Do you always make sure you get the right change when you buy something?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Jul 26, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I also rarely carry cash around with me anymore, but I am slightly aware of what I'm getting back in change, especially if the cashier is totally relying on the register to make the change. I only really care about bills though and don't really bother to check the coins if it's exact. While it's always good to double check, $.10 here or there doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in the long run

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I do not check my change if it looks right, I can quickly in my head tell myself what coins should be in my hand when I receive the change, I don't count it check for a certain number of coins, some times I if I am not already told myself what I should be receiving I have to look at the coins to make sure I am right. I usually will not check the receipt because I have added that up in my head and usually come with a few dollars if I miss priced an item. One time I got home and realized I had spent too much money looked at the receipt to find out I had been charged twice for the same item, back to the store I went to get my money back.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I probably don't check nearly enough. There are times where I get a sixth sense that maybe I should though. It's more likely when I think that the person might be consciously short changing me and it's my reading of human behavior. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. It's something that I would do more often than not, though, if I've arrived in a foreign country and am getting change from the taxi driver.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More often than not, I try to check whether or not I got the right change for my purchase. I don't bother if the change is just around 50 cents, but if it's a dollar or more, of course I would not let any cashier off the hook. They should know better than to not give me the exact change. It's not really the customer's job to be worried about change.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard some worrying stories about cashiers giving the wrong change, but I can never seem to remember to count my small change. Of course I do count the bank notes just to be sure. Like PhilA state;, really a good cashier should tell you how much your purchases are, then in giving you your change back, count it out so that you're left with no doubt whatsoever that you have the right change.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't usually keep track of my change whenever I go shopping which really puts me in a position to lose money. That's why I'll try to count my change the next time I go to the mall. However, I do keep track of my change when I use public transportation on my way to school. I have a fixed budget for my daily activities and losing money just because I didn't count my change would result in my walking home instead of taking the bus. I wouldn't want that to happen cause the I live very far from school hahaha.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I check my change every single time. I'm on a really tight budget right now and cannot afford to lose anything. I know most of you will think I'm crazy for doing this but there have been a couple of occasions where I've been given too much change. I've always given it back. Not from some sense of moral superiority, I'd just hate for someone to lose their job because their till didn't balance at the end of the day.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I never really check my change. I know people of my family check the bill and then check to see if everything is there but somehow I'm too lazy. I just cannot be bothered, unless something would seem really wrong. I'm more concerned with looking at the register while my products are counted. Many times discounted things do not appear as such at the cashier and I have to point it out to correct it.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always count my change unless the cashier counts it infront of me. I usually look at the receipt first to find out how much change should I get and later, count the change, sometimes infront of the cashier. Every cents and penny counts and I don't want to pay more than I get.

10. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the change size to be honest. I always check my change and never had any problems receiving less cash than I should. A few times I actually got more change that it was right and I signaled the cashier right away. I consider myself to be an upfront honest person so I do not like taking what is not mine or giving what is mine without permission. Counting change is nothing to be ashamed of. They will not give you a bread or some items without 1 dollar so why would accept to get less change?

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seem to have a natural, in-built sensor inside me when it comes to someone trying to short change me, either deliberately or by accident. I immediately detect it. It's surprising how often it actually happens to me. But nine times out of ten it's only human error.
    Yet, there have been occasions when people tried to deceive me, but I always got my money back, as all those tactics don't work on me. Most of the time such people try to confuse their customers and, unfortunately, many fall for it.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check and prefer to count it out to them or give the exact money if possible. I know how easy it can be to give someone the wrong change as I used to work on a stall with sample sales and people would confuse you and add things and then change how they wanted to pay, so I always check and ask for a receipt as well. It's a good habit to have and I have been short changed before so I do it in front of the cashier before I walk away.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely make sure that I get the correct change when I by something, no matter how small the amount of change is.
    It's a cliche to say that a penny saved is a penny earned, but why should I throw away money when it only takes a moment to double check my change?

14. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone here ran into cashiers that give you less change on purpose? I recall a story of a small corner store which had the reputation of always giving bad change...

15. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes do, but it is something that I need to do all of the time, not just some of the time. It is a wise thing to do. One should never be really flippant about money, even if that money is in the form of pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. Every bit counts.
    I was watching a documentary about one of the Rockefellers. He talked about being meticulous with counting money when he was a young boy, even down to the penny. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

16. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I do check my change, religiously. I save my change for hard time so I like to make sure I have the correct change. I even sort my change into 'old' change and new change. I will use the new change first if I need to. In case the monetary system collapses the older change may be worth more. This is because the metal to make older change is different and worth more. (I'm a little obsessive.)

17. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I virtually always use my credit card so this is rarely an issue. However, admittedly the rare times I do use cash I only look at the primary bills or coins and ignore anything less than 25 cents. I do wonder though whether I should make a more conscious effort and pay attention, but I suppose part of me doesn't want to hold up the line or anything like that.

18. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kind of jealous about you checking your change religiously. I need that type of work ethic when it comes to checking my change, that's for sure. I save a lot of my change, and I really believe in that because one day I really needed some gas for my car and was out of money. I took my pennies to a "coinstar" kiosk, dumped my pennies into it and found that I had over 8 dollars. I was able to get some gas and a few snacks too.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't count my change but a few times I have and was very happy that I did because an error in the change returned to me was not correct. I don't usually check the receipt knowing I should one time I was charged twice for an item but I did get my money returned.

20. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how much change it is. If I buy a candy bar with a 100$ bill then you can be sure I'm checking it. But any coins I get back I don't bother to count. Mistakes happen and I can spare the dime or quarter if it means the cashier doesn't get in trouble.