Do You Always Update Your Apps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Parker • Aug 28, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an Android with limited internal storage. A good deal of space is taken up my Google apps that came pre-installed. I don't even use most of these apps.

Some of the apps that I did choose to download release a lot of updates. I used to always update my app, but now since my storage space is at a premium, I read the update and decide whether or not to update the app.

Do you install all the updates for your apps?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. I seldom pay attention to updates. I only update an app if it says that I can no longer use it if I don't update (like Shadowgun: Deadzone for instance. I cannot play the game if there's an update available).

There are times when I update an app, it ends up becoming a lot worse that it was before. That's the risk of updating. You don't really know if it would improve or not. If you would look around for app reviews, you'd see a lot of people complaining because of an update.

I currently have 20+ apps to update according to my device. I don't think that I'll update just yet.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I update as soon as I notice there is one. Of course I have an Iphone with a good amount of space and usually it auto-updates anyway. As for whether an update can be worse than the previous version, well I very rarely have a problem

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    If I like the apps when I first install it, then I do not mind using the apps. I usually do not update my apps every time there is any update. I think it is a waste of precious time and internet. Many a times, when I update the apps, I do not usually understand the difference in the app before and after updating. The last change I remember was a change in whatsapp, which was long time ago. I have also heard that many people face problem in their app after updating. Hence, I prefer not to update apps very often.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I can't really be bothered to update my apps. I have deleted quite a few of those that came pre-installed on my phone to make room for those that I really need, especially for my work. Every so often I get a reminder to update certain apps, but unless the application stops working properly and needs to be upgraded, I don't worry about it.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Updating all apps will just take up precious storage space. If I'm not using the app, I don't bother updating it. Sad that we can't uninstall these bloatwares. Of course, for the apps that I always use, updates are a must. Sometimes, I would read the comments about the last update first.

7. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    Not really. I often forget about updating my apps, and every now and then when I remember I'm surprised how far the app has come. I know I should be doing this a lot often though.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I sure don't.

I basically only update the ones I actively use. And even those, I only update from time to time when I feel like it's actually worthwhile. Unless it's a new feature or a bug fix, I just do it from time to time instead of paying much attention to every single update.

I do have plenty of storage, but I have limited data allowances so I don't want to waste it on constant updates.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only do it sometimes if the small red notification button starts to become noting enough or if I'm already browsing for new apps anyway and they are already in my peripherals so I might as well do it. I mostly only pay attention to the updates of apps that I actually love and use often as I'm always excite to see improvements and updates, but for some of the other ones that don't get as much of my attention I usually just leave them as they are.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Whenever that notification of updates pops up I just swipe it away from my phone. Some updates seem mandatory others seem pretty much useless and just a waste of data. And often times these apps update like every week or something so it's really annoying.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    If they're important updates I update but if it's just an update for the sake of updates then no. I still use the old Youtube app for Android and whenever it tells me to update I just swipe it away.

12. Brian3265

Brian3265New Member

Threads:
    I update my games constantly but some apps I just don't like to update.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My most important apps such as Gmail, Google Chrome, Twitter, Facebook, and Avira are on auto-update mode. I switched the others off because they are not really important. Personally, automatically updating apps is very convenient because I don't have to keep tabs of the apps that I have to update periodically. Also, I am sure that I have the latest versions all the time.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I update those apps that i consider my favorites and important to me, otherwise i just let the updates sit there for as long as apple lets me. Other times, i update the apps just for the hell of it. Currently, i have zero apps that needs updating. I updated all of them just recently because i was extremely bored that time and i was also cleaning up my phone from junk programs and what not.

15. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's more because i'm lazy than storage issues, but no, I don't. If the app stops working, then I update it and that usually works. I have a 64 GB iPhone so space isn't really an issue. I think I need to update 30+ apps.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I love updating my apps. It might sound weird, but I find it exciting when there's a new update and I can read all the changes they have made. Of course, most are disappointing "bug fixes" done to the app. The Spotify app is great, it usually has quite a few changes and they add in a little joke. It's not something to laugh out loud at, but I appreciate the gesture.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha I don't know if it is but I'm kinda the same way. Most of the apps are bug fixes but it's always nice to read about new features even if they're little. I appreciate the Spotify jokes as well.

18. AdrianC.Morcerf

AdrianC.MorcerfNew Member

Threads:
    It actually depends on the app itself. I will always update apps such as Facebook or Twitter, mostly because they'll recieve performance updates, bug fixes and so on, but for something like Google+, Hangouts and others like, I either completly disable them or never update, because I never use them. I had only two problems with this 'behaviour' so far: I once updated GMaps and lost a feature (offline caching if I remember corectly) and Tapatalk - the update from June totally messed the app for me.

19. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If we talk about an app that I use often, sure, I update the thing. The rest of them I only update rarely because of space issues or lack of interest. Plus, I like reading about updates first (the change log). I got into this habit after I updated some software I was using on my PC and the new version really messed up things. So it's safer to read a little instead of blindly accepting an update.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Updating takes too much time and attention, so I rarely keep my apps on update. I do only whenever I really need or whenever I have free time and nothing else important to do. Generally if it's really not needed to update, I keep them the same. It's really hassle to update. You'd have to leave your app unused, so you have to make sure that you will not be using the app for quite a time while it's updating.