Do We need landlines in this day and age?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Carlalexander • Sep 27, 2013.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    According to my brother, I'm the only old fashioned person left with having a landline still. The landline is a lot cheaper than any cell phone AND it is a requirement for at home customer service work. I since quit that job but I still have my landline. I've had my same number for 10 years now.

My husband and I both have cell phones. We take them everywhere we go but in our area, service is not as great. We live in the hilly area of eastern ky. No matter the weather, our service whether it be landline or cell, are sketchy.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! We need them like we need a home-address.

Now granted, it wouldn't take a huge evolutionary-shift to devolve back into nomads; but land-lines are an anchor keeping us from turning into such monkeys!

"But you can't have 'everywhereness' without a cell-phone!' Really? I DON'T WANT "everywhereness"! When I'm out doin` somethin`, I'M BUSY. The only place I'm ever NOT busy is AT HOME! CALL ME THERE!

#42Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Landlines are essential even for today and the only reason is the internet. Broadband connections are everywhere in my country and they are all depended on the already existent landlines. The only improvement that i would suggest is to place the new lines underground as they do in every European city. In Greece we put them above the ground and we have an ugly result

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Are your lines 'snaking along the ground like untended vines' or are there telephone-poles like we have in America? I don't think we want them underground (though they'll get there soon enough if THE MATRIX is an accurate prophecy :p ), because of the frequent earthquakes we have (at least in the State of Oklahoma).

5. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Well we have them on telephone-poles like in America, but it is still an ugly sight to your eyes. I did not thought about the earthquakes though, we also have some in our area. Maybe the engineers that decided to be like that, know a thing or two on the subject :p

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think landlines are a necessity any more. But since getting rid of them means a number of people will lose their jobs, it's only for that reason I believe we still have landlines. Since we lose nothing by having landlines why not let the few people who still work for the telephone companies retain their jobs?

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Same reason boats either have anchors or are tied to the dock (rather than just being left to float around wherever they might go). Close to the reason train-cars are attached to the engine-car (rather than running on the momentum delivered through the track to the wheels).

8. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    Everyone in our house has cell phones! We haven't had a landline phone in about 3 years. When we did have one, it rarely rung and when it did, no one picked it up. It was a waste of money paying the bill every month.

9. robin2508

robin2508New Member

Threads:
    I dont think is is necessary anymore to have a landline, I dont even use my mobile for calls that often. Nowadays with so many communication apps, you dont need to text / call anymore.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I still like having my landline phone because I got 100 minutes free calls to every numbers and it resets its cycle every month. I don't buy a phone credit too often anymore unlike in the past when I used to have only mobile phone for calling. It makes my phone bill cheaper or get to zero most of the time.

11. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    My husband and I bought our house six years ago and when we bought our house we never bothered with a landline because both of us had cell phones and those were the only numbers that people had to reach us. I think for people that are home most of the time it is okay to have a landline but the vast majority of people today don't really need them.

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    In this day and time everyone has cellphone so it would be pointless to keep a landline phone. Even the elderly has cellphones now and so many companies are offering the lifeline with the service that cellphones have taken over. I feel that landlines are of no use now.

13. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    I like to have a landline, just in case for some reason my cell phone dies and I'm in some sort of emergency at my house. Landlines are too terribly expensive anymore either, so I don't see why not, just in case.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They are a waste of money, I ditched mine like 10+ years ago and never looked back. The only calls I was ever getting on it were telemarketing calls, morning noon and night for those stupid fireman/police retirement donation scams, and other offers. To make matters worse, they were recycling many of these numbers from previous subscribers so I was getting all their BS phone calls too.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago, that my folks *insisted* I get a land line in addition to my cell phone in case of an emergency of some sort. I was having some health problems at the time and living on my own a few hours away, so they were worried. I got it to shut them up, but honestly I never used it at all. Plus the call quality wasn't all that great either. The other thing that irked me with it was when someone left a voice message - it would play it out really loud over the loud speaker, and if you were walking down the hall in my apartment you could hear everything.