Do you avoid buying electronics that require batteries?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by True2marie • Dec 25, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    For ease of use and in order to save a few bucks, for the past few years I have consciously avoided buying electronics that require batteries. This feat has not always been easy because there's always a trade off. You either have to put up with a dangling cord or constant back and forth to the store for AA batteries. Regardless, I prefer the cord.

So, do you avoid buying electronics that require batteries?

battery-saving-android.

2. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have always tried to avoid electronics with batteries. Batteries are really expensive for what they are. If I do need batteries I try to get the rechargeable ones.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, most electronic gadgets require batteries - cellphones, tablets, etc... But when a gadget requires me to put some cylindrical batteries into it, that's a big turn off. Imagine a cellphone that requires you to put 4 AA batteries. That would really suck. But there are some gadgets that I don't mind having to use such batteries like flashlights or wall clocks. So it really depends on the gadget. :D

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how I can't avoid buying electronics that require batteries lol. All my electronics like smartphones, t.v remote, watch, game controllers all require batteries. The least I could do is to opt for rechargeable batteries for some of the things so that I don't have to buy new batteries all the time.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Every electronic we own requires a battery of some sort. They need energy to be able to run and perform the task that they were created for. We can't avoid batteries and attempting to do so will lead to only more batteries!

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    Well, technically speaking, I do avoid buying electronics that require batteries. However, mobile phones is different because they have batteries but you are able to charge it without taking the batteries out or something. For instance, toothbrush, I tend to buy the one that you don't have to take out the battery and simply plug the toothbrush to the cord. I do think that most electronics have batteries, which depends on whether or not you want to buy the rechargeable ones, that's the difference.

7. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid electronics that require batteries as often as possible. Sometimes, it can't be avoided though, such as things as T.V. remotes. I was able to find an epilator that was not battery operated and a massager that also wasn't battery operated. They need to make more things that can be recharged just by being plugged into the wall without having to buy new batteries all the time. A dangling cord doesn't bother me because it is much less annoying than having to replace batteries all the time, especially when batteries run out so fast.

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I think about it, I HAVE been avoiding devices that use batteries, either that or they just haven't been making as many and just use chargers nowadays.
    All I know is that the only devices I regularly use now that still use batteries are my TV remote and the wireless Xbox 360 controller.

9. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    If I can I do avoid them, but because sometimes I have no choice but to buy electtonics that require batteries I bought several sets of rechargeable batteries that come in cheaper in the long run.

10. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same issue when it came to buying gadgets. My solution was to pretty just go out there and by rechargeable batteries and that made things alright. I came out with a good result. I dont have to avoid battery operated gadgets and i dont have to by batteries all the time.

11. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion it seems like most electronics these days don't really require your standard batteries (AAs AAAs etc.). This is true as far as phones, computers, tablets, etc. However I have noticed that kid's toys still require batteries most of the time. Especially coming out of the holiday season, I found myself in line having to grab batteries for products that stated in small print, "batteries not included." So my short answer, is yes. I do avoid buying electronics that require batteries.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do tend to avoid them unless they have a built in battery that I can just charge. I know I could just buy rechargeable batteries but I don't have that many items that require it and I'm a little bit undisciplined when it comes to charging them anyway. If there is a built in battery I could just charge the gadget itself instead which is way easier. The most popular item that I can think of that does this is Xbox controllers which require AA batteries. I was surprised when I learned this because I was used to Playstation controllers and when I found out I couldn't believe that they would decide to do it this way in this age, but I guess they have their reasons.

13. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I try to avoid anything that requires batteries whether electronic gadgets or my son's toys. It would be too much for my budget to keep on buying batteries every time they get drained. I prefer the rechargeable ones but if there's an option where I could choose between having rechargeable batteries or no batteries at all, I'd choose the latter. :)

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My desktop computer originally came with a bluetooth wireless mouse and a bluetooth wireless keyboard. Both of them used AA batteries. While at first I loved them both, and was thrilled at not having all these wires all over my desk, I quickly started to see the drawbacks of them as well. I was having to replace the batteries in both of them about once a month, especially the mouse. And when I would go to do this, it would almost always cause the devices to stop working and not sync back up to my computer. This would then result in me having to reboot my computer numerous times and try to reconnect them. In some cases I would literally have to unplug my computer from the wall and let it rest for a few minutes to clear out the memory on it. It was such a hassle overall, that I ditched them and went out and bought a traditional wired mouse and keyboard. They're actually kind of hard to find, since most places only carry wireless bluetooth models. I've been very pleased with both though and it's nice not having to waste money on batteries.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom use electronics that require batteries like AA or AAA. Most of the time, if a version of that electronic can be found with a cord, I'll usually get the corded version. Wireless capabilities aren't always necessary, especially since it's just my daughter and I here. There's less chance of an accident of one of us tripping than someone who lives in a bigger family. In any case, batteries are pricy, and the cheaper ones normally don't have much power to give. I don't like going back to the store to get batteries. I just try to avoid them if it can be helped.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't know what to say because I can't think of electronic items that have no batteries. Particularly the cellphone, the camera, the laptop and tablet, they are all using batteries and charging is a chore but not a burden. Even with toys, I bought a toy car last Christmas for a gift to a nephew. I was surprised when the boy opened the box and plugged the cord into the socket. I didn't know that its battery is rechargeable.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the OP probably wasn't referring to devices that clearly do use batteries. If I'm right, I also think she meant those devices that require those cylindrical AA batteries as opposed to devices that you can simply plug in to your mains to recharge. Of course most electronic devices require a battery of some sort, but where I have the option of going with versions that you can recharge simply by plugging them in, I will. These AA batteries don't last long at all, even the ones that are meant to.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean about AA batteries not lasting too long. My son goes through a lot of AA batteries for his Xbox controller. I am forever buying batteries. I just started buying the large economy pack from Costco. I always buy Duracell batteries but I've heard the Kirkland batteries are even better and about half the price for a large pack of batteries. The worst part about using all the batteries is I don't want to throw them in the garbage, our local library has a specific bin to recycle batteries properly. Then I'm storing all these old batteries until I have a bagful to recycle.

19. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Rechargeable batteries are an option. But, I do avoid buying any electronics equipment that may require batteries. I don't even own a flashlight that can't be plugged in. It makes no sense to me and frankly I am lazy. The fact that I can plug something in within my room makes me feel happy.

20. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    In relation to the this, we recently bought a toy yesterday which requires 4AA batteries for it to be able to work. I was discouraging my husband to buy it because we would need to buy batteries time and time again for that toy but our kid insisted that it's what he really wanted. Knowing my husband's wanting to always make our kid happy no matter what, he still bought the toy.