Do You Always Update Your Apps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Parker • Aug 28, 2014.

1. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I usually update everything now, since storage space is no longer an issue. However, I do still read what the update is for and if I feel at all iffy about it, I'll update it on my old phone first. I hate when an app updates to something the developer thinks is so much better, but changes something that I truly loved about the app. I don't care if it's just the color of the app or even the icon in the app drawer, if I don't like it, I'll delay updating. I have one app that has been waiting for me to update for about a year, but I won't do it because they changed the icon and it looks stupid.

2. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    How I Update Apps

I always update my apps, and I constantly look for ways to be more productive with apps. Since my updates now are automatic, I don't worry about what I might be missing out from previous updates. I didn't really pay attention to what updates are necessary and which ones are not. I might need to read more of the documentations and their blogs for announcements on recent changes, but I don't see how a factory update could do any harm. These updates have usually undergone some checks prior to their releases. I enjoy reading user stories about the new updates and how they differ from their previous versions.

#22Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I always update all my apps, even though sometimes I know the previous version is better, I do it mostly to get rid of the icon and notification :)
    Nowadays it's so simple to update all the apps automatically that it's more trouble to not update them.

4. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    Yes! I have an iPhone and I've noticed that it becomes very important to keep all your apps updated. Especially when the phone has an new update to the operating system, a lot of your old apps may not work correctly any more, keep logging out, or may slow down your entire phone and zap your data because they can't load correctly. Plus you don't want to miss all the great updates that can fix previous issues or add new content and features to your favorite apps. I know it can be a pain and sometimes drain your battery a bit to keep everything updated, but you can automatically update while your phone is sleeping.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    My apps are set to automatically update on its own so that I don't have to worry about doing it. There are some that I update on my own though. I don't have to concern about storage limits because I don't have a lot of space used up on my phone and also bought an SD card.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If anything, updates really frustrate and annoy me. I once set my phone to automatically update all apps but some apps started malfunctioning (different apps have different update schedules). For instance, my Facebook was automatically updated while Candy Crush didn't have updates yet. I couldn't play the game through Facebook anymore because they're no longer compatible. My Candy Crush also hung every time I tried to open it through Facebook. I unclicked the auto-update setting and reverted everything to manual. Now I'm pretty fine the way things are. It's such a hassle to keep up with these updates.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you rather they never fixed anything or what? Of course different apps will have different update schedules, it's not one megacompany that does every app ever..

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I always forget to update my apps. There's always an update number and it's usually 50+, lol. I used to have it update automatically but I don't any more because I want to know what's updating and when. I'll go through and update them once every 3 months or so while I'm watching tv or something.

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely, updating apps helps to get rid of bugs and performance issues within apps. It also isn't that much of a hassle if you're using Android phones, since your phone can automatically check for apps which require updating and informing you accordingly. The only reason I could see why people would not want to update would be if a really unpopular feature was added, or if they had no access to Wi-fi networks and mobile data was very expensive.

10. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually update my apps until I receive a notice or something. I don't have too many on my phone until recently when I download some rebate grocery apps to try to make some money. They just can't leave good things alone :)

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no reason not to update an app. The updates make apps more stable and introduce new features, so I'm not going to worry about how much space they take up. Any decent phone today should have at least 16GB of internal storage, or at least feature expandable storage.

12. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. Some of my application have automatic updates and some even would not continue to the actual app if not updated like games. For this type of app I have no choice but to continue the update. However for some app like youtube, adobe reader, browsers I do not update unless very needed.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do, whenever I see apps need updating I will go ahead and do them. I dislike seeing the little number over the App Store whenever there are pending updates so I always do them as soon as possible!

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also someone who frequently updates their applications. I don't intentionally go and seek out updates though. There's no way to seek them out, if I am not mistaken. Your device, tablet, or smartphone usually alerts you to when there are updates. And I always just go with them and update, unless I am about to delete one of the applications that are due for update.

15. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Well, not unless I've read through the update logs and have determined that it's for the best. If there are add-ons that I don't like, like the inclusion of commercial banners, I usually don't upgrade or just roll back to a previous version.

16. rubik1

rubik1New Member

Threads:
    All of my apps auto update as I'm extremely lazy. Although this has caused me a couple problems in the past as a lot of app developers don't know when to just stop adding useless features/changing the UI, quite a number of app devs have ruined their apps with pointless updates so if you're not lazy I'd suggest not using auto update.

17. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    You should always update your apps. Sometimes i do find that an update is not better than the last version but that is very rare so i keep all mine on automatic update. Its important to update because there can be bug fixes that fix security issues and also performance optimizations to make the app run smoother. And with google pushing material design most apps are getting a fresh intuitive interface so you might want to keep all that in mind.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely update my phone apps manually because I think they are already being updated automatically such as Spotify and Camera 360. And anyway, I really don't care that much about getting new updates for my apps as long as they are functioning well.

19. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I used to automatically update them, but I've reconsidered that since I realized I was using up precious storage space. I had no idea that the updates were chipping away at my storage until recently. Now, if I can avoid it, I don't update.

20. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    My phone has quite a lot of internal memory so I tend to update all the apps as soon the update becomes available. I only ever keep apps that I know I am going to use and do not just keep them for the sake of having them because it can slow down your phone if your memory is always full.