Do you always make sure you get the right change when you buy something?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Jul 26, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't... I don't bother to much to double check my change everytime...
    Plus I'm also not the sharpest mathematician in the tool box :p
    But I have caught people trying to be overzealous with keeping my change safe... So I should probably start double checking everytime...

What about you?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally don't count my change until I'm home. Should I find a discrepancy then I'll complain the next time I visit the store. This is a lot easier where we live because we make most of our purchases from Ma and Pa shops. The owners know their regular customers so should you raise a genuine complaint then they'll 'do the right thing.' From other bigger stores though, I'll count my change before leaving.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I made a mistake where I forgot to take my change from the cashier who did not hand it to me but prompted it to come out of a small machine at the end of the register. I needed to go into the store again and came back through the same register. I realized I forgot the change but at that very moment, the cashier scooped it up and put it in her station! I let it go but have been thinking about it every since 2 weeks later my grandmother gave me a jar of change she had been saving for 2 years: it had 400.00 in it! Now I am determined to get my exact change and save it! Even if I do not want it in my wallet, I am going to immediately upon coming home put it in a jar and not allow myself to dip into it. So yes, I am a change saver but only recently reformed.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know it's bad practice, but I tend not to, most of the time. I'm just almost always in a hurry to get out of the store and be over with it, but I do sometimes watch the cashier as they count the change before they give it to me, or at least I take notice of which bills they put in my bundle of change since they do sometimes make mistakes.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently had a bad experience from being in a hurry and not paying attention, so I'm more vigilant now. I was in a hurry once, so I didn't notice that the cashier forgot to give me the $40 cash back that I asked for after using my debit card. When I got home and went to put it in the "rent can" towards my rent, I noticed that I didn't have it. This led to a whole thing where I had to go back with my receipt and they had to go over the security camera footage to see that the cashier didn't give me the money. I did end up getting the money, but now I'll pay more attention. This is one situation where being preoccupied and distracted by worries can make things worse. I had a lot on my mind that day.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use credit cards most of the time. When I go through the self checkout section, I do check my change to make sure the machine gave me the right amount in return. Otherwise it's not really something I am entirely concern about because over 90% of the time I am using a debit or credit card.

7. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    I rarely, if ever, check to make sure I got the right change thoroughly. If I'm due 3 bucks and a few cents, and I see the three bucks, I'm good. I don't pay attention to the cents and change, but the dollars I do glance at. It's even better when the clerk counts it back to me.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    My fiance does. He will recount the money and then look over the receipt. I occasionally look over the receipt, but most of the time I don't. It is bad practice considering the cashiers are people and make mistakes. Plus, I've heard of so many scams, which makes me want to check, I just don't think about it. I need to get into that habit more.

9. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, to be honest. I know some people may do it because they can actually save up to a few dollars a year by doing that, but for me if it's like loose change I don't worry about it. But if it's like dollar bills and stuff like that, yes I will definitely double check.

10. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I always check my change and all the prices and items on the receipts. I have worked retail for over 20 years, and I know how easy it is for a worker to make a mistake. I want everything correct.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always count by change before leaving the store. It's really a habit. I have never discovered a big discrepancy. Sometimes my change is off my a few cents. I really get annoyed because clerks don't count the change back to me.

12. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    Of course, all my change for the day goes into a small cup on my dresser which then in turn goes into to my big water bottle bank in the closet. I have always saved my change, my dad taught me at a young age that it can add up without you even realizing. I usually break it open at christmas time and hit up a coinstar. Helps me buy a lot of stocking stuffers every year.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I noticed that I never count my change whenever I buy something, especially if it's coins. I think that I trust the cashiers too much to not make a mistake, lol. I only do that when I get home and look at the receipt. I guess I should be more vigilant about these things, because I might end up being shortchanged in the future.

14. kal30314

kal30314New Member

Threads:
    I use debit card, gift cards & coupons on most of my shopping trips. I have learned if I am asking for cash-back, I hit the button on the machine as fast as I can because I have heard stories how some cashier can take part of cash-back, this can be true or false statement. From getting cash-back I have not had any problems & before leaving the store I all way check my receipt. Yes I check my change if I use dollar bills. I think if I want to donate my money to charity or give a cashier tips let me do so on my on turns.

15. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I don't normally count my change. As soon as the cashier hands it over, I just slip it in my pocket and don't even bother putting it in my wallet. I guess I just don't wanna keep the other customers in line waiting too long because I hate that too. I know it's not a good practice to not count. I have been given the wrong change so many times before, but often the difference is just a few cents. I don't mind losing just that much.

16. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Yeah i guess its quite much necessary to have the right amount back which sounds,Most of the times when we see the ways of understanding all the factor the staff who sits on tills they start enjoying all the necessary terms which helps productively.

17. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    I usually don't, because if I tried counting it I would be there for a good 30 seconds looking like an idiot, and I try to avoid that. I just try to keep track of what I give them, whatever it may be, a 5 or 10 depending, then as they hand me my change I try to count it as they it lands in my palm, if it looks right then I just carry on and leave, if it doesn't then I do count, assuming it's just my imagination playing tricks on me.

18. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Yes, I always double check my change. For one, being a clerk doesn't exactly require a degree in mathematics. I have seen them struggle with the simplest of math problems trying to figure out exactly which coins to hand out. And two, I have caught clerks trying to jip me out of my change. I had a lady the other day claimed that she had already handed me a five, and I had to get the manager over to count her drawer. I was right.

19. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    Good cashiers count your change back out into your hand. If they don't I will sometimes check, but more often than not I don't. It's a time thing, I have found the wrong change numerous times so I should have learnt my lesson I guess. We are quickly advancing towards only dealing with machines anyway and they are better at counting than humans. :)

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely pay with cash anymore, I'll usually use my debit or credit cards. However if I'm paying cash, yes I always count the money to make sure I got back the right amount! I have had a couple cases where the money was wrong, even a case where the cashier gave me more money than the actual change. If it's missing I ask for the remaining and if it's more than what they should give back I'll return it and let them know. If the cashier has a negative amount in their bank they need to pay from their own pockets so I would never keep more change than I should.