Do we need anything BUT Internet access?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Sampson • Jul 11, 2012.

1. Sampson

SampsonNew Member

Threads:
    First things first, I'm new here, just signed up and I'm looking forward to getting involved :)

Anyway, I'm moving into a new house soon and got thinking about bills. A lot of companies do all in one tv, landline and broadband; but do we actually need all three in this day and age?

I think most people have a decent mobile phone service provider, so I don't see the point in paying for both a mobile (which I can take anywhere) and a landline. Cutting out having a landline saved me about £11 a month on a line rental and I don't get any marketing calls, so win win.
    In the UK, just to watch freeview (which has plenty of channels) we have to pay for a TV license, so I decided not to pay for extra channels. Again that saved about £12 a month; if I also went without TV, I'd save about £140 a year! I can watch TV online, it was obvious what I should do.

Basic broadband costs me about £20 a month with unlimited downloads and a good speed. So overall I save about £30-40 a month which is quite a bit.

I'd like to hear other peoples views on this, any input?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Everything is moving to the Internet TV, movies, and games. I have satellite, but I'm going to turn that off, and use that money to buy faster internet. I can watch all my shows online with the streaming TV services such as Hulu, Netflix, ect. I've gotten rid of my landline phone years ago and it was a weight off my shoulders. The Internet is making it easier on people to have only one to pay bill every month. I don't have any complaints with the way things are going, but I hope they don't up the price on high speed Internet. That would be a major inconvenience for me.

3. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I think you said it all by yourself, didn't you ? :)

You can get almost anything you want over the internet today, that's why it is, in my opinion, a good idea to get rid of the landline phone and the digital televison.

So I think you did the right thinking and choice, good luck :)

4. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I think you are making the right choice. So many things can be done over the Internet, and if you bundle all of those electronics services with the Internet it can save you a ton of money.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't watch sports, then I guess you can cut off cable/satellite. That's not something that I could do or would want to do as I do watch and love sports. I also really don't want to watch everything on a computer monitor or go through hooking up a computer to my television. I just really having certain things for specific tasks.

6. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the UK too and I would LOVE to get rid of my television completely - the fact I have to pay for a license annoys the heck out of me. However, I have kids and even though they don't watch it all that much - I would have to keep it for them. You have to be careful watching TV online too - apparently, if you watch live TV online you are still meant to pay for a license (despite all these years of them telling us the license was for the TV not the programming!). If you watch recorded stuff - like on BBC iPlayer, you don't need one.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Livvi, you bring up an interesting point. That's not something that happens in the US, but it's a matter of time before these companies find another way to monetize the content that is online. There is no way that they are going to continue to let everyone cut off their cable/dishes and not pay for their entertainment.

Currently, the biggest thing is the amount of internet people are using and getting that throttled, but it's bound to be something else and the average person is going to be left out a long limb while they try to figure out what and how to get themselves out of that new financial pickle.

8. dreamchaser

dreamchaserNew Member

Threads:
    I agree for the most part. I keep a landline around just because it's handy for power outages, and it pretty much won't ever break, but for all of my media, I exclusively use the internet. TV services are ripoffs now, always trying to suck more money out of your wallet for what? I can get almost everything that's on TV from my computer. It saves TONS of money to cancel your TV subscription and just use internet.

9. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I think that in the near future, we will just use the internet for communication. Not Landlines or PayPhones. We will all have our house phones on a program near skype, TV will be live streams from around the web, and that will be the way we live. I don't think its a bad thing, but it will be different from now.

10. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I get a lot of offers through the door from my ISP on a regular basis, the same offers over and over again. I don't think they are giving up any time soon, but I'm happy with just having an internet connection. I'm not planning on adding anything else just yet, but they do have some nice deals on, though.

11. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, a landline phone is worthless because of cell phones. Cable is also becoming obsolete because of Netflix, which is much cheaper. You can also stream TV shows off the internet. Skype also has a calling feature. All I personally need is an internet connection and cell phone.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have lived for many years with just an internet connection. It provides everything I need in terms of communications. I can watch tv online. I can make calls online. If my laptop can be folded up into the size of a mobile phone, I would probably not even need a mobile phone.

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Theoretically I guess you don't need anything but internet access. When I was living in my last apartment, all I had was internet access, and everything else came through that. The thing is, now I don't have internet access, so I need to have other things. I wouldn't have a phone if not for my mobile phone, etc.

14. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    What you need to do is ask yourself if you will live with just internet access alone. If you say yes, then get rid of those unnecessary stuff. I don't really watch tv shows that much. If I would want to watch a show, then all I need is find a site where there is free streaming and guess what, there are tons of sites that offers that kind of activity. You can even download them off the internet. So basically, the internet is all you need, nothing more, nothing less. :)

15. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    Problem with a lot of the mobile phone service providers is that their obnoxious charges for international callings. My landline does it for free :/

16. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on your preference. There really isn't much need for traditional cable services with all the subscription video services out there and Internet capable TVs. I don't have a home phone anymore, just my cellphone and I am considered cutting off my cable service for TV and subscribing to Hulu Plus and Netflix...having both of which will let me watch what I want and is less than half the cost.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once thought that all I needed was internet access. I do admit it saves money. There's a landline in my apartment, but my roommate wanted it and pays for it. A cell phone is enough for me. But I no longer want to watch all my television shows online. It doable, but it ties up my computer. As Sugarhill stated, most sports are not available online. I love to watch certain sports especially right now. It's the tennis season. ;)

18. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think the Internet is hogging all. It is one of the safest investments and the most results in the short term offers. I can not rely on my personal experience, because I have still separate services, since I live with my family. However, in a future in which I plan to live alone, I will choose just a good internet connection and my cell phone. The advance of technology, allows Internet connections are increasingly effective and multimedia content that is offered them is increasingly better quality. It's a matter of getting used to watch TV by the computer (or any digital TV) or communicate by internet paying fees Skype or similar programs. I think you're taking the right decision.

19. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    It's true, having internet is slowly becoming the only entertainment venue you'll need. And as tv slowly integrates into it more and more we may find ourselves abandoning cable and dishes.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet is just about it for me. I even use Skype for my phone. I don't have cable, I look at what I want to see online. The phones now allow you to do just about everything a laptop will.