pulse Racer. Now, it kind of looked like an interesting racing game, but when Xbox magazine and the G4 show, X Play, gave it the worst reviews they have ever given, I had to say no. If it's that bad, then I'm avoiding it.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another game I can think of is called Naughty Bear. It looked like one of those funny and violent games, like the game for Deadpool, or what Duke Nukem: Forever was trying (but failed) to do. I was curious about this game, but my daughter told me not to go for it because it got very bad reviews on IGN and Game Grumps played it and hated it. So, I looked up the IGN review and they game it a 3.1 out of 10, which was labeled "Terrible". That seemed like one big, red flag to not get that game.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Reviews hardly affects me. I almost never read book and movie reviews. I tend to read more about game reviews, especially ones on mobile because they tend to be more buggy. But as they say, you'll never know until you try. So I'll just test it and see for myself.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Somehow, but only before I have watched the film. Somehow it gives me prejudices to the film. So I avoid reading reviews or hearing about them before I I see the film. After I have seen the film and I read the reviews, reviews only affected me a little, not that much as before I have come to see the movie. It works pretty well in everything not just with movies, but also with the albums and fiction books.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will read reviews and keep them in mind when I am looking into an item, or movie, or piece of music. But I also understand how different human beings are from one another, especially me. I have always been different and looked at things differently from other people in life. My tastes are largely different. So I am the number one judge. But that doesn't mean that I don't keep reviews in mind.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Reviews affect me greatly as it helps to know clearly what kind of movie are actually good and the ones which are bad. I usually prefer not to get the reviews online as those reviews are obtained from people we know very little about. I usually get the reviews from my friends or family as we have similar interests and it is easy to relate to them when they talk about anything.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They don't influence my enjoyment, or at least probably not that much, but admittedly they are major factors to me on whether or not I will check out a movie, game, or even buy a piece of hardware. Not that I just take reviewers opinions as facts, but I try and listen for the details they give and try to use that to make my own decisions, whether their review is negative or not. I mostly just use them to get the details I'm particularly interested in.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree to a certain extent. But then there are those times when the reviews for certain movies are great, and then when I finally watch the movie it sucks lol. I have learned that it is hit and miss, unfortunately. Sometimes the reviews are so good that one builds their hopes up too, and then the movie is a letdown. I have had that experience way too often too. Bad reviews are usually a little more accurate though, I have found. But still it is hit and miss, in my opinion.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I really like reading the reviews to a movie before I decide if its going to be worth my time to see it. Even if a movie got lack luster review I still might see the movie anyway, if it was something I really wanted to see.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, when it comes to movies, reviews do matter for me. Normally though, before i watch a movie, i would check the movie's IMDB page first and see if the rating is okay. If it's below 5.3, i will not be so crazy about watching it. For music, hate to say this but i just normally download them for free, i mean, there's tons of source online so why pay for it. Reviews doesn't matter as long as it's free. Games, well I'm not a gamer, The Sims and RuneScape are pretty much the only computer games i play and i haven't spent a single dollar on them.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh, I really enjoy reading the reviews too. But no one has the perspective that I have on things, as there is only one me, and will only ever be one me, if that makes any sense. Especially with movies, I look for symbolism. So where a movie reviewer may be looking for something else from a movie, I may be looking for that. I may base the movie's quality off of that instead of all the things that a movie reviewer may rate a movie off of.

13. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I take reviews into affect. If it is something I have been looking forward too, then I ignore the reviews. If it is something I am 50% of then I will listen to the reviews. anything below 4 stars when I need to make a decision is something I probably not want to watch or hear.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really, I feel the same way. I don't rely on reviews too much. A lot of it is personal taste, you know. When it comes to entertainment, be it movies, music, or video games, you know what you like.

15. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    There are sites that give reliable reviews in movies. If it comes from Yahoo!, I tend to believe but still I try to read other reviews to confirm. I don't really believe in Rotten Tomatoes because sometimes they take movies too seriously they forget that movies are for entertainment, and that if there are certain flaws, it doesn't really matter that much as long as the people enjoy watching it. Base on experience, the ratings given by Rotten Tomatoes usually do not agree with my own ratings.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I like looking at reviews for movies more than music because generally, people will give a pretty good impression of what the movie is going to be about and if the acting is good, etc. For music, I know what my own personal tastes are and what I listen for in music, so I don't really pay attention to music reviews. Besides, music is something you can't really describe in words; it's something you have to listen to in order to understand it completely.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't ever read reviews for music and take them seriously? I don't know what it is. I just feel like my ears will tell me whether or not I like a song, or album. I don't need to read a review first. Add to that that everyone's taste on music is different and I see music reviews as useless, except for the fact that they are written in a rather manner most of the time, and are great if you are a writer yourself and are looking to be amused.

18. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I usually look at game reviews. This is where I spend most of my money when I do shop. If the game has so many bad review or not recommended reviews, I try to shy away from getting that game. Even if that game belongs to a series that I love. I am looking at you Rome 2: Total War. Movie reviews? Not that much. However if there are a lot of good reviews, I will make my move, ask my friends and catch it in cinemas.

19. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Reviews do influence my decisions somewhat. If I read a good review I'll be more inclined to see the movie/read the book/etc. A bad review usually won't stop me from buying something though. Everyone has different tastes.

20. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Reviews don't really affect the choices I make in terms of music, movies or games. I have my own preferences and can make up my own mind and form an opinion myself. In terms of movies, I only tend to go to the cinema to watch films with my children and they choose what they want to watch. It is usually the latest animation.