Do Tastes And Preferences Change With Time?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 9, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As one grows older obviously the clothes they wore when they were younger won't appeal that much to them. But what about colors? Do you still prefer the same colors you liked say 8 years ago or has that also changed?

When I was younger I loved cream because well, I just liked cream-colored clothes. Some things you just can't explain, right? These days though I prefer dark clothes, black, brown, etc for some reason.

What of you? Do you still like the same colors from years long gone?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the 80s I wore a lot of loud colours, safety pins and baggy clothes. Not into that now lol. I was in highschool most of the 90s, so my closet was full of black and plaid and stripes and docs and tights and ripped jeans and skin tight jeans and flannel and and and,, haha. The 90s were great.. still love the clothes with a slight modern twist.. pants were a bit high waisted then lol.

I dress differently now, with a little 90s thrown in here and there.. and I'll always love my band tees :)

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes. Well, depending on a person. There's always a change in taste during puberty and on the way to adulthood, obviously, but when it comes to later in life, it dependson the individual, I guess. My taste probably haven't changed since I came of age.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tastes do get better as you get older and you grow out of habits, then you hit a plateau. I used to love pink as a girl, now there is no pink in my closet. I choose colors to be practical now and also to reflect my personality and what looks right for me.

You also are more adaptable to products you use, because these days there is more choice. Only a couple of decades ago, there were not many varieties of shampoo, now there are hundreds to choose from.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I think as you get older your taste in everything just gets a bit more refined.

Looking back I often wonder now what the hell was I thinking, but people tend to forget that trends and fashion also changes so it applied to everybody at that one particular time.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe nothing is permanent except change, and my tastes and preferences in clothing have really changed a lot. When I was in high school, I was this sort of an "emo/grunge kid" and I liked wearing black jeans, black t-shirt, sneakers, and too much of black eye-liner. When I have gotten older and went to college, I became more feminine. I always wear dresses now and skirts too, and I often go for pastel colors such as pink and yellow.

7. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    My taste have never changed. But my maturity level has. There are alt of things that are just not appropriate on a woman my age. Not to me took I've gained some weight, which prevents me from being able to wear a lot of it. And, of course, now that I'm older I have different needs if I want to be comfortable. It absolutely kills me feet if I try to wear heels. I used to be fine wearing them all the time.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    My tastes have definitely change. I like things a lot simpler than I used to, which means more basic solid colors. Basic styles as well. I like a bit of red a lot more than I used to, also. I suppose to go with all the blacks, browns, etc. I like light colors like camel and such too; but have only a few things that are light because light colors don't fare well with me. I have to save them for dress.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think color preferences do change over time. I used to wear a lot of black and blue clothes, and now I have broadened my color horizons. I wear a lot of different colors now, and am not afraid to mix and match things. I think everything about a person changes at least a little as we get older. Even the foods we like seem to change over the years as we experiment more with flavors.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My taste in colors hasn't really changed much since I was a kid. I always liked golden-orange and purple. Even these days most of my wardrobe consists of clothes in the aforementioned colors. But, there are days, when I like to be "invisible". That's when I dress in black. Black feels very comforting to me... like an old friend.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    The older you get the more conservative and modest you become in your appearance. This also goes afar way as it relates to mothers, who wish to be adorn in certain clothing to instill modesty in their children. Brand is also another contributing factor, what brands you might wear when you are young you will not be excited about these when you are older.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A decade ago, nothing would have convinced me to wear skirts or dresses. I was more of a jeans and shirt type of person. Right now, I have a closet full of dresses plus a bunch of skirts. As I grew older, I became more comfortable wearing girly clothes although my personality isn't as girly as my outfits. Personal taste in clothing does change over time just as fashion changes with the changing times.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My taste in wine changed as I got older. I use to drink really sweet cheap wine. Now I like a dryer less sweet wine. I don't eat the way I use to now that I am more aware of what I need to make my body work at its peak performance, less salt and fried food in the diet.

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve found that to be the case as well. When I look over old photos of myself, I’ve noticed consistent themes that have held strong over the years. I’ve always loved black and white, leopard print, stripes, polka dots, shades of red, and designs with clean lines. Usually the outlying stuff that makes me wonder what I was thinking was trendy at the time. If that wasn’t the case, it was directly influenced by people whom I admire, but whose styles were different from mine. Even the failed experiments have been worth it, since they help refine my tastes further.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even know if tastes get more refined? I think it just may be that one has lived longer and has a lot more date to choose from, or select from their life experience. They know what they do like more, and what they don't like, or what has already been experienced and is unfulfilling to them now.

16. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    My tastes have changed considerably over the years. I like to stay smart and kind of "fashionable" but I really don't try to keep up with fashion as such. When I was younger I was far more conscious as to what was in and not so in. Now, that's definitely not as much of a consideration.

17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Many of my tastes have changed since I was a child but not really anything pertaining to colour. What I wear now is a tad different because I'm a professional who has to dress a certain way but I still stick with the colours of my youth. I can't say anything has dramatically changed concerning that aspect of fashion. I certainly stopped wearing my jeans backwards.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My tastes have definitely changed. I was more into neutral colors when I was younger but as I grew up I started to appreciate color a lot more. Now I always go out wearing something brightly colored or even if I have to wear something neutral I try to accent it with a splash of color just so I could say I have some brightness on me.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes of course as we get older, our tastes change, we change, our financial status changes etc I am no exception. I can't believe that when I was younger, I used to love dull, drab colours like grey, brown and black! These days I much prefer brighter colours like pastels (especially pink), white is my favourite colour, I love all shades of blue too. Purple and all shades of it, too. I still like black, but I rarely dress in all black. I love wearing a black outfit and accessorising it with a splash of vibrant colour as well as chunky, usually silver accessories.

20. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I've become much more opened when it comes to color, at least. Even if I think some things are constant, I can attest for sure that I used to think orange was an horrid color. Turns out, I really like it now (I think it might have something to do with how it's my SO's favorite color, and with new associations and force o habit, it just grows on you)