Do You Always Buy The Latest Model?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Aree Wongwanlee • Aug 21, 2016.

1. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I have been buying smartphones and computers for many years now. I found a way to get more value for my money. What I do is wait for the launch of a new model. When that happens, the previous model will suffer a substantial drop in price to clear stock. That's when I buy. True, I don't get the latest model but I get one with features which are still very much up-to-date at a much lower price.

How about you? Do you always buy the latest model?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do this with game consoles, but it has gotten to the point now that even when the new models come out and hit the market, the older consoles are not dropping in price all that much. I find the same is often true of the smartphone market, or of the tablet market.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to electronic items like phones and computers, we never buy an old model because technology is so fast to move that your model this year may be obsolete in a year or two. As much as possible, we buy the latest model as long as we can afford.

In fact, we are to buy a new computer now but we are still trying to raise more for the budget since a latest model computer is quite expensive and somewhat unreachable by our budget.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't do that at all. I'm not a huge techie and even if I wanted to keep up with the trends, I couldn't because it wouldn't afford it. It would cost way too much money than I'm willing to spend. Besides, it would become a vicious cycle because there's always something shinier and better coming out. I'm glad I'm not that way inclined, instead preferring for the prices to come down before I invest in my devices. So basically, by the time I get round to buying stuff, they already have newer models. Not bothered at all.

5. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to, but if that was the case, I would not even last six months with my actual device if I will be buying the latests ones as soon as these get released, it would be quite odd and also it would be a bad investment, unless I decide to sell my previous devices right after buying the new ones, it would make more sense that way, that's my opinion though.

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I never by the latest is tech, I buy the best deal and then I don't by new until the device is completely broken. As long as a device is working and doing what I need it to do then I am good. I understand the draw to new released devices but I personally think it is a waste of money if you have a working device.

7. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Once upon a time, I did always buy the latest in smartphones. However, at that time, I was working as a radio dj for a smartphone dealer. The income was good and I got special discounts. After I finished my contract, I stopped buying the latest models. I did notice that with one particular brand, in my country at least, whenever a new model comes out, the previous model must drop in price, by quite a lot. This brand is Samsung. Does the same thing happen for Samsung in your country?

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no need to buy the latest model since new models are released very frequently. Though you might trade in your previous generation device, you'd still be spending too much money on smartphones or computers. Me, I only upgrade when circumstances demand that I do. If a phone or computer is working just fine there's no need to get a new one.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I actually don't buy the latest models as well, preferring to just wait until the price drops, so that I can get a phone or a gadget at a lower price. Actually, the phones that I buy are all old models, so that I won't have to pay that much money.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Bingo. Things just move too fast these days, and if I ever get the newest of the latest, I cannot help but know that something even newer or better is going to come out soon, so I will just be in the exact same situation. With that, I like to save a little money along the way and just make a good, solid decision based on my needs and wants, but mostly my needs, and the older versions are usually just fine.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @rz3300@rz3300, I agree, and you can even save more money by looking at 2nd hand classified sites. If you're lucky, then you can chance upon a slightly used item that looks almost good as new, that has happened to me before.

12. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Don't go for the latest model. Don't listen to all the marketing spiel. Look at what you really need. Like, for example, do you really need a camera with 12 megapixels? I have tested quite a few. Five megapixels is good enough for most purposes. I mean, how often do you want to blow up your picture to fill a 40-inch screen?

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy the latest models because I have always found there are issues and bugs in the first few months and things either get recalled, or you have to add on something to sort out the issue.

The rate at which new models come out is so fast, I don't need to upgrade and also I hate the hassle of figuring out new things when I have just gotten used to something.

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I'm quite a pragmatic buyer in regards of electronics and other gizmos purchases. I usually make a comprehensive research about the hardware specs of a device to decide whether is worth paying the price or not. Since I know how to install custom ROMS on an Android software compatible device, I wouldn't bother buying an expensive Apple gadget or hardware.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, not at all. I find something and stick with it through its gnat like lifespan and move on to the next cheapest, well (enough) made product that gets the job done. Don't care for brands or latest and greatest.. I just want to reach out and touch someone lol.

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have older models of my phone and tablet, as well as my computer, and as long as they keep working and can be updated properly, I will not buy any different ones. Most of the time, the software updates keep me working with the latest information necessary, and just having a newer model of phone or tablet is not necessary.
    We actually do almost everything with the iPad, and hardley even use the computer anymore anyway. You can do so much more with the iPad, and computers have already started to become obsolete for home use, although still pretty much in use for businesses where they need specific programming.
    I have a keyboard case for my iPad, and it is basically just like a small laptop, for all practical purposes.

17. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    There are certain features that I need when shopping for computers and such. I always make sure that what I am purchasing has these features, such as with my recent laptop purchase I required a quad core. You can get those now without buying the latest model which is a great savings. So I look for features rather than the latest model.

18. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    For the most part on electronics I do buy the latest model. When I get a new phone every two years I get the newest model, although I get a new one this year and the iPhone 7 does not look very appealing to me. For that I'm thinking about going with the 6s. For video game consoles I definitely buy the latest model. The main reason is that a lot of my friends do, so I do it so I can keep playing with them. For the most part if the product is worth it I'm willing to spend the money to get the latest model.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    No, I never do that unless the new model has something I really want and don't care paying extra for. If it's just for the same purpose, an older model is fine and it's always nice to have a few extra bucks in your pockets.

20. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am not so keen to keep myself updated with new models of gadgets; be it laptops or smartphones. I know there is no end to that if I start doing that. I agree with OP that as soon as a new model is launched the former one would be available at big discounts. But at the same time we would lose a great deal of money if we try to exchange our current gadget for another updated one. The resale values of these gadgets are really low and you may end up having huge loss. So there is no meaning in investing money in gadgets every now and then.

Technology is changing every second and new models will keep on coming. I think it would be ideal to study our requirements and choose a model based on that. Don’t try to change it more often if you are cautious about your savings.