Do standing desks really improve your productivity?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by deathbyprayer • Sep 14, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I work at home for the most part and I have to sit in front of the computer for 5-8 hours every day. As we all sitting is bad 'mkay and I do feel a bit weird every day because of sitting. I came across an article about standing desks and apparently it's better than sitting and it gives you a productivity boost. Now I don't know if it's just a marketing ploy but I want to ask you guys who have used it. Does it improve your productivity or does it just give you're feet a hard time?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Standing desks can't make you more productive. I've used something like that in the past and thing is unless you're working for two or less, you'll get tired pretty fast. I find sitting to be more comfortable than standing and because of the comfort, one would probably be more productive. So talk about standing desks being better is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

But maybe some people work better when they are standing?

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a height adjustable desk, and it works for me. For some reason, I especially like standing while I'm on conference calls. I don't know about improved productivity, but it definitely makes me feel better at the end of the day compared to when I was sitting for 8-10 hours a day.

I can see more to it than just a marketing gimmick. I think it's also more ergonomic.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking about getting a standing desk, there's nothing worse than sitting at work all day, I think that standing would make me more energized and in turn more productive.
    The legs getting tired don't seem like a big factor as you can always take a small break when you need to sit for a bit. Better than sitting all day and turning into a potato.

5. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    If the job requires me to think a lot while talking, then I'd have to stand up and walk around. It helps me think when I pace. But if you have a typing job or your just reading a script for sales, then a nice soft chair will do just fine.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Oddly enough I never really got into the standing desk. But when I play video games I tend to play standing up for some reason. But I did use a standing desk once and I have to say it is rather neat to have yourself standing around. I work as a writer and it's good to have myself standing because it gives me the notion that I'm working so I guess in turn it gets you going more since you don't want to stay standing up for a long time.

Also it can help you get into shape.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work in a hotel as a concierge and we would be standing up the whole shift. You do get pretty tired really quick. When the going gets tough though, I believe I can focus on the task while standing up and working on the kitchen breakfast counter. But usually this does not last an hour. I guess standing up while working makes me more focused.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have two desks. One is a standing desk, the other an ordinary office desk. I like to alternate between the two, as I can't spend more than an hour at a time in front of the computer, yet there are days when I have to spend up to 5 hours a day in front of the screen. I simply spread those hours over the day whenever I can. If it isn't possible, I stretch every twenty minutes and often use my big medicine ball instead of a chair.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm reading a lot of mixed opinions in the responses. Yeah I think it's apparent that it's going to get tiring if you're used to sitting and you switch to standing. How long have you tried? I'm actually really considering on a makeshift desk first and try it for a few weeks.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Well after reading the posts here it seems that standing desks do work but depending on who's using it and also the activity involved.

About a year ago in one of the groceries that I usually go to, I noticed that all of the check-out cashier's high seat were gone. I asked one of the staff there and she told me that having no chairs for cashiers to seat on highly improve their productivity (i.e. service is faster and cashiers are more alert). So I guess it can improve one's productivity after all but still depends on who's using it. :)

11. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love my adjustable desk. Like you, I work full-time at home. It's a pain in the back to sit all day in front of the computer. I stumbled upon an adjustable desk while strolling around the mall and picked it up quick. What I do is use the standing desk anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour every couple of hours.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That is the ideal solution I think, something that can be adjustable to being both a sitting desk or a standing desk.
    Could you tell me a bit more about it?
    Was it expensive and do you have any issues with cable management when you raise the table?

13. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry my previous statement was wrong. I bought my desk from Amazon now that I remember it. It's called VARIDESK. I think it costs $350 if I remember it right. Read some reviews on the web. I, for one, love it. No issues at all.

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that standing longer throughout the day can improve your overall health and I can imagine that sitting at a desk all day would create issues over time with your back among other things. I've never tried that standing desk but it would be interesting to try. I agree that I would think after a while you would feel more tired. I would. I can't stand forever without feeling tired after a while.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't think so and I haven't tried it. For me, I am most productive when I am in my comfortable position. That's when I get to think really well and creatively. And standing for such long hours is really uncomfortable, so I don't think that I would productive in that. But it still depends on the people. If someone finds it more comfortable standing or if someone is more productive when getting exhausted, then a standing desk could be his thing.