Do Women Ever Get To Old To Wear Dresses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Leah • Apr 5, 2016.

1. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    Do you feel more feminine in a dress as opposed to wearing trousers?

Now I've gotten older, I find myself wearing more jeans than anything else. I know I'm still young but as I've grown up they make me feel more insecure but I do very much prefer them. How old do you think is too old to stop wearing dresses or do you think a woman of any age should be able to confidently strut her style in whatever she wants?

Of course, I think a woman can look amazing at any age, in whatever she likes but I would love to hear your differing opinions.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely understand your point. Before I got pregnant and gave birth, you would always see me in dresses. It doesn't matter what cut or style, just dresses. At that time, any style and fit is okay with my body type. Be it loose, fitted, empire or whatever... I didn't have a problem wearing dresses. And back then, I felt like they were easy to wear and match with shoes. You don't have to think about what top or pants you would need. It saves me a lot of time and effort.

But then I got pregnant and gave birth, I gained some weight and some styles aren't for me anymore. Dresses are a hit and miss for me right now. Sometimes, I'd look good in them, but most of the time, nope. So more often now, you would see me in jeans and shirts. I figured that the more loose clothes I wear, the bigger I look.

For me, there's no set age that you can stop wearing dresses. You only need to keep in mind your body shape, work and even your event that you're going to. There are lots of dresses types that can fit in for a particular body type and occasion.

And lastly, wear clothes that you're comfortable with. I'd rather be in a t-shirt and jeans than constantly tugging a mini-skirt down. That's just me.

3. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I am not a girl/woman but I would like to say that I have seen a lot of old women using dresses, I will not say they look bad but I personally think it is all about the kind of dress you're wearing and the design itself, as we all know there are many kind of designs adapted to every style or age, it is all about how you express yourself whilst wearing a dress and I also think that dresses are mostly for special ocations use, I would not like to see my mom out the street wearing a dress, unless she's walking on New York streets, that might be a different story but it all depends in how comfortable you feel with it, being uncomfortable means that you dont like it, if that's the case, then do not wear it.

4. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I think you should wear a dress if you feel like wearing one, independent of what is going on around you. Even if you are a man, and want to wear a dress, you should go right ahead with it. It can be very liberating, as it was for a friend of mine who discovered that he felt simply wonderful in a dress.
    I don't think you can ever be too old or too young for anything. It all depends on your attitude. I

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At one time women could only wear a dress, so no there is never an age to old to wear a dress. The style of the dress may be more limiting as age or weight have changed.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that whatever a woman wears is feminine if she wants to be feminine. It's up to you whether you wear pants or dress, both make me feel feminine. I prefer pants myself for they are comfortable and you don't have to worry about most anything when you wear pants too!

7. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    My mother often says that she is too old to wear something. However, I don't think that age should play much role in choosing your clothes. If you like something, if it suits you, if you feel beautiful in that piece of clothing - I say go for it! It doesn't harm anyone if a middle-aged or senior-aged woman wears a dress, so why bother? Although I'm young myself, I don't like dresses and prefer jeans because they are so much more comfortable. But everything depends of an individual, and I wouldn't let society dictate what you should and should not wear!

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think any woman is too old to wear dresses. Keep in mind that there are a huge variety of dresses out there. I think it depends on which one you pick and how you can use it to make yourself feel beautiful and confident. For example, if someone gave me short dress I would refuse, but a longer one would make me feel more attractive. Actually, the older I am getting, the more I find myself wearing dresses. Trousers can make you feel feminine as well, no doubt about that. It depends on of course which ones and how you wear them. Accessories will always seem to play a key role in dressing as well.

9. Cassie Lyons

Cassie LyonsMember

Threads:
    I wear dresses or skirts probably 80-90% of the time. While I am young (mid 20s) I still feel like I'll wear them even when I'm older. I always dress appropriate though. I dress business casual/business professional most of the time. I have a few casual dresses but they're still close to knee length and not too revealing.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, people say you can wear whatever you want as long as if you're comfortable but I don't care about that. There is a certain age you start looking ridiculous if you wear certain clothes.
    Only a few years ago, my grandma, who was probably 73 or 74 at that time what with me shopping and she wanted to buy two dresses that I wanted to buy, and mind you I was probably 23 them .... They were shorter dresses, with a bareback, and although I am pretty conservative for my age, they were not appropriate for her. It ended up that I didn't buy the dresses, obviously I didn't want to have the same dresses as my grandma!

11. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    women should be able to wear dresses no matter what their age, but its just about being age appropriate. you wouldnt see a women in her 80's wearing a skin tight revealing dress that only just covers her bottom!

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think anyone should wear whatever they want.. any style, shape, cut, colour, fit. I get super tired of people judging how others dress as if it actually affects their lives. Rule of thumb: if you feel good in it, wear it! ;)

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's up to the individual. In my grandparents day, women only wore dresses, and that's what I was used to seeing my grandmothers wear, so of course I would never say a woman is too old to wear a dress. I think there are particular styles that may not look good on some women, but that's the same as could be said about other clothing, on both males and females. I don't find tight or skimpy clothing comfortable, so I don't wear it, but what someone else wears is up to that person.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There is no age limit on when to wear a dress. Now as far as styles is concerned that us up to the individual person. Like for instance how many women do you see wearing a mini dress pass a certain age? Besides, dresses help take away the stress of trying pair tops and bottoms. Though always do what is best for you in any situation.

15. jen528

jen528New Member

Threads:
    No way! Just like any other piece of clothing there's a style that suits every age and size. Maybe as you get older you want to find more modest styles, but it doesn't mean you have to relegate yourself to pants for good :)

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that as long as it suits you to wear a dress then you should have no problem doing it because it is never too old to wear a dress. I've seen celebrities wearing them even if they are already 40+ years old!

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say you are never to old to wear a dress. What I do take issue is when women wear a hemline that is obviously too short for their age. I have seen some women who are clearly in their 60's wearing mini skirts. It just doesn't look right. I think there are so many styles of dresses you just need to find a style that works for you.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not know about your culture but where I live, dresses are worn by women of any age - even little girls. I wear dresses all the time, about 3 to 4 times in a week depending on my mood or whenever I fail to wash my jeans on time. I wear jeans too but I hardly pay attention to what people think about my outfits. I just wear them for my own sake and because I love to dress up any way I want to.

19. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    It's always cute to see someone older in a dress. Go for it. If you like it, do it. Women tend to be a bit more concerned with how others will view what they wear - they view YOU more than what you wear, so just shine :D

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think a woman can ever be too old to wear a dress. Not too long ago most women wore dresses until they were really old. And in some parts of the world only younger women wear pants while older women prefer to wear dresses or skirts and blouses — a cultural thing.

That said, I think one should opt for whatever is cheaper. If pants are cheaper, buy them. If dresses are cheaper . . .