Do We Really NEED Another "Exodus"-Movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by mythman • Dec 12, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

opened today, and ... really? Did

not give us a "classic" that tells the story well enough that we don't need Ridley Scott (with Christian Bale & Ben Kingsley) to tell it again?

It's like another TOTAL RECALL- or STAR TREK- or BATMAN-reboot. Aren't the reboots stealing something from their predecessors?

(In 5- or 10- or 20 years, will Exodus: Gods & Kings replace The Ten Commandments as the networks' Easter-movie? I hope not!)

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the younger generation will find it hard to appreciate Charleton Heston and Yule Brenner and the movie producers and the like are banking on actors like Bale and Kingsley to pull them into the theaters. I'm going to be waiting to hear the reviews which I believe are going to be pretty good.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I think its okay to produce another Moses movie, so long as it isn't a direct copy of the 10 Commandments movie with Charles Heston and Yul Brenner, which itself is still a classic and great to watch. It seems more a action packed movie this time around with Exodus, and looks like it's meant to dispel a lot of the fantasy involved and directed more at a historical context. I have high expectations Bale will perform good in this movie, which he hasn't let me down in his last decade of acting.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Biblical stories told through the eyes of Hollywood are not even worth considering. I'm not a hardline Christian as I'm more inclined to adopt Tolstoy's Christian anarchist belief, but if I were to watch such types of movie, it's only because I want to know what distortions Hollywood had to inject to push such movies to the top of the box office list. The Passion of the Christ movie was a lot more compelling. At least Mel Gibson did the movie justice.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, reboots seem to be sure way to rake in ticket sales, so as long as consumers continue to watch them for the sake of nostalgia, producers will continue making them. Personally I feel that it is sad that creative talents are stuck creating reboots instead of brand new movies.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the 'reboots.' To see how another director/producer's take on a classic is quite interesting - sometimes. The same applies to music.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really interested in seeing this movie, but I don't think The Ten Commandments stands the test of time. I tried to watch it a couple of years ago and I regretted it. Somethings just belong in the past.

Generally I'm not a fan of reboots, but there are exceptions. I love the Star Trek reboot.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Studios make reboots because each generation has it's favorite actors and actresses. And thing is the younger movie-goers may not be willing to watch the older movies because they might believe the quality, even if it's the graphics, are inferior. So as long as there people willing to watch reboots and make the studios more money, they'll make as many as they can.

I may be criticizing them but occasionally I do watch reboots out of curiosity to see if the new movie is better than the original.