Do the costs of books influence people to illegally download them?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by bridawn • Aug 28, 2012.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't get my books in that way i get them free but by going to the library or getting them off amazon and their are sites where you can get the ebooks free cause it's a ebook free site. I don't think it's right i mean if someone really wants a book that bad there is a library where you can get it free and it's legal.

2. kidensika

kidensikaNew Member

Threads:
    I would say that in some cases it is really down to the money. If it is expensive for you to get then you will definitely consider getting it from a torrent site. The other thing is people generally want free stuff. Things like TV and radio have got us used to listening to music for free and so why pay for it. I tend to pay for stuff that is of real high quality and has changed my life, so even if i downloaded it illegally and then find it to be really good then i will go back and buy.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I think that the price of books is one of the factors that affect people's decisions to illegally download books. I'm personally guilty of downloading some textbooks from torrent sites. Purchasing those books that I have downloaded for free could have cost me a fortune. Ok, that's exaggerating but hey, if you would choose between paid or free, which would you get?

P.S. Great thread!

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To those thinking it's just about greed.. you have to think of those who are looking for real information as well. Just like with schools, holding educational reading materials back because someone is poor is a huge disservice to them. It's not just about greed.. it's about doing something with yourself, no matter the way of getting there.. and many repay when they're a functioning member of society or are good people in general and repay that way. It may not line the writer's pockets, but in my opinion, a worthy loss. I understand there are people that take advantage and it's unfair, but for some people, it's the only way they'll get what they need.

5. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I do think that the high cost of books influences people to illegally download them. I actually just saw the news today about how Apple might be in trouble over arranging for publishers to fix the price of eBooks by changing to another model of payment. I often see eBooks that are actually more expensive than the physical copies, even though due to a lower manufacturing cost and lower storage cost, they should be far cheaper.

6. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I think overall, yes. This also goes with music too because not only is it easier to just download it, but of course cheaper too. I think most people just want the easiest way they can get things and if it means not paying, then naturally millions of people are going to be taking opportunity of that. It's a loophole that is basically telling us quite a lot about humanity as a whole.

7. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    Well who would like to pay for something when you could obtain it free of cost? However I think free is better than paying, it is smart thinking.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    While I feel sad for this unfortunate behavior, I cannot condemn it strongly without appearing hypocritical. I just don't see myself buying what I can get for free.

9. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Price in general is a big reason why people pirate things. They always want the most expensive things for free, and once they get it through pirating, they think they're very clever by pirating an expensive book or anything else. It's really a shame.

10. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Yeah the cost of books are high. But still there are many online shopping sites which are offering the books for lower cost. But still the rate of books getting downloaded illegally is taking place to a extend.

11. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    Piracy is wrong and it will always be no matter what the reaon. Those who can afford to pay should pay. Those who can't should borrow but not steal. Although this is what I believe in, I would like to give all of you an insight on the value of dollars in other countries. A $15 book would be able to feed a family of 5 for 3 days. Im some households, it could even last a week You can't expect people in small countries to spend that much on a book. They simply can't afford it. People like them work very hard. To be able to get free stuff for recreation or for studying helps them. It is not an excuse to steal but these people who really can't afford it should be understood.

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like the cost of books goes up depending on what store you buy it from. There are many sores such as Barnes and nobles and borders which sell books for a ridiculous price unless you get it in sale. This is the main reason why I tend to gravitate towards downloading books online because I find free trials and I just get them immediately while they are still free.