Do You Bargain For Too Long

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by tonyb • Dec 3, 2016.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get it when customers spend a whole lot of time trying to make up mind to finally purchase an item. Some think about the cost, with notion the item is expensive. Some are bothered with the make and quality, while others may begin to consider the fitting if it's a wearable piece. My opinion, before setting out to buy a particular item the customer is supposed to have researched about the item and the prevailing price. I feel it's not dignifying enough trying to make up mind for a purchase right there in front of the salesman.

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't spend a lot of time in bargaining. I explain to the shopkeeper that I can only pay x amount for this product. Sometimes the shopkeeper agrees and sometimes we agree for the middle price between the seller's price and my price. I don't like to bargain for long.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I usually can tell when something is a good deal or not by just looking at it. If something is just a little bit expensive but I really want it, I buy it even if it's a risky purchase. I'm not rich by any means but I prefer not worrying about those things too much. Sometimes, too much thinking and bargaining can cause you to lose interest in an item at the moment then you'll regret it later.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I get irritated with the same. Especially when the difference is so subtle. I am a quick shopper, I ask discount only when I feel I deserve it, otherwise I don't bother.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I want to buy something I need for I seldom compare prices, I ask for the last price and if I think it is reasonable I would buy it. When I want to ask for a bargain, two or three haggling of prices are enough for me and I buy the item. I hadn't followed the ability of my late mother in haggling for the prices. She knew how to trap the sales lady or the owner of the store. She always got the best and not necessarily lower price but enough for her and enough for the seller.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do try to compare prices as I am always searching for ways to safe but I do not like taking too much time to do so. If I find an item is too expensive I will ask for a discount if I am told no or if the discount is too little then I rather leave it and not keep rambling about. If it's something I really want and the price is not too bad I purchase it right then and there.

7. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    No I cant! I always prefer fixed price places to buy anything.

8. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I also hate bargaining,I find it degrading. If I have money to buy a product,whether its impulse buying or planned, I usually ask for the last price of the product and if its worth it, then I go ahead and purchase the item.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't, in fact I avoid shopping centers which allow this practice. I want to go to places with fixed price and no bargaining whatsoever. But my wife loves bargaining and she can spend a whole day doing it. She doesn't like my presence around her when on shopping spree so I sit in a corner while she is engaged in her favorite pastime.

10. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I can bargain for quite long sometimes but it's when am testing the salesman. I always research on the product but you might find a salesman who is so up tight. It's good to bargain and tease them around even if you know the price. Bargaining is fun and you can make new friends.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bargain for too long because there is no point in that as the employees most of the time don't have the autonomy to make a discount. Just yesterday I got lucky though, I asked if she could give us an attention and I got a 9€ discount on a watch. :cool:

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry but that is perhaps one of the various reasons that certain shops keep their prices higher than actual price. They know that as a matter of practice their customers will indulge in long bargains so I feel the customer is still a loser even if he gets a discount. The shopkeeper tells you almost double the price and even if you get 30% through your bargaining he is still a gainer. I prefer fixed price shops.

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That doesn't happen everywhere @Ray1@Ray1 as most shops have employees who cannot make discounts as the price is just what it is. Maybe if we are buying something more expensive there is some margin for negotiation, but that is rare these days, at least where I live.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You gotta know our shops and their employees then. They are allowed to deal with customers with as much authority as the owners themselves. In fact, some of the shop owners appoint experts in certain fields like women's clothing with thrice as much price to begin with as our ladies bargain the most. They end up paying almost double even after their bargaining capacity and come back home with a feeling of a winner.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting that you mention that, it just shows how different is shopping in different cultures and countries. In my country is not really common to bargain in shops, but I always do it because I've got nothing to lose and something to win. If we are in a fair maybe we can bargain yes and many times we can get discounts.