Do you bathe you cat?

Discussion in Pets started by Ich bin Gia • Aug 26, 2012.

1. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I totally don't think you a crazy! I do the same thing with my cat however I bathe her 2x a year now. I used to do it once every season but life gets busy and I forget. I have been bathing my cat since birth too and she's an indoor cat! Yes I hear people say the same thing too- cat's bathe themselves but I'm sorry that 's the same as saying " well I don't need a bath, I washed up in the sink". Cats or pets in general need a good thourough bath at least once a year. You'd be surprised how much dirt your cat misses by just bathing on her own.

2. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    No, but years ago my brother and I did give two of our cats baths when they were younger. We just filled the bathtub and got them wet mostly. I think we just wanted to for no real reason, they were/are indoors only and very clean so there wasn't really a reason to but we did figure that it would keep them used to having baths and that way in the future if they ever needed a bath they wouldn't freak out.

You see, we rescued them when they were about a week old and raised them ourselves and they would get really messy after a feeding and sometimes would get poop on them (no mother cat to clean them) so my mom would hold them under the (gently running) facet and wipe the poop off. Because of that, they were used to water. They'd freak out if we tried to give them a bath now though, they haven't been given one in years.

3. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I tried bathing my cats when they were kittens. They didn't like it then and they never got used to it. I say if the cats will let you bath them, them more power to you . . .

4. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Cats do a pretty good job of keeping themselves clean, but yes, I have also bathed my cats in the past. Sometimes they need it to get rid of parasites like fleas or mites, and sometimes they need one because they have gotten into something nasty. Bathing them also cuts down on their constant hairball issues...which is welcome in my home. It can be tough to bathe a cat but definitely worth it.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't bathe our kitty either, because she's an indoor cat, so, no need to, really. Plus, even though she's fascinated by water, she hates having it on herself, so zt's not worth the stress for her and claw cuts for us. :)

6. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends, they do clean themselves but there has been a time a two that our cats have gotten into something or just come in from outside all dirty and we have given them a bath a time or two! But they don't like it too much,haha... If you cats are used to being bathed, why not, bathe them!!

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think this isn't a strange topic mate. This is actually a good topic because bathing our pets is essential. Yes it is true that cats have their own ways to clean themselves but then again how accurate could they be? I am sure that they could not get clean as clean as they should be so occasional bathing is good.

8. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    OMG!!! They actually let you bathe them. I thought water was like Krptonite to cats. lol!!! I am impressed. I would never try to wash a cat. I don't think I have ever washed a cat before. I had two cats years ago. I gotta give you props for that. ;)

9. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    Never. I have only indoor cats so there isn't really a need to bathe them.
    For some reason they enjoy water, though - they like to play in the sink and watch the water running.
    They also enjoy drinking from the faucet which is kinda funny.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Let them alone. Our cats hate bodies of water, especially a bath or a shower, though they are interested in sniffing a bathtub full of water. The only thing they enjoy doing is drinking water from the kitchen sink or shower tap. Cats clean themselves and when you have two that's even better!

11. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes cats get really dirty and need the extra help to get clean! My kitty does not bathe well, so I invested in some wipes. You can get cat bath wipes at almost any pet store and I find it much easier than bathing my cat. If your cats don't mind it, though, I don't see an issue!