Do you back up your movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gmac9100 • Mar 23, 2014.

1. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I recently heard that you can legally back up movies, and music you own. Is that true? I think that would be a good way to preserve them. Considering disc, are easy to scratch, and break. You could simply back them up. and save them on a hard drive to keep for ever. I very interested in this idea. I would like to know has anyone else done it?

2. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I think right now it depends on what country you're in. I don't think it's legal in the U.S. right now to actually perform the action of digitally backing it up, although from what I've read, having the digital backup isn't illegal. It's the action of doing it that seems to be against the law, which is ironic, because it seems you could get around that by selling your movie to someone in another country, having them back it up, and then selling the original back to you along with the digital backup. I'm not sure if that's completely legal either, as the scene of the copyright world is in a state of flux right now. In fact, right now, it seems the most popular form of viewing movies is through streaming, such as Netflix or Hulu, and it doesn't take up storage space on your computer the same way a digital backup would.