Do You Bargain When Buying Electronic Gadgets?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lucykey • Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Not a lot of people bargain, and even the ones that do, they don't seem to possess the skill since it can very difficult to master it

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always bargain if I am buying at a store because the chances are that you will get a good discount due to a cutthroat competition in between the dealers and number of products available. I bought a Samsung fridge about 2 years before for gift purpose to a close relative's daughter. I was quoted 3 different prices in three different Samsung dealers' stores . I bought from the one who had quoted the lowest with an additional discount of INR 1000 and 680 Samsung points in my account.

3. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Those returns that you are talking about could be brand new and unused. I must watch out for those as just returns and not used could be a good deal to go for. I was not aware that there was a section for such items. You did get a great buy.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I guess it depend on store. Sometimes some store don't less even single penny even after lots of bargaining. So I don't think at such place we need to waste any time.

Personally these days I am mostly shopping online for electronics item. I get many good deals so that I can purchase the item in less price compare to offline market. So I can't bargain there but surely can get good discount.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In that case I suggest you to use Infibeam and eBay because they have some of the best refurbished deals on these two sites. eBay has another feature that allows you to bid at a fixed rate and if your offer is accepted by the seller you get it for a far lower price.

6. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I wished that would apply to all purchase systems. Bargaining is often limited to informal sectors like open markets or thrift stores and garage sales. In the shops like malls, you cannot bargain. You have no choice but to pay what is on the item. You only get some discount in cases of sales.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Not all came with fixed prices unless we are purchasing at popular stores that doesn't allow one to bargain. Aside from that, I don't think it's impossible to ask for a discount while buying most kd these electronics.

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have given up eBay after I had a bad experience with them. I will try the other site that you have recommended to check if there is anything of interest. Just because something is cheap I will not load my house unless I really need it (lol)

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    If you are shopping online. I don't think they allow you to buy the gadgets with some sort of bargaining option. That simply does not hold for most of the online sites. However there are some of the gadget shops online that may allow you to do just that. In that context it'd be reasonable to buy from shops which have some level of security and option to get cashback. So cashback can be one good option to chase instead of the bargain when buying from online stores.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @iamawriterEven I won't spend a paisa unnecessarily but if there is something that is of my interest and I am getting it for a far lower price then why not. For instance I bought a 2 Tb external hard disc from eBay at only INR 1800 which is generally available at more than INR 5000. I am not a person who would spend or suggest something which is not worthy. :)

I think you're missing a ot by not bargaining on well known brands these days as all the big brand showrooms are facing such a stiff competition from their fellow dealers and dealers of other similar products that they are happy to offer you from their own profit. They still save enough money and get intensive from the company for selling more products.

#30Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    May be I should check those offers that talk about the same brand. I never looked at them so far. I must thank @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady for bringing that to my notice. I am learning and this comment of yours has further reiterated that.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, but I equat it more to being extra careful and planning much more than with other purchases, that I might consider bargains. I just focus on what I need, and then go from there.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not generally, but I thought about doing this the other day in a store. I tend to bargain more if I am buying something from an individual seller or if it is something that I don't actually care that much about buying. This is just something that I might do.

14. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I am not good at bargaining at all and perhaps that's because I don't like to bargain, hence I seldom do that. I would prefer to buy things from the stores that I don't "need" to bargain, though I know there are places where we can get really great discount if we do so. For electronic gadgets, I usually buy at those gadget stores, and I don't know we can actually bargain. I think it might help me to save more if I learn how to bargain. :)

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe in that strategy too but even the stores with fixed price give "Special Discount" if you ask for it. They can't afford to lose a customer and they also know that a customer when offered a special discount on costly items (even if it goes from their own profit) stays with them forever. So try to ask a friendly question next time you visit a "Fixed Rate" store- "And what is the discount?" and see what happens :)

16. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Most electronic stores will not allow you to bargain for their goods, they have a fixed price which they will not change. So I have never had the experience for bargaining for such goods. But buying on Amazon, Ebay etc. during their occasional reduced prices sales is a a good option as you always get a great deal on such goods.

17. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I always bargain when it comes to buying electronic gadgets. Not only on electronic gadgets, but also on clothes, food and other products or stuffs. One of the reason why I do this is because I'm just a normal student that goes to school everyday. I have no work so I have no budget for any shopping.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you try bargaining next time you buy any electrical/electronics item from reputed brand's store and I am very much sure that they will offer you a handsome discount even if they have to adjust your from their own profit. As I mentioned earlier there is so much competition among dealers of same brand and other brands that they do not want to let go a customer. A dealer friend told me that they sell the item even if they have to sell it at par or on a very low profit since they depend on incentives depending on how many pieces they sold.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The same here @Jamille@Jamille I have been insisting on this very point that even if the companies have fixed price they still give you loyalty points or their dealers are ready to part from their profit just to keep the customer. In fact sometimes the dealers offer an extra discount from their share to attract new customers. If you look at the profitability the dealer selling more is earning more than the ones that are not offering discounts.

20. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I only try to bargain if I'm buying used things online ( can't even bargain in the mall, the prices are obviously fixed ) but it seems most sellers just aren't interested. Most people in my country really try to overcharge for used electronics of any kind - for example trying to charge 70 $ for a 6 years old used phone. I mean even if it was great ( and expensive ) back then it's not worth that money now and I sure as hell won't pay that.