Do reviews affect you much?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I do pay attention to reviews and like reading them before movies, books, games and music. I do give them attention; I will be more interested if the reviews are good. However, I have my personal preference for some topics which will not affect my decision much even if the reviews are bad. Certainly I will be a bit disappointed about it.

2. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Product reviews regarding functions do, but personal preferences do not. I do not care what a book review says, but I do care if a car is built with flaws that affect most of the cars. How is someone who does not know me supposed to know what I would like or not like? Especially when it comes to books or movies.

3. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I'd say yes and no. If the movie or game didn't really appeal much to me to begin with, I'll be sure to pay attention to reviews and rating before I buy them. On the other hand, if its a genre I really like and I already had my own opinion on the matter, I wont give much credit to a negative review and still play it.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to read reviews to get a general sense of something. If most people agree that it is good or bad, I tend to pay attention to that. Reviews won't really make or break something for me though. I'm less likely to buy something based on positive reviews alone, since reviews are often bought. They may not even be bought with cash, but bought nonetheless. A gaming zine might get exclusives from a gaming company but only if they provide positive reviews, or something like that. There are some reviews I trust more than others though.

Then again, when it comes to things like movies, I'm usually not in agreement with many of the critics. If they loved it, I may not, and vice versa.

5. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldbergNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. For products, it's important to know if the product actually delivers on what its intended purpose is and that it isn't cheaply built or defective in some way. For things like music, movies, and games, this does not generally apply as much. Things that are more "artistic" are highly subjective as to the user's enjoyment of them, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference as to how much the user rates them.

I've played games that have mass popular appeal and been thoroughly uninterested in the past. I trusted my friends' and the general community's reviews on them and was let down in the end. On the other hand, I've tried out games that seemed to have a generally negative reaction and loved them. While some people hated things like the voice acting or the art style, I thought those things were fantastic. Perhaps I'm not an expert on these things, and perhaps these things don't have the technical excellence that some others do, but I really don't care about how objectively good a textbook might rate them, I only care about how I would rate them.

6. enell

enellMember

Threads:
    Not At All!! I have never gave any attention to reviews considering games or movies or music! After all, I'm the one who's watching the movie or playing the game or listening to a certain music! So my own review is what matters as much as someone else' review! I might give an attention to reviews about something I'm about to watch or listen to or play, but that won't stop me from doing what I'm about to do anyway. The reviews suppose to affect the actors/musicians/company...etc!

7. gh0st233

gh0st233Member

Threads:
    I only buy games from the list of things you've mentioned, and I do not pay any attention to them. I like watching them, but only because I want to hear what my favorite YouTuber thinks about the game, but I don't take his opinion to heart. I usually decide if I want a game, when I have looked at gameplay videos of it. If I like the gameplay, the graphics and the story, or any other aspect of the game enough, then I will buy it, no matter what any of the reviews say. Which is why I've bought DayZ Standalone, just because I want it, even tho everyone said it's not finished yet (which it obviously isn't), it's not good enough to be played yet. But I've bought it because I wanted it, and because I want to support the developers. No review can change my mind.

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I never really give reviews much thought. I don't let them dictate the way that I will feel about a movie, book, music, or anything because people view these things differently. A reviewer may not share my same love for certain genre of music and in turn they could give the genre bad reviews based on their own personal taste. For these reasons, reviews are not important or influential for me.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless, you yourself make music or are a music critic, I don't think that music reviews should truly be a factor of whether or not you enjoy a song. The average person will just listen to a song, and based on personal tastes, will determine whether or not you like the song. No one should have to tell you what to like.

10. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    When it comes to games, yes, I depend highly on user reviews. I don't want to spend money buying games if they're not worth it. But with music and movies, I really don't rely on reviews. I have my own taste and if I like a song by listening to it the first time, I'll go with it. If the synopsis of a movie is interesting, I'll watch it even without reading a review about it.